Tell me about Cornford Mk50H

hunter

Hmm, I am wondering how useable the MK50H would be for a cover band, where I need to be able to go from fairly clean to fairly driven (like for example: Creep, where there is clean picking, then chugga chugga) - could I pull this off with just the head and a bit of guitar volume work?

How is the loop?

Any differences between white panel and black panel version?

What would be a fair price for a used one?

And why is their website down? http://www.cornfordamps.com

Very, very good amps. Constuction is top notch. Tone is awsome. I can't remember for sure, but I thought they have a foot switchable boost (gain boost) and seperate volumes. Clean up good. Don't sound like a 6l6 amp either. I know a couple people run EL34's in them and they sound even better. I've heard the newwer ones sound a little better than the older ones (can't confirm though). They do have an MK50II that has a seperate clean channel. They also sound a lot like Mark Cameron mods IMO. Hope this helps..

really great amps, right at the top of the best of the best! :rock:

JB is spot on with his post. i agree that i like them better with EL-34's, but some guys don't.

the more expensive 2 channel has a switch that lets you run either EL-34 or 5881. the cheaper single channel can be modded pretty easily for EL-34's, or can run it with KT-66's and get fairly close to the EL-34 sound.

loop is better than most.

used on the single channel that i know of have ranged from $1900 to 2200USD, with i'd say 1900 hundred being a little low.

I have the Mk 50 II and it can pretty much cover all ground. It's basically like a 3 channel head though they call it a 2 channel....Clean(Fenderish), Dirty(Good plexi), and Boosted dirty(Soldano..without the mid honk). They arent a real compressed sounding amp...its very open even at high gain settings...which makes it pretty unforgiving....but totallhy dynamic.

Even at full saturation rolling the guitar volume back will give you a very desirable clean....similar to that of a Marshall plexi.

It has dual master volumes, separate channel volumes for easier level matching, and assignable dual effects loops..so if you chose to run effects only on your clean channel, you can assign it so when you switch to the clean, loop 1 is engaged and when you switch to dirty the signal is unaltered as it changes over to loop 2...or you can run another proecessor in loop two which will engage when dirty is selected. The loops are the best Ive heard a far as not mucking the tone of the amp up completley.

The older style Mk 50(black one) single channel is a little rattier sounding in my opinion, the Mk II is a little more refined....smoother. Neither amp is very common in the states so finding the MK's used is pretty rare and you'll probably pay close to retail depending on condition of the amp.

The website has been down for about a week. Dont know why...the forum is down as well. My guess is they'll launch the new site after NAMM.

If you want to buy new, contact Wally at Solidbodyguitar.com. He's in Minnesota and is the main US Cornford Rep.

L8r

Thanks a lot for the info, this is great/useful stuff.

I am in Europe and the MK50H (one channel version) I've seen for 900-1000 GBP which is about 1000 -1100 Euros, guess that's pretty good value then.

The 2 Channel version is a bit more but especially they don't appear much used, I think you can't really save on those.

Rattier you say? Maybe I like ratty :O)

People said it all and I +1 everything.

Had it for 8 months (it's a VERY long time for my standards :LOL: :LOL: ) and selling it didn't even cross my mind. There's very few amps out there that I wanna try right now and I wouldn't replace MK with those amps. This amp just cured my GAS and curiosity.

Back