Schaller, Gotoh, or Original Floyd Rose?

ledvedder

Hi everyone, Merry Christmas!

I'm considering replacing the Washburn branded FR on my N24. Compared to my Wolfgang and other guitar that has a Floyd, thus one just feels cheap and seems to affect the tone in a bad way. Which model should I choose for a replacement?

Attachments

• IMG_20181121_094805__01.jpg
    IMG_20181121_094805__01.jpg
    372.6 KB · Views: 1,170
The Schallers on my usa washy dimes are great. And the o.g. Floyds with brass block upgrades on my USA Deans are great too. Trust me when i tell you I abuse them. Can't go wrong with either in my opinion. Just be sure to install the matching posts.

rottingcorpse":oygrmiil said:
The Schallers on my usa washy dimes are great. And the o.g. Floyds with brass block upgrades on my USA Deans are great too. Trust me when i tell you I abuse them. Can't go wrong with either in my opinion. Just be sure to install the matching posts.
I would search the webs to see if others have swapped bridges on that guitar to see in there are any sizing issues

scottosan":31m25bty said:
rottingcorpse":31m25bty said:
I would search the webs to see if others have swapped bridges on that guitar to see in there are any sizing issues
Yep, I've tried that. I've posted some questions on the Washburn forums and never received any responses.

ledvedder":1pvy0c64 said:

I'm considering replacing the Washburn branded FR on my N24. Compared to my Wolfgang and other guitar that has a Floyd, thus one just feels cheap and seems to affect the tone in a bad way. Which model should I choose for a replacement?

I wouldn't swap out the OEM Floyd Rose bridge on that guitar. Have you ever considered changing the tremolo block on that guitar to a Floyd Rose upgrade blocks?

Guitar George

Hamer95USA":111seynw said:
ledvedder":111seynw said:

I wouldn't swap out the OEM Floyd Rose bridge on that guitar. Have you ever considered changing the tremolo block on that guitar to a Floyd Rose upgrade blocks?

Guitar George
Why wouldn't you swap the FR? I did put a brass block on it, but it still doesn't seem as solid as my other Floyds. Also, the fine tuners aren't very smooth, which bothers me.

ledvedder":2au3bq06 said:

I've had multiple Caparisons, they all use Schaller FRT/Floyd Rose Trem II. The base plate is much thicker, and they just feel much more substantial than the other Floyds. Especially if you upgrade the block on them, they are a solid brick of a trem. Those trems would be my first choice in upgrading.

While looking at the various replacement options, none of them have the angled baseplate like the one that's currently on my N24.

I dont have any experience with Floyd Upgrades, but Rick from Killer Guitar Components makes really cool uprgrades for the floyd. He runs his own machine shop so he can make custom parts. The Graphtech Floyd has small screws and weird spacing, but we got it figured out and it makes the guitar resonate so much more.

I personally prefer the Gotoh.
Owned tons of guitars. And I really liked them the best.
But that being said all my guitars have original Floyd’s on em. :LOL: :LOL:

I replaced the Schaller on my Cap with a Gotoh and I love it. Both are quality trems with quality metals. You may want to look at the tech specs of each and choose based on materials.

As far the angle on the back of the Washburn trem...don't have an answer for that. One of the trems might still fit in the area depending on the size of their baseplate.

@ledvedder Did you ever come up with a solution for this? I am trying to replace an S600 trem with a Gotoh trem but it didn't come with a locking nut. I am finding that locking nuts are made in about 100 different formats. Did you find a trem, and more importantly, a locking nut that works?

Back