Swamp boats

billsbigego

Hi all, been going down the Louisiana swamp rabbit hole this week and I'm fascinated. I'd move tomorrow if I could. But I'm wondering what kind of boats these are and how these motors work in the swamp. I've been trying to figure this out. Shallow boat? John boat with a mud motor?

1716491620080.png

I have zero expertise but yeah you can take them all over shallow waters. The propellers are really shallow as you can see. They are cool indeed. Great for exploring (maybe not with those big ass motors pictured)

I'll move this to Hobbies and remove the duplicate that's sitting at OTC's root level...

Oh, and merge any posts in that one.

Yeah, they're shallow-and-wide IIRC.

Gotta be shallow 'cause, well, swamp and allowing the shallow propellor to not be blocked by the boat's body, and therefore need to be at least decently-wide as well for stability.

I'll move this thread to Hobbies 'cause it was sitting at OTC's root level:

Please Create Threads Only from Within Sub-forums

EDIT
This post was moved from that thread, which is now goneski.

@billsbigego not sure if you've caught this guy's channel but it's pretty sweet stuff:

Dat Lousiana Life

Yep, that dude is cool as shit. That's what I've been watching. The boats they use are used in the deep swamp, so I don't think and air boat would really work. These guys are going in reverse a lot and doing some tight maneuvering. The fucking bugs though :eek:

Yep, that dude is cool as shit. That's what I've been watching. The boats they use are used in the deep swamp, so I don't think and air boat would really work. These guys are going in reverse a lot and doing some tight maneuvering. The fucking bugs though :eek:
Shop those pearl river and atchafalaya river camp properties. Pretty sure he's on the atchafalaya. The Louisiana bayou. I dig the houseboat but the mosquitoes down there gotta be awful. I wouldn't want to have a houseboat near anyone else.

Shop those pearl river and atchafalaya river camp properties. Pretty sure he's on the atchafalaya. The Louisiana bayou. I dig the houseboat but the mosquitoes down there gotta be awful. I wouldn't want to have a houseboat near anyone else.
Yeah I originally thought they lived on the houseboat. I was like WTF?
I can't fathom the level of bugs down there. I'll bet they buy cases of Raid. But watching the videos, even of the father in law, guy is 82 and looks 60. That's what hard work and eating real food gets you.

I'd love to be down there, but what would I eat? Swamp rats? Nope. Crawdads? Nope. Fish of any sort? Nope. Clams? Nope.

I'd love to be down there, but what would I eat? Swamp rats? Nope. Crawdads? Nope. Fish of any sort? Nope. Clams? Nope.
I don't care for clams but I like crawdads. Also you can get real deal cracklins down there which means portable bacon carried in a greasy brown paper bag which rivals TX brisket on the delicious greasy meat-o-meter. Another cool stop down that way is Grand Isle on the Gulf. It's nice down there but I've already lived in hurricane prone areas enough.

Back