REVIEW: Peters Dual Channel......

• Thread starter Thread starter SteveVHT
  • Start date Start date
SteveVHT
SteveVHT
Where to start????
First, I will say WOW.....
I am thoroughly impressed. Not only with the build quality, but the sound and customer service. James is about as good of a guy as they come. I got this amp from our own Randy Van Sykes...Another great guy. And thank you for the quick shipping and smooth deal bro....
The amp has the Halo clean channel and the Gryphon gain channel.
The power tubes are KT77's and preamps are sovteks and one JJ.
I'll start with the astonishingly clean Halo channel...
Really clean and unique. There are a lot of tones from this one channel. It has such a warmth and sparkle to it. The notes are very well balanced and clear at any volume. There is a nice thickness to single notes and even more so with chords. You can dial in Fender-like cleans or modern cleans with controls that actually do what they are supposed to.
Then comes in the boost control on the clean channel. It has 4 positions that add to it from sparkling in the first position, an added drop of balls and thickness in the second position, then pushing into Blackface territory in the third position, and finally super punch cleans in the 4th.
And the amazing part is that it stays clear as hell in all 4. You can get the clean channel to break up by dialing in more gain and lowering the master.... For the most part I kept the gain around 10:00 and she amazed me....But I can see a corksniffer loving this amp for vintage tones just in the clean channel...
Enough with the clean channel......
The Gryphon channel.....
Wow...fuckin WOW...Fuckin WOW.....
This channel simply KILLS....
It can go from mild OD to balls out death metal and never skip a beat. It is extremely articulate and clear under any settings. It stays tight and never muds out even if you pin the gain and set the boost on the 4th position.
The controls are very simple as with the clean channel, and do what they say they do. The added Depth and Presence are extremely responsive too.
I had the amp dialed in in minutes to where I loved it. It has a super tight sounds for rhythm and a singing lead tone in the same settings, which is very rare with most high gainers. Notes sustain like crazy and are full and rich no matter what you play. It can get the super tight crunchyness of a Mesa Mark 3 or 4, and sing like a violin for leads.
Even in higher gain settings, the amp is extremely quiet. This channel can do Marshall type vintage gain to over the top sick tight metal.
I settled in with the gain about 12:30-1:00 and the boost on position 2.
And the real shocker was it's response to my guitars volume...WOW.. It cleans up beautifully with just the guitars volume....
I was lucky enough to have a killer bass player and drummer come down and put it through it's paces in a jam situation, and it delivered more than I was expecting.
I played the amp through 3 cabinets tonight, so I only scratched the surface of this things tones. I used a Marshall 1960B with 75's.... OK sounding, but like all 75 loaded cabs, it couldn't handle the bass and volume. Then I tried the Fuchs 2x12, open back with Eminence speakers...A bit too vintage sounding...
Then came the Custom Audio/Suhr 4x12 with Mesa MC90's....Simply amazing sounding... Huge, thick and articulate with the ultimate tightness and bass response and no harsh top end...I think we have a winner...
:D

Doug, from Dougstubes.com was down there, and hung out for the night. I think he was pretty impressed with the amp and sound. He also noticed I had it on low power with the master about 9:30-10:00 and it cut through the bass and drums with no effort.(Note-This is a 50 watt Peters...so 100 watts is just stupid and a waste of money)
And the killer is that it turns out my KT77's are very badly mis-matched.. One registering .26mA and the other at .35mA...So I need to throw in a new set. I'm also going to try some Sovtek 12ax7aWB's in V1 and V2. James said it will make the amp even more focused sounding, which I can't imagine...LOL

So I can honestly say that I am extremely impressed with this amp. I will surely buy another Peters and suggest everyone else tries one or buys one. I've always been impressed with the clips I've heard, especially with RVS's...and I can tell you the amp sounds a million times better in person, and his clips are simply amazing as is his playing.

So my hat is off to you James....You have literally blown me away with your amps. I am thoroughly impressed with every aspect and their flexibility. And the clarity is god damn impressive......
You have a customer for life........
Steve

RVS quick shipping?!?!?!?!?!?? That freaking moose that delivered my guitar must have been sick :x :D

I have always enjoyed Adam's clips of that amp, loved how the metal core kids said not enough gain :D

Congrats man, nice amp.

I just read this whole review for the 2nd time (also on hc). The second time through did nothing to dampen my hankering for a Peters. :cry:

>|<>QBB<
PeteLaramee":d2dc7 said:
I just read this whole review for the 2nd time (also on hc). The second time through did nothing to dampen my hankering for a Peters. :cry:

Pete...just have Bruce custom make you a module instead of another amp! I really have been gassing for a Peters amp for over a year now...really the only one out there I want to buy!

I'm glad you're digging it Steve....nice review! ...and If the power tubes are that mismatched, it will only sound better once you put in a matched pair. ;)
Strange if those are the power tubes that I sent, they weren't mismatched here.

>|<>QBB<
Randy Van Sykes":644ea said:
I'm glad you're digging it Steve....nice review! ...and If the power tubes are that mismatched, it will only sound better once you put in a matched pair. ;)
Strange if those are the power tubes that I sent, they weren't mismatched here.

Yeah... I wound up calling James last night when I was just plugging it in. I was trying to see if I was doing something wrong setting the bias. First I got .47 mA on the left tube, and .36 on the right. So I dialed it in with a high quality DMM.
Then when I switched probes, the same thing happened in revers.
So I settled in with one at .35mA's and the other at .26
No biggie...
Doug will get me a matched set ASAP....
I'm also going to try some Mullard EL34's that I have a matched quad of.
I'll dial her in and hit the record button this Wednesday...
Steve

That could possibly be one of the most thorough and over the top positive reviews for an amp I've ever read. I've always wanted to try one of James's amps, the clips on his site sound fantastic and now I'm gassin big time for one. Let's see,..the list grows with what I might buy/try this year:

Peters Custom Dual Channel
VHT Sig X
VHT Deliverance
Splawn Quick Rod

>|<>QBB<
cibyl":2634e said:
That could possibly be one of the most thorough and over the top positive reviews for an amp I've ever read. I've always wanted to try one of James's amps, the clips on his site sound fantastic and now I'm gassin big time for one. Let's see,..the list grows with what I might buy/try this year:

Peters Custom Dual Channel
VHT Sig X
VHT Deliverance
Splawn Quick Rod

If I am not mistaken, all 3 Halo clips and all 3 Gryphon clips are this amp I got....
I know RVS had the gain dialed way back also....
Steve

>|<>QBB<
SteveVHT":d0e64 said:
>|<>QBB<

If I am not mistaken, all 3 Halo clips and all 3 Gryphon clips are this amp I got....
I know RVS had the gain dialed way back also....
Steve
Just the first Halo clip on James site isn't your amp.

Back