Solid state

• Thread starter Thread starter Cadiz
  • Start date Start date
C
Cadiz
Can anyone recommend a 1x12 maybe a 2x10 SS 30-50 watt amp with good EQ. I don’t want a modeling amp. I have tube amps a hybrid and a couple of crates. I know there’s good solid state amps like Roland blues cube or DV Mark 112 jazz. What about an old 70s Yamaha 112 30 they any good or something good. Cheers

Had one and the 1x10 envoy I’m not a big fan o peavey. Had a classic and a duce

I really like the transtube series from peavey. James brown had his hands in the design of them - the 2x12 model is great if you can find one.

It was pre modeling, but I really like the veta II HD from line 6. It sounded great even by todays standards and was easy to use.

Fender M-80 is another favourite.

Can anyone recommend a 1x12 maybe a 2x10 SS 30-50 watt amp with good EQ. I don’t want a modeling amp. I have tube amps a hybrid and a couple of crates. I know there’s good solid state amps like Roland blues cube or DV Mark 112 jazz. What about an old 70s Yamaha 112 30 they any good or something good. Cheers
Amp1 + whatever 1x12 you like.
Exactly

I really like the transtube series from peavey. James brown had his hands in the design of them - the 2x12 model is great if you can find one.

It was pre modeling, but I really like the veta II HD from line 6. It sounded great even by todays standards and was easy to use.

Fender M-80 is another favourite.
M-80 is cool. I had one when I was younger, it was all I could afford back then.

A couple years ago I found one online for $130 or so shipped. I had to buy it out of pure nostalgia. Honestly, it doesn't sound that horrible at all. I was surprised how decent I can get it to sound. It sits under my workbench now. I need to pull it out and play it soon.

Last edited:
M-80 is cool. I had one when I was younger, it was all I could afford back then.

A couple years ago I found one online for $130 or shipped. I had to buy it out of pure nostalgia. Honestly, it doesn't sound that horrible at all. I was surprised how decent I can get it to sound. It sits under my workbench now. I need to pull it out and play it soon.
I actually just bought a Fender Rad for the nostalgia. I played at school with a lot with a 93SG . The memories lol

How about the the old series 2 Yamahas any good? If I can find an M80 without the hair I would consider it.

I remember plugging into a trans tube back round 96? Little combo. And was kinda floored coming from owning a peavy bandit. I have a line 6 spider jam for noodling. Yes I know it is a modeling amp Tons of effects. But I dial in a good gain tone. Don’t play the effects. It’s the best solid state I’ve played.

I had several Peaveys over the years and always end up selling or trading them. I still have a micro bass amp when I get in the mood to play bass. I don’t have anything against PV. It’s hard to retrain my ears from tube amps for so long. I definitely want to find a good SS amp without the gimmicks you know modeling amps etc.

I bought a Yamaha thr20II wireless back in Oct and still love it!

Cool amps. There’s a really great guitar show May 22nd at the Summit Co. fairgrounds Tallmadge Oh. I’m hoping to find something then. Hopefully I will leave with a good one. Greg Koch was there and reps from Reverend guitars 2 years ago.

Last edited:
The old peaveys are pretty good. I converted a studio pro to a head for kicks and it's actually pretty good.

Randall rg80-112sc I believe it's called?? It's the one from the 80's. It has the same curcuit as the rg100es and rg80es. Killer amps with a boost in front... it really needs that boost though, as it tightens it up and gives it enough gain to sustain a lot for leads and have that chug sound with palm mutes. They have a great clean too, the dude from U2 used to use one.

One thing i've found with these amps is they tend to be really bright, so to counteract that I would drop the treble down to 4'ish and use the presence more as a treble control, it even sounds good with the presence cranked when at band volumes.

Back