Rick interviews Cantrell

• Thread starter Thread starter RaceU4her
  • Start date Start date
Nice! Been waiting for this since he posted that short clip about odd time signatures

Very good interview. Jerry's style is pretty much instantly recognizable. Love AIC... especially when I'm boozing. Actually, when I'm boozing I love everyone.

Nice! Been waiting for this since he posted that short clip about odd time signatures
At what time stamp, I don't want to listen to the whole thing. That said I do like odd time signatures so I'm interested.

I LOL'd when Jerry talks about the riff from "Check My Brain" making one feel sick, but then finding relief in the chorus. That is EXACTLY how I feel about many AIC tunes, and one of the reason I love the band. "Junkhead" is another example..."Grind" as well. Cantrell will always be one of my absolute favorites. Killer player, singer and above all, songwriter.

I LOL'd when Jerry talks about the riff from "Check My Brain" making one feel sick, but then finding relief in the chorus. That is EXACTLY how I feel about many AIC tunes, and one of the reason I love the band. "Junkhead" is another example..."Grind" as well. Cantrell will always be one of my absolute favorites. Killer player, singer and above all, songwriter.
THIS 100%

Jerry is top 5 for me. Always has killer riffs and seems like a good human in general.

He's played such a variety of gear over the years...if you had to pick one amp to kinda do his thing, what would it be? Bogner or Friedman?

I really need to watch this after work! Cantrell is a big influence on my writing and playing!

Jerry is top 5 for me. Always has killer riffs and seems like a good human in general.

He's played such a variety of gear over the years...if you had to pick one amp to kinda do his thing, what would it be? Bogner or Friedman?
I'm no expert on Bogners...But it seems like the 101B would be best if you could only have one amp to cover his entire pallet of tones.

Last edited:
In the interview he mentions that he's back using the Bogner Fish preamp (on latest record and live) which was pretty interesting. Good luck finding one of those though if you want to cop AIC tones.

Assuming his Friedman sig amp would still be the easiest way to get his core sound? I've never played it but I think he's been using it live for years

That was a GREAT interview for many of the reasons you all have alluded to already. I just love the HONESTY in JC's answers, and to that end, he is one of the guitarists I hold in very high regard because of that. He may not be the most "WOW" guitarist out there, but he is the KING of making "something" into something HUGE. Understated as all get-out, but perfect at what he does. Good interview questions from Rick as well. I'm actually starting to like the guy.

I'm no expert on Bogners...But it seems like the 101B would be best if you could only have one amp to cover his entire pallet of tones.
Perhaps, I've never had a standard 101b. I've had the xtc classic, 20th ann xtc, Uber blue, Shiva 6l6 and 20th ann Shiva kt88. For me, of all those, the xtc classic was best for aic. That said, we are splitting hairs between the different xtc models. The 20th ann Shiva could pull it off as well. You can also get there, mostly, with some of the smaller bogners like the atma and probably even the 3534

In the interview he mentions that he's back using the Bogner Fish preamp (on latest record and live) which was pretty interesting. Good luck finding one of those though if you want to cop AIC tones.

Assuming his Friedman sig amp would still be the easiest way to get his core sound? I've never played it but I think he's been using it live for years
Facelift tone is THE AIC tone for me. Which, was either a slightly modded boosted 65 Bassman OR the Snorkler(Dude who owns the Snorkler said the Marshall was used for Leads, and cleans while the Bassman was the dirty Rhythm).....
But, if you can locate the We Die Young demo, Jerry used his Randall RG100es, and it sounds almost spot on to the record. Clearly it's how he dials it, and everything in his signal chain contributes.

AIC and Jerry are one of my ALL time faves but man, I can't stand that guy he has singing with him on his solo stuff. They need to turn Jerry's mic up and the other dude's mic OFF.....lol

Anybody know which channel? It has 4 channels. And is the Mysankov Big Fish a decent clone?

Back