the band PORTAL from OZ

• Thread starter Thread starter Jofipe
  • Start date Start date
Jofipe
Jofipe
Saw them live this summer.. played just before them at a festival. I was spellbound.. one of the most intense shows i'v ever seen.

Excellent new video

2.jpg

I've never been able to understand how this band is taken seriously...

Spaceboy":39fjs0c0 said:

Cause it's more serious than 99% of the underground stuff coming out these days. It's different and they pull this thing of very well... I don't know any newer band having such a well thought out aura around them. It's chaotic, like the multiverse itself.
Personally it makes me dive into thoughts about chemistry behind energy and how everything is created to in the end become nothing

LowDesertSludge":3rhkve2a said:
I smoked salvia once too man.

Haha, not too smart ;)

Yeah, I guess I should have taken this to the metal forums and not here. It's not easy to understand for sure..

Jesus H. Tapdancing image copycat.

Seems like Portal has been around longer than Ghost.

22.jpg

Ghost_1355757657_crop_550x313.jpg

I am a big fan of extreme metal and other music even less understood. I can't watch the video from a phone, but unless this band has completely changed their sound and gimmick since the days where he wore a clock on his head, the I doubt I'm missing anything.

Call me cynical, but that is genuinely one of the most cacophonous, unmusical things I've ever heard.

It actually sounds like a parody of what people who aren't into metal, think metal sounds like.

AWESOME video. Creepy as f**k as I am sure they intended it to be. That being said, this band is a little too extreme for my tastes :lol: :LOL: :rawk: I would like to hear something where they actually do something resembling a groove. I think it would make the cacophonous parts that much more evil. Either way; great vibe.

At least this band is as creepy sounding as their looks. Ghost was a let down for me, I mean coming out looking religiously creepier than shit, and then starting in on some 80's new wave sounding number. :thumbsdown: Same for me with KISS. Saw them on a poster looking scary as ever, remember from my youth, hearing a great classic rock song, Rock and Roll all Night, found out it was those scary guys from the poster, never looked at them the same since. Their image gave me a false hope of their sound. And 8 farewell tours :doh: :thumbsdown: :confused:

LowDesertSludge":3v8u1a7r said:
At least this band is as creepy sounding as their looks. Ghost was a let down for me, I mean coming out looking religiously creepier than shit, and then starting in on some 80's new wave sounding number. :thumbsdown:
All of that^ King Diamond singing for Iron Butterfly is not demonic lol

Wait till you check Portal out live... Pure trance.

And BTW, that Portal/Ghost analogy... not the same thing, not even the same universe. Two different things all together.

Spaceboy":13d4fxpp said:

I'm not really that into them (I like some of their earlier stuff, once they got into 8-strings it just because redundant), but they are much more interesting 99% of other metal bands. Probably the first band since Morbid Angel's debut to get the whole 'Lovecraft sound' correct.

p4vl":y4ogf884 said:
Spaceboy":y4ogf884 said:

I'm not really that into them (I like some of their earlier stuff, once they got into 8-strings it just because redundant), but they are much more interesting 99% of other metal bands. Probably the first band since Morbid Angel's debut to get the whole 'Lovecraft sound' correct.

Correct!

p4vl":13434ing said:
I like some of their earlier stuff, once they got into 8-strings it just because redundant

Your grammar has went

I completely LOVE Portal.

A great gimmick and music. While not accessible to the masses, the music is memorable.

Derek

Jofipe":1xghbks6 said:

And BTW, that Portal/Ghost analogy... not the same thing, not even the same universe. Two different things all together.

Silly catholic priest looks? :lol:
I guess you read "image" very well? :)

No, they're not similar musically in any way, but the image of an evil priest is similar to me :) One of Them were more creative than the other.

ke2":3qbq9dfs said:
Jofipe":3qbq9dfs said:

Silly catholic priest looks? :lol:
I guess you read "image" very well? :)

No, they're not similar musically in any way, but the image of an evil priest is similar to me :) One of Them were more creative than the other.

I hardly doubt any of these bands were influenced by each other. Ghost CLEARLY takes influence in some of the older italian post punk/metal bands like DEATH SS and PAUL CHAIN, even MORTUARY DRAPE... all stuff I actually more than like.

NONE of this comes to mind with Portal... HP Lovecraft is a the biggest influence here both visually and sonically... i'd say they are probably influenced by certain electronic music and noise core like Brighter Death Now (maybe)

If you are not into metal underground or extreme music in genres and sub genres, you probably won't know any difference anyway. Just like I don't know the difference between all these new wave of modern american metal bands.. they all sound the same, looks the same and act the same to me, cause I do not care for it.

Portal BTW looks different live nowadays.

Rezamatix":10fa7gln said:
Never heard of them but this video was excellent. If your gonna be a doom metal band or whatever, scare me properly.

Yeah it's not simple to understand :) i'd call this experimental metal..

Back