recto boost advice

Neeklaus

so, i've been considering a slightly more verstatile setup. mainly what i'd like to do is be able to switch from some good rock tones to some metal tones. sounds like a pipe dream but anyway

i figure i should probably look into boosts, if for nothing else for an extra lead sound (which i'm dying for right now)

what do you guys suggest for the recto?

i've been leaning towards a tubescreamer i tried one out on a valve king the other day and it sounded so open and nice. opinions?

thanks!!

i run a Keeley Tube Screamer as a clean boost and leave it on all the time. it adds sustain, so helps with leads, but guess if it's on all the time you'd have to use the solo boost.

Core may be on to something, with getting a clean boost and something else to stomp on for leads.

i sometimes stomp on a fuzz pedal for leads, it's allright.

mine doesn't really like my MXR distortion, don't know how it would do with a Boss?

kindda wonder if some kind of Treble booster wouldn't be good for Recto leads? something like the Java Boost or guess that's what a Crispy Cream used to be?

IMO, nothing beats the sound and feel of an EQ pedal pushing the front of the amp, especially w/ a recto.

yeah i've played with my fish n chips eq boosting infront and it sounds good.

does anyone have experience with the 808 tube screamer reissue infront of a recto?
in front of that valve king it sounded good...i haven't had a hard on for tone in a while. it was just so rich and open sounding

I feel that a tubescreamer is nice for leads, but it doesn't give it enough of a boost. If you try to compensate by turning up the gain on the pedal, it feels too stiff. If you try to compensate by turning the gain up on the amp, it gets too buzzy. I play boosted all the time, however.

:|::QBB:
The Armadillo of leprosy":57c6d said:
yeah i've played with my fish n chips eq boosting infront and it sounds good.

does anyone have experience with the 808 tube screamer reissue infront of a recto?
in front of that valve king it sounded good...i haven't had a hard on for tone in a while. it was just so rich and open sounding

I just finished building a TS808 clone . It's totally stock right now but major tweaking will happen in the next few days and over the weekend . I'll be sending it out on a pedal tour soon ....your welcome to try it when it goes out .

I've used quite a few boosts with my DR.

My favorite is one of my modded SD-1s

the monte allums GT mod.

stock sd-1s are nice too.

I've had good results with my sd-808 TS type pedal. much smoother than a Sd-1

I didn't mind the eq pedal but it was noisy.

I don't like the mirco amp or the other clean boost with a tone control, i prefer somthing with an nice mid boosting eq curve, not something that boosts the snot out of every freq

didn't like the Ds-1 much tho.. dind't jive with me tooo much low end in the tone.

Brae

I use a Maxon OD808 infront of my Single Recto. Gain at about 8-9, Level on max. Gain on amp dialed back in vintage mode. I think it sounds pretty damn good.

griff10672":bebf6 said:

I just finished building a TS808 clone . It's totally stock right now but major tweaking will happen in the next few days and over the weekend . I'll be sending it out on a pedal tour soon ....your welcome to try it when it goes out .

Where do you live? Your location says "the Alamo" - if you are in San Antonio, I'd love to check out your pedal.

no man sorry ... I live in Rhode Island

The Alamo is from when Ozzy got arrested pissing on it .. that's the mugshot ( my avatar ) from when he was booked in the morning . He was shit faced drunk ( big surprise ) in a womens robe or something when they arrested him . So in the morning one of the cop's gave him the Blues jersey to wear instead of the nightgown he had on .

you can still be on the list to check out the pedal ... I've got a pedal in Texas right now actually ...

the 808 will be tested and tweaked this weekend . I'm hoping to get it out by the week after next . Shoot me a PM with your info ... and we'll work it out .

i picked up a mxr zakk wylde overdrive pedal.. so far it's pretty decent. just really freaking noisy.

more to come after i have more time to really play with it.

I used a Maxon OD808 in front of my 2 channel Recto. I liked Modern Red channel cloned to Vintage Orange (yes, it does sound different).

Used the tube rectifiers and man, did it give a SMOOTH lead sound... I mean SMOOTH, LIQUID and SUSTAINING as in for days!

Back