String Swing installation advice

• Thread starter Thread starter scriptphase
  • Start date Start date
scriptphase
scriptphase
Got a problem. Looking for solutions. I'll reach out to String Swing today, but figured I'd ask here first in case anyone has run into a similar situation.

Wanting to install the String Swing 5 guitar hanging system with the mounting rail that measures 48", but the studs in my house are 24" apart.

I really want to mount this on 3 studs as mounting it on 2 would create a 12" overhang on both sides, if centered. I'm assuming the studs are about 1.5" wide, but trying to mount that 48" rail on 3 studs leaves me very little margin for error.

Is drilling a 2x4 to the studs, then attaching the rail to the 2x4 my best bet, or should I be looking at a different option?

Last edited:
OK, I called SS customer service just after this and they gave me two suggestions. I guess I could nuke this thread, but I'll leave it intact in the chance it might be helpful to anyone.

They recommended just mounting it to 2 studs and having the 12" overhang on each side with the caveat that I don't hang any guitars more than 7" to 8" off the outside studs. That's only 4" to 5" inches of wasted space, so I'm fine with that.

The other option was to use a 2x6 (instead of a 2x4) mounted to the wall. The width of the rail (about 4.5") needs to be mounted flush, so they said a 2x4 wouldn't be sufficient.

Back