Suhr Modern neck profile question

• Thread starter Thread starter supahd
  • Start date Start date
S
supahd
So for yous guys who own a Modern, how much thinner feeling is the .780-830 compared to the .800-850?

I like thin necks ala older Ibanez prestige (3120 3 piece neck), Parker Mojo fly. Is the .780-830 even close or am I not going to get that thin of a neck with a Modern 24? I've played the .800-.850 and while it's not huge it isn't ideal for me.

Thanks,
Dave

I've played both necks myself. For me, the 800-850 fit me best. To answer your question, the 780-830 definitely felt thinner....reminisent of an Ibanez Wizard (or maybe Wizard II) neck. It sounds like the normal 780-830 will be perfect for you, if you're an Ibanez "thin-neck" type of guy. Most people seem to like that neck who have played Ibanezs in the past. IMO, the elliptical shape seems to have more pronouced shoulders...which is a good thing. Here's a link to a website that describes different neck shapes: http://www.rocketmusiconline.com/necks.html

This is how they describe the Modern Elliptical shape:

"Modern Elliptical - A new shape for the 24-fret Modern, this shape can be viewed as a half of an ellipse. It is a fast and sleek shape yet has enough girth for you to really grab onto when you want to dig in for wild string bends or playing chords. The Modern Elliptical shape is available in two thicknesses: .780" to .830" and .820" to .870"." (and now .800 to .850 of course)

I honestly think you'd be quite happy with the regular .780 to .830 shape.

Also consider how flat of a fingerboard radius you'd like. If you've been an Ibanez guy in the past, a 16" radius should about right. I really dig a 14" radius myself.

Tone Zone,

Thank you for all the info, that helps quite a bit!

Dave

Back