Sennheiser e609 or Audix i5 to go along with SM57 for miking cabs?

Chubtone

I really like the sounds I have been getting with my old Shure SM57 on my cabinet. I know there are some newer mics that are supposed to be direct competitors to the SM57 for miking guitar amps. Have any of you guys decided if the Sennheiser e609 or Audix i5 blows the SM57 away or if one of them works better than the other combined with the SM57?

Thanks

I prefer using 2 SM57's. The E609 is alright, but I wasn't a big fan. The MD421 also works really well with an SM57, but it's pricey.

I have all three of those mics. For live, I use the I5 mostly. For recording I use a 57 and 609 or 57 and I5. The 609 adds a crisp top edge that the 57 lacks. The I5 is pretty scooped in the low mids so the 57 fills in that area.

I don't like the I5 or 609 alone for recording. With your mic pre it might be a whole nother story though.

Im running an sm57 an a 906, which is pretty much the 609 but with a voicing switch. The 57 is obviously an industry standard, but is lacking in upper midrange and presence, which the 906 fills in. Its taken a while for me to best understand how to pair them, but im getting pretty good at it now. All the clips in my sig were stereo mic'd with this pair

James

I'm a fan of the MD421 and 57 combo, the MD421's are real "true" sounding(but pricey obviously), and the 57 gives the grit. I've never been a fan of e609's, too much hair, I'd rather bring that back with EQ around 5k for cut and high end presence.

-Nick

take a look at the ATM650. I much prefer this to an i5 or 609S in stand alone cab micing. if you're mixing with a 57, then yes an i5 or 609S will complement, but for substitution, then the ATM650 works very very well. also, the ATM650 is hyper-cardiod which can be beneficial in live use.

the 609 stinks... I have on new in box if anyone wants it..

I like a single 57...

The only other cab mic I would look into is a sennheiser 421...

I have never got a sound out of an e609 with my Marshalls that I really liked. Weird eh? :confused:

57 always sounds good to me though. :yes:

:|::QBB:
Telephant":00e0a said:
I have never got a sound out of an e609 with my Marshalls that I really liked. Weird eh? :confused:

57 always sounds good to me though. :yes:

Drag the 609 through your yard and spill some beer on it, then it should work for you. :D

I have 57's, E906, i5, sm58 and AT4050. The 57 is my favorite on a loud, distorted guitar cab. I only recently got the i5. As cheap as these mics are, I figured if there's something better than the 57, I want it. It has a bit more direct/forward feel, and a little brighter than the 57.

I am only basing this on my home studio mic preamps, Chandler Germaniums. 57 is the King thru them.

Live I use an E609 and an SM57 - not in stereo, but blended together. I hate adding EQ at the board, the two of these together gets a really nice sound.

Pete

I recorded all of my Retrofitted CD with a 57 and a 609, however, I've grown to like a 57 and beta 57 more. To my ears, the i5, 609 and even the MD421 have a graininess on the upper mids/top end that is unpleasing to my ears on high gain guitar. Now on the kick, I think the 421 kicks major bootay.

e609 alone can get a little too bright for sure!

i like to use it about 12 inches away from the grill on the outer 1/3 of the edge of the speaker!

Back