RHOADS

• Thread starter Thread starter Samhain
  • Start date Start date
I recorded this episode of Metal Shop when it first aired. I remember the day well, because at that time I had developed a weird condition where I would get hammered drunk, take a shit, and then pass-out on the bathroom floor! It happed a half dozen times or so, then stopped. Anyway, the live version of "I Don't Know" that Kevin DuBrow mentioned, is the same recording that's on the Tribute album. Ozzy re-recorded the vocal track; though I don't know why? The original vocal work sounded great.

In remember as a teenager staying up to listen to this on a friday night. I had taped it and of course lost it years ago. RR was and always will be next to EVH, my all time favorite! He was awesome 🙏😎

I recorded this episode of Metal Shop when it first aired. I remember the day well, because at that time I had developed a weird condition where I would get hammered drunk, take a shit, and then pass-out on the bathroom floor! It happed a half dozen times or so, then stopped. Anyway, the live version of "I Don't Know" that Kevin DuBrow mentioned, is the same recording that's on the Tribute album. Ozzy re-recorded the vocal track; though I don't know why? The original vocal work sounded great.
Same here bro🤣🤣🤣
This was a great radio show!!!!

Randy’s stuff is timeless. Those songs he wrote with the Blizzard of Oz sound better better with each listen.

Randy was the best and ozzy a baffoon. Rhoads wanted to quit rock guitar and study Classical fulltime at the end of 1982.
Now were stuck with poo fighters, rap & miley cyrus til the end of my lifetime.
Sorely missed.

In remember as a teenager staying up to listen to this on a friday night. I had taped it and of course lost it years ago. RR was and always will be next to EVH, my all time favorite! He was awesome 🙏😎
I had a bunch of tapes from those days. Like a dumb-ass, I threw them away. Why, I have no idea? Dumb!

Randy was the best and ozzy a baffoon. Rhoads wanted to quit rock guitar and study Classical fulltime at the end of 1982.
Now were stuck with poo fighters, rap & miley cyrus til the end of my lifetime.
Sorely missed.
Fr todays mainstream is sad . Once mtv stopped playing rock mainstream kids downt know what rock is unless parents show them . As a guitar teacher this problem blows.. these kids don’t know songs with any guitar period

Is it true that Ozzy re-did his vocals in the studio on the live Tribute album?

I don't have another icon or inspiration that comes near the neo-classical magnificence that RR brought to the table - he's just in his own exalted category for me - untouchable, and still telling me to play proper, with technique, with purpose, and with discipline.; but musically too. That's the influence he continues to have on my playing, even after so many years since his passing - Blizzard and Diary - they're enough to keep me grounded and inspired just as they did back when those albums were released and blew my fucking mind.

George Lynch commented on how much Randy progressed in such a short period of time. Randy's meteoric progress was the result his collaborations with professionals like Gary Moore, Ozzy, Bob and Lee. I just can't imagine why Randy agreed to get aboard a stolen Beechcraft Bonanza airplane (same model Buddy Holly and Patsy Cline died in) with a coked-out bus driver. I mean, WTF? The only logical conclusion I can come up with, is the psychological effect of touring. i.e. Indestructibility.

Is it true that Ozzy re-did his vocals in the studio on the live Tribute album?

Yep. In parts. Randy's playing is also sliced and diced between a few performances/parts to piece together the best parts. It is a "Tribute" after all! the whole thing was eq'd a litle diff to make it sound homogenous to my ears. If you go on youtube and listen to the many bootlegs there now are of Randy playing live, the tone isn't quite as cutting and often you can hear the chorus more.

George Lynch commented on how much Randy progressed in such a short period of time. Randy's meteoric progress was the result his collaborations with professionals like Gary Moore, Ozzy, Bob and Lee. I just can't imagine why Randy agreed to get aboard a stolen Beechcraft Bonanza airplane (same model Buddy Holly and Patsy Cline died in) with a coked-out bus driver. I mean, WTF? The only logical conclusion I can come up with, is the psychological effect of touring. i.e. Indestructibility.

and boredom. Beautiful day, taking pics thousands of feet from the ground, a little rebellious, what could happen...but I agree, generally speaking, there are safety protocols around planes and pilots for a reason. It was a very foolish decision to get in that plane.

On Ozzy Osbourne... Ozzy may be toast now, but, he was an accomplished song writer. Without Ozzy's melodies, those songs would never have existed. Same goes with his work with Black Sabbath. For all of his antics, he was lucid and intelligent. Even if he didn't actually write his own lyrics (as some have said), he wrote the melody to all those songs. An incredible body of work to say the least.

Rhoads gave us double-tracking and panning techniques in the studio mix. He had a talent for repeating a riff exactly the same as what had just been recorded. He was playing gigs to pay for his planned transition to a university for a Ph.D. in guitar music. Told Ozzy he was going to quit gigging and that if Ozzy didn't stop drinking he would kill himself.

I read "I am Ozzy". Great book. A+. I also read Iommi's "Iron Man". Both are essential books IMO.

Back