thick sounding pickups for maple body guitars?

• Thread starter Thread starter veji
  • Start date Start date
veji
veji
I like george lynch/evh/80's shred. I am looking for really thick/meaty pickups with tons of low end and low mids for my thin/trebly maple guitar. Currently i have an Afwayu MCP in the bridge and a dimarzio air norton S in the neck. Any suggestions?

I figured an afwayu would be a good choice :confused:

Im having the same issue with my ash Silhouette. I have a tone zone in it now and while its ok its not quite what my ears want to hear

what dont you like about the afwayu?

oh i like the afwayu. I just want more lows and low mids/thickness. but keep the same highs.
How's the tone zone? does it give you enough low end and thickness?

veji":26dim5un said:
oh i like the afwayu. I just want more lows and low mids/thickness. but keep the same highs.
How's the tone zone? does it give you enough low end and thickness?

its the first pickup i would recommend for a bright guitar. i love a tonezone which is what i have used for a long time for its high output. its a very controlled mellowness - very dark type of pickup as well - i would not recommend it in anything other than alder/basswood/maple

FWIW ive got an ibanez tonezone pickup out of my prestige in the classifieds with the matching ibanez air norton pickup - the guitar was mahogany which does not fit those pickups.

May have been the guitar, but I swapped out my Super Distortion because of too much mud and recessed highs.

Motor City Pups should have a Cantrell sig pup available soon. Jerry's guitar body is maple. Might be what you're looking for?

how about the air norton S for the neck? is there anything thicker/better?

Bareknuckle Warpig. Super thick, warm, plenty of bass but remains articulate and tight. Amazing pickup.

The Screamin Demon was voiced around around maple bodied guitars. It's not super high output but its "big" sounding through a high gain amp.

WCR Ironman with A5 for the bridge :rock:

My Ibanez RGA121 was really bright with anything else, this pickup is tits in a bright guitar. It is the reason that I have had my Ibanez for over 5 years, for me that is the longest I have owned any guitar!!!!!

Actually, a Duncan Custom Custom would kick ass in maple for hair metal. :thumbsup:

If I was looking for big I would not be looking at maple myself, maple is very cool and has that upper mid cry to it for leads but big is not maple imo.

SD Distorsion.

glassjaw7":1xj9kaqo said:
Motor City Pups should have a Cantrell sig pup available soon. Jerry's guitar body is maple. Might be what you're looking for?

I've actually got one of these that I'm about to put in an alder Jackson so I can report back what I hear but it might not mean much since the OP's guitar is maple :dunno:

Motorpud":27j09ci8 said:
glassjaw7":27j09ci8 said:

I've actually got one of these that I'm about to put in an alder Jackson so I can report back what I hear but it might not mean much since the OP's guitar is maple :dunno:
Let us know how it turns out!

Back