Roadcases, universal for many heads

• Thread starter Thread starter blackba
  • Start date Start date
blackba
blackba
Are there any universal road cases that would fit a number of amp heads?

Here is what I have:
Marshall 2553
Mesa Mark IV Medium head
Orange Rockerverb 50
Fender Bandmaster Reverb
Vox AC50CP

The Marshall Mesa and Orange are not that different dimensionally, so I thought I might be able to get one road case for the 3 heads.

I might be getting an Vox AC30CC or AC50 head (May be released at NaMM) to replace my Vox AC15TBX so I would hope if might work for that too.

Any good road case companies to check out?

...I am not sure what to do about my cabs, one issue at a time.

What you should look at doing is measure your biggest head. Get a roadcase for that, and buy extra foam so use when you use other heads.

Quality cases here:

http://www.audiopile.net/products/Cases/Case_products_page.asp

>|<>QBB<
Code001":62ac8 said:
What you should look at doing is measure your biggest head. Get a roadcase for that, and buy extra foam so use when you use other heads.

Quality cases here:

http://www.audiopile.net/products/Cases/Case_products_page.asp

I like that Audiopile gives the dimensions unlike alot of other flight case sites like affordable cases.

It looks like the amp SVT head case might be the ticket. Here are all the dimensions:

Marshall 2553: 24W X 9.25D X 9 H
Mesa Mark IV: 23.5W X 11D X 9.25H
Orange Rockerverb 50: 21.66W X 11D X 10H
Fender BMR: 25W X9.25D X 12.75H

Vox AC30CCH (if I get it): 24.25W X 10.4D X 10.8H

http://www.audiopile.net/products/Cases/Guitar_amp_cases/SVT-001/SVT-001_cutsheet.asp

Any good ideas where to get some extra foam to fill up the empty space, other than www.foambymail.com

I am debating getting soft padded covers for the heads versus the road cases, since the road cases add about 40-50lbs to the weight.

What is prompting this is my band finally played it first gig last night and I need to do something to protect my gear.....

I am playing keys and guitar so I have 2 rigs to haul. I got a hard road case first for my 88 weighted keyboard and that is a pain to carry, so now I am using a soft case. I don't want to run into that with these head or speaker cabinet road cases.

Just remember, if you put your cabs in a shockmount case, they're gonna be HEAVY.

IF you need extra foam I have a ton where I work, I could check it out what I have and send it to ya.

>|<>QBB<
blackba":7cb1e said:
>|<>QBB<

Any good ideas where to get some extra foam to fill up the empty space, other than www.foambymail.com

What is wrong with them? I was thinking about using them to re-foam my Marshall 412 flight cases...

>|<>QBB<
Digital Jams":7cb1e said:
IF you need extra foam I have a ton where I work, I could check it out what I have and send it to ya.

Digital,

If blackba doesn't want that foam...I do!! Let me know, I'll be happy to pay shipping and whatever for it... :D :D

>|<>QBB<
Code001":9788e said:
No clue where to get foam actually. Sorry.

Any fabric store should have a good selection of block and rolled foam suitable for roadcase use. I also have had some luck at Army/Navy supply stores.

Just remember guys, that foam is special foam. It's EXTREMELY tough and hard to manipulate.

>|<>QBB<
killertone":8c235 said:
>|<>QBB<

Digital,

If blackba doesn't want that foam...I do!! Let me know, I'll be happy to pay shipping and whatever for it... :D :D

Nothing wrong with foambymail, I was just seeing what was out there.

Its probably going to take me a while to decide on the cases, so if you want it go for it. If the foam will work on my walls though, I am definetely interested as I need to eliminate some standing waves.

>|<>QBB<
SgtThump":e7cd3 said:
>|<>QBB<

I had a roadcase for my Marshall DSL, one for my first VHT, and one for my Diezel. I've come to the conclusion that they're a waste of money for me. They turn your head into a big bulky pain in the ass. Now if you throw your stuff in the back of a pickup, go for it! That would be sweet and it would protect your head. But I squeeze all of my stuff into a small car where every inch matters and the roadcases screws all of that up.

I'd go for the padded covers. I think I'll do that myself at some point.

That is the problem, I am using a pickup truck. My current truck is a GMC sonoma, regular cab, looking at getting a GMC Canyon Quad cab in the next few months. I have soft cover over the back. Right now I can roll it down and get everything in, but if I start getting road cases for everything I would have to leave the cover open. I could use my Old Oldsmobile, but the rear seats don't fold down and its a pain to load.

The other thing up in the air is how much we are gigging. My goal is 2-4 times per month. But we don't have that setup yet. I mean if I only gig 6-12 times per year, road cases aren't worth it.

I am actually surprised you didn't use Road cases for your amps and cabs with as much as you gigged, I guess I assumed all guys who were playing Friday & Sat every weekend used road cases.

>|<>QBB<
SgtThump":746ed said:
>|<>QBB<

They would be pretty cool to protect your stuff in the bed of a pickup. I can see using them that way...

I actually did use road cases for my heads when I was gigging more, but I don't think I really needed them. I could've easily gotten by without one. I'm doing the vinyle cover or padded gig bag from now on. I'd like to get one for my 4x12" cab and two heads, but heck, even those aren't all that cheap.

The padded covers from www.lecover.com run around $50-75 for a head or 212 cab. Sounds like that may be my best option. Considering the more road cases I get, the harder time I will have fitting the gear in my truck.

Hopefully I will get this figured out before the next gig :D

Anyone have any experience with these type of cases?
The head case looks to be about $170 and the 212 case about $300 :o

http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?ItemPos=3&TempID=4&DepartmentID=1&STRID=14451&CategorySubID=665&CategoryID=665&BrandID=0&CategorySubPriceRangeID=0&pagesize=10&Method=3&PriceRangeID=0&SortMethod=&SearchPhrase=&Contains=&Search_Type=Department&GroupCode=&categorysubsearch=true

http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?ItemPos=5&TempID=6&DepartmentID=1&STRID=14451&CategorySubID=665&CategoryID=665&BrandID=0&CategorySubPriceRangeID=0&pagesize=10&Method=3&PriceRangeID=0&SortMethod=&SearchPhrase=&Contains=&Search_Type=Department&GroupCode=&categorysubsearch=true

The other guitar player in my band uses one similar for his mark IV combo, we can't seem to find the company to order another one though.

Any other companies with these type of plastic cases, I am going to check out gator next...

Bump...

Anybody have the SKB head case, any comments?

Gator makes a nice looking combo case in the G-212, I may give that a try.

http://www.spider-engineering.co.uk/music/typeproducts2.asp?id=2835-2576
they go for about $170

when you buy your roadcase, just ask for some 6x6 (or similar) foam squares of different thickness; they may have some scrap pieces they'll give you for free

>|<>QBB<
cobrahead1030":38777 said:
when you buy your roadcase, just ask for some 6x6 (or similar) foam squares of different thickness; they may have some scrap pieces they'll give you for free

Good Idea, I think I saw some at work in the mail room. I am sure they will let me have those.....

Got the SKB-720 head case on order, should only add about 20lbs.

>|<>QBB<
SgtThump":5cf64 said:
>|<>QBB<

Cool! Let us know what you think when you get it!

Will do, it looks to be a good compromise between a padded cover and a traditional wood road case.

I am going to take some detailed pictures if it works out well, not really impressed with the ones you find on the web of it....

Back