The cure for GAS.. Well, kind of.

• Thread starter Thread starter War_in_D
  • Start date Start date
War_in_D
War_in_D
I think I had mentioned a while back that I would be shooting in my first bow tournament in about 10 years or so. Well, we went to it last weekend and I had a blast. Didn't shoot worth a darn, but it was fun to just get back out there again.

I haven't even thought about buying anything guitar related since I decided to enter the tournament... but, boy have I been bitten by the archery bug again! Since I've been back into this, I've pretty much set up an entire bow shop in my basement. From what I've heard, the archery scene around my town has pretty much dried up and I don't even think we have an archery shop within 30 miles (closest is in Branson, Mo area). So, I decided to just bite the bullet and get the stuff I need to work on my bows myself. I had to buy a bow press and a cheap chronograph from Amazon because I couldn't build those, but everything else I could fabricate easy enough (paper tuning rig, draw board, Dremel powered arrow saw, etc.).

My buddy has got some pre-planned medical stuff that he needs to get taken care of that's going to sideline him for about 5-6 weeks, but we're already looking for the next place to shoot!

Nice.

I found that once I dismantled my last band and made up my mind not to gig anymore I started selling shit off. PA rig, extra bass rigs, etc. Of course I found a new hobby and began dumping money into that. I'm a range rat and training junkie.

I went through that whole "gear sell off" thing at one point too, and I'm not making that mistake again. LOL

I was fortunate to have kept my bows and other equipment from back in the day. I hadn't even looked at bows for years, and seeing what the new stuff is costing right now... Archery wouldn't be a cheap sport to try to break into, that's for sure.

I went through that whole "gear sell off" thing at one point too, and I'm not making that mistake again. LOL

I was fortunate to have kept my bows and other equipment from back in the day. I hadn't even looked at bows for years, and seeing what the new stuff is costing right now... Archery wouldn't be a cheap sport to try to break into, that's for sure.
My buddy buys the latest Matthews every 2 years. I still have the PSC I bought 15 years ago. Works fine.

My buddy buys the latest Matthews every 2 years. I still have the PSC I bought 15 years ago. Works fine.

Yeah, I think there is only so much that bow/arrow technology can advance given the platform. There is some cool stuff out there from Bowtech regarding tuning ease with their new bows though. Everything is done right on the cam with allen wrenches, and you don't need to a press to adjust timing, cam lean, etc.. That's kind of cool, but not $1500 cool to me. LOL

None of my bows are newer then 2010-ish (two Bowtech CP/FLX bows and a Strother Inspire). By that time, most bows from any manufacturer were shooting dead in the hand, were whisper quiet and the speeds they were getting were plenty fast enough for hunting or the competitions I was shooting in. I get the whole speed race for hunting, but when shooting in ASA sanctioned 3d tournaments they limited you to 290 FPS and made you shoot through a chronograph prior to stepping on the course, so all that extra speed didn't matter.

I'm not a brand snob, and I've shot a bunch of different bows. I gravitated toward those older Bowtech CP bows back in the day, but it's purely a grip thing. They just fit my hand the way I like, it was like it was molded to fit. Same with the Strother, but it would stand to reason as Kevin Strother was in on the design of Bowtech around that time. But, in my honest opinion, after shooting everything from PSE's to Mathews, to "insert bow brand here" the 2008 Bowtech General was probably the best bow ever made.

Back