Soldano SLO 100 - Pickups, Cabs, Etc?

• Thread starter Thread starter NewWorldMan
  • Start date Start date
NewWorldMan
NewWorldMan
As some of y’all know, I’ve had SLOs in the past. They were cool, but weren’t really my thing. Briefly tried a Mk 2 model which was a little better IMO than the older ones I had.

Well, recently picked up a 2005, and I think I’m digging it. It’s better than the other OGs I had (for me at least).

Currently playing around with various combos of things - pickups, cabs, etc. That said, what does everyone like using with these and what do you think they play well with?

Crappy (too bright and gainy) phone clip because why not:

As some of y’all know, I’ve had SLOs in the past. They were cool, but weren’t really my thing. Briefly tried a Mk 2 model which was a little better IMO than the older ones I had.

Well, recently picked up a 2005, and I think I’m digging it. It’s better than the other OGs I had (for me at least).

Currently playing around with various combos of things - pickups, cabs, etc. That said, what does everyone like using with these and what do you think they play well with?

Crappy (too bright and gainy) phone clip because why not:

Dude! That sounds frickin' vicious. Whatever that combination of gear is, it's a winner!

SLOs were designed to be played through Greenbacks, as Vintage 30s had not yet become readily available by then. Mike said several times that he didn’t like it through V30s.

Any cab/Speaker combo that sounds good with a Marshall, will sound good with an SLO. V30s, not IMO...too much 'mids on mids' crime there. But as stated ^^ Greenies, 65s, 80s, 75s all work.
The Marshall Vintage, older 8 ohm 80s version also will work but they are rarer than Pulsonic Greenbacks.

SLOs were designed to be played through Greenbacks, as Vintage 30s had not yet become readily available by then. Mike said several times that he didn’t like it through V30s.
Shit I need new speakers now 🥲

Mike must’ve changed his mind about Vintage 30s. The new Soldano cabs are loaded with Vintage 30s

I have a variety of guitars with low to hi output pups, pedals and 3 cabs I've used the SLO. Everything sounds good.

He’s said the new Mk2 SLO was designed for V30s. I think previous to that with the old version of the amp he preferred Eminence Legends.
That was B.A.D. talking through Mike. The MK2 is voiced the same, the changes were to accommodate today’s inferior tubes.

I’m surprised the Soldano cabs are still smaller, the day is coming when they become rebadged Friedmans to speed the process up.

Mike must’ve changed his mind about Vintage 30s. The new Soldano cabs are loaded with Vintage 30s
My first SLO was a 2002 version. I had Marshall checker with 65s, Marshall VM with G12C Hendrix GBs, and a Fender Tonemaster from the early 90s with original V30s that came with the cab. They were a cheap way to score the non Chinese V30s. The amp sounded great through all except the Fender. Grating mids.

I think you are good to go. In fact I think you should share your signal chain for the rest of us lol.
That original one was LP -> Klon -> SLO -> ‘76 Marshall G12M Blackback cab.

This is the exact same with the same settings, only plugging straight in with no boost:

I’d prob turn the bass down a hair running it like this, but in general it sounds more rock straight in and more metal with a boost.

The original (pre-Eminence) Soldano cabs were only offered with V30s. Kind of a strange choice if Mike actually dislikes them. I understand not designing the amp in 1986 around them, but still.

I think 16 ohm V30s and 8 ohm M25s sound best with Soldanos. They benefit from an extended high end that 8 ohm V30s don't offer.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240928_135217_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20240928_135217_Drive.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 18
I owned a couple SLO 100 and the cabs that worked best for me was a vht deliverance cab with P50 speakers and my trusty uberkab.

So you're saying, because I have a greenback loaded cab, I now have to buy an SLO? I like your logic, but you're going to financially ruin me 😆

That was B.A.D. talking through Mike

I'm not trying to say anything, but I found it kinda funny how aside from the tolex and grille, the BAD cabs really do outwardly look the same

I'm looking at the Synergy cabs, the Friedman 4x12 and the Soldano 4x12, and the Synergy is starting to look like a really good deal.

I think many of the earliest Soldano cabs had V30s, but then again people mostly seemed to use them with their Marshall cabs. But I like the Soldanos best with Greenbacks or G12T75s myself.

Back