The Definitive Unbiased Comparison: Maxon OD808 vs. BOSS SD1

• Thread starter Thread starter JakeAC5253
  • Start date Start date
JakeAC5253
JakeAC5253
ToneComparison.png

The SD-1 is far better with Rectifiers than the Maxon. The SD-1 offers a bit more upper midrange in the areas the Rectifier lacks.

Once you get a real tube head, you'll know what I'm talking about.

lolzgreg":ng761xtg said:
The SD-1 is far better with Rectifiers than the Maxon. The SD-1 offers a bit more upper midrange in the areas the Rectifier lacks.

+1

SD-1! Because you can do cool mods and it makes you feel like you know stuff! :rock:

lolzgreg":1655ejyn said:

You use the Keeley modded SD-1 though right? I am talking about the stock version, it sucks balls. There is no audible volume boost when kicked on, all it really does is chop off the bass and crunch it up a little. There is no dynamic compression like the OD, and that's what gives it that 'alive' feel that the SD-1 lacks. I am considering doing the Keeley mod myself so then maybe I might get some use out of it. As of now I find it quite useless, although I use it as a mixing tool sometimes.

Well... having had both for YEARS, I can tell you that it really depends on the amp.

I like both pedals for different amps, but I would take the maxon if I could choose only one.

BTW, the Boss OS-2 is way better than the SD1 or the DS1.

Totally depends on the amp being boosted. Just like all OD pedals.

Also, I can't ever have an OD pedals gain dial on zero and level on 10 when boosting. It makes your whole tone is just flat, one dimensional and choked sounding. The gain always has to be between 1-3 and the level between 6-9.
My opinion of course.

lolzgreg":3j8jcf0a said:

+13,600,000,000,000

rlord1974":vhtftf4c said:
lolzgreg":vhtftf4c said:

+13,600,000,000,000

So, um, what you're essentilly saying is you feel kinda strongly that this is a true statement :student:

:lol: :LOL:
V.

PS - I'd take the 808 any day over the SD-1, but I don't have the 808 as I prefer my BB, OCD, Big Muff, etc. over the other stomps out there. However, I find I'm using OD's less and less primarily due to the fact that I am into some amps now - finally, after years of searching - that give me the real, sonic, amazing tone I've always wanted...naturally overdriven :D

Back