The Offficial Fuzz Box Thread.

• Thread starter Thread starter Telephant
  • Start date Start date
Telephant
Telephant
Lists your fuzzes and the style of music and/or tones you try and achieve.

Analogman Sunface NKT275
Frantone Peach Fuzz
Z Vex Fuzz Factory
Roger Mayer Axis Fuzz

I like all different flavors of fuzz. With the Sunface I typically go for an EJ and Hendrix tone. The Peachfuzz does that Melvins, stoner grunge rhythm sound but also has a magnificent lead tone (lots of mids).

The Zvex is my, Im going to blow up my speaker cab fuzz. All out ridiculousness. The Roger Mayer sits in the closet and does nothing. :lol:

I used to have an Everman Fuzzdrive G2 that sounded really good but did not get me the tonal results I wanted, it was more a mix of fuzz and OD.

I was looking for a fuzz that could get a mere-mortal like me as close as possible to the tone EJ get's on Boogie King. I found that tone in a fuzz build by a guy in Holland. It does a lot more than that kind of fuzz, it cleans up really well and it looks kickass too. Here's me butchering the song in question with a bit TO much delays :oops:

Fuzzwork.jpg

lordriffenstein":0c03e said:
carlygtr56":0c03e said:
Too many to list :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I bet you can't even remember them all 8)

I remember what I had....but it would be a huge pain to list stuff.
I do have all th Roger Mayer stuff...the spaceships, just about all the MJM....all the Evermans...Sybil blah blah blah....got quite a few octave/fuzzes as well........and a few Big Muff clones. :)

Best for jimi into a cleaner amp, IMO is the KR Gypsy. I do believe Hendrix used the Axis circuit more than I originaly thought. Got 2 Axis Fuzzes...two RM Classic Fuzzes. Doubles on those :lol:

Carl, you ever notice some inconsitancies with the Mayer Fuzzes? Some Ive heard sound awesome, others sound very harsh and dry. Particularly some of the newer ones... Maybes it me.

Also, this thread might be a good idea for those of us that discover new fuzzes and want to give people a heads up.

I still need to try that KR Gypsy! So much fuzz, so little time. :lol:

Telephant":a3ed7 said:
Carl, you ever notice some inconsitancies with the Mayer Fuzzes? Some Ive heard sound awesome, others sound very harsh and dry. Particularly some of the newer ones... Maybes it me.

Also, this thread might be a good idea for those of us that discover new fuzzes and want to give people a heads up.

I still need to try that KR Gypsy! So much fuzz, so little time. :lol:

I thought the earliest Classic Fuzz was weak. I mean early though, way back in the 80's.

The 2 Classics i have hear are the same and have more fuzz than the 80's version I had.
Also, there is an unternal voltage trimmer. It's a ge fuzz, and the trimmer needs to be at optimin for the fuzz to sound best.
around 4.5 to 5 volts

what do you guys think of the big muff?

i have no reason to buy one but still i GAS for it so badly...

The Armadillo of leprosy":ebb1a said:

It's a cool fuzz, but i don't have the EH version. I got a few more expensive, but better made and sounding.

MJM Foxy Fuzz
D*A*M Ramhead
Everman- Ultra-drive
Euthymia- ICBM

All great....all different :wink:

I have a red dunlop fuzz face (reissue) that I tweaked a little and socketed the transistors. Then I bought a matched set of NKT275s from small bear electronics, put em in and then played with the trimpots. Sounds 200% better than stock, but I'm still not sure I'm a 'fuzz' guy.

Pete

The Armadillo of leprosy":8ec10 said:

I used to have the Big Muff, it sounded a little dark for my taste. That's just me. Try it first before you buy.

Subdecay Stupid Box. Bought it on a whim and it's turned out to be just awesome.

fuzz factory - my favorite pedal besides my delay
green russian big muff - sound either really shitty or really good depending on how much power the battery has. I use to have the american reissue witch was more consistent sounding, but the russina on could sound a lot better sometimes
frantone peach fuzz - kinda but it on a whim, a great sounding little pedal, It sounded huge with a voodoo withdoctor I borrowed while my amp was being worked on.

Fuzz Factory and Fulltone Soulbender

I play mostly stoner, post-rock, shoegazer-type stuff. As much for soloing as chord work/riffs.

The soulbender is in limbo. I'm thinking of changing but I'm not sure with what. Just something with more gain and tight like a tiger.

I really dig the Demeter Fuzzulator. Very smooth and refined fuzz. Also my PE Experience.

I dont suppose anyone knows what mod Jack White has on his big muff? I love his fuzz sound.

Back