The Tyler Burning Water arrived yesterday!!!

• Thread starter Thread starter lordriffenstein
  • Start date Start date
lordriffenstein
lordriffenstein
I bought it from a good friend of mine. He bought this guitar 2nd hand (I´m owner #4) and he was complaining that it sounded weird/bad. He checked with James Tyler and the owner before him did some rewiring to it so they expected it to be done badly. I played the guitar a couple of weeks ago and it indeed sounded weird, very muddy with gain and even the clean tones suffered.

It´s a Studio Elite BW2000, Suhr V60LPs, SD bucker, midboost (no bypass) and I was suspecting the midboost to be the culprit of it, probably wired up wrong. So when my friend decided to sell it and not have it checked, I jumped on it as he was giving me a killer deal. The guitar looks like new and has only seen a limit amount of playing. It sounded really good acoustically and had a great vibe so I was prepared to do some changes to the wiring or replace the electronics.

So I received the Tyler yesterday and played it a bit, made some weird discoveries eg: when on the neck pickup, the push/pull to split the humbucker actually ADDED the split bucker when pulled :? Same thing when on the middle pickup. Very weird stuff and that was not even talking about the muddyness on the single coils when used with OD.

I had a good look at a number of schematics and was already thinking I would probably have to take out the midboost or install a bypass for it. So this morning I opened it and the wiring was a serious mess, sorry to say to whoever did this but that is one hell of a hack job. Anyway, looking at some SD schematics quickly revealed that the humbucker split with the push/pull was done completely wrong. It took me about 10mins to rewire it to the SD schematic and I quickly tested it tapping the pickups. It all seemed to be fine, split worked, boost worked, tone and volume both worked. I then did a quick cleaning of the neck and guitar, restrung it with Pyramid 10-46s and plugged in. I just learned from the original owner that the push/pull was not there and was installed by the 2nd owner (obvious hack job).

As it was early in the morning, I only could test it at low volume and comparing it with my other strats (Haar & ESP) I was pretty sure that all was ok and that the guitar lost the muddyness and in fact sounded as it is supposed to. A bit later, I was able to plug it into the Carr for some loud testing and much to my relief, problem solved and one kickass sounding guitar. The V60LPs sound pretty good in this guitar, the boost circuit adds something by itself to the sound and it seems to work well with the V60LPs. The humbucker (I think a JB Trembucker) sounds also very good, nice crunch but also thick. The midboost now functions as it is supposed to and really makes it a versatile guitar.

Tomorrow I have some more time to put it thru to the test, can´t wait for that.

Here´s some pics:

Front-full.jpg

Front-close.jpg

Back-full.jpg

Back-close.jpg

Man, I think I'd give my left nut for a Burning Water.

You don't want a left nut, do you? :help:

>|<>QBB<
ratter":62672 said:
Man, I think I'd give my left nut for a Burning Water.

You don't want a left nut, do you? :help:

Lemme think because I need to replace mine :lol:

>|<>QBB<
Stratboy151":11e5b said:
thats hot. ive never played a tyler yet

Don´t because you´d be spoiled forever. I played my first about 3 years ago and swore that day I´d own one. Never thought it would happen this fast as they are hardly never available 2nd hand in Europe and a new one is +3000euros.

So yeah, I´m VERY lucky and happy about this.

Great finish, neat guitar, but a pretty ugly headstock. I'd still buy it.

Back