Thrash Metal

• Thread starter Thread starter Zach
  • Start date Start date
Zach
Zach
My next band is going to be a thrash band. I was wondering for all you theory guys, what I should dig into as far as lead or rhythm playing. I like a lot of sweeping, cause it's fun, and the chicks love it :mrgreen:

Zach

Thrash mainly comes from Minor modes such as Phrygian, Aeolian and Locrian (the b5 from Locrian is very important in thrash!)

Most of it is chromatic riff ideas (i'm talking about Metallica and such here) which is probably why most of the solo's are blues pentatonics.

Phrygian Dominant is also a good scale to use in Thrash. Used quite alot in Metallica/Slayer etc.

Rhythmic playing i'd say look at Slayer and Metallica purely for the speed of Slayer and downstrokes of Metallica

Lead i'd say Testament. Alex Skolnik is the best Thrash soloist IMO.

I'm not a big theory guy, but I have played in 2 different thrash bands. I'd recommend checking out Forbidden's "Forbidden Evil" as that record has some great soloing. As stated above, Testament as well has great lead playing on the Skolnick records

For rhythm stuff... Sepultura's Beneath The Remains and the first two Testament albums are pretty much the Bible of Thrash. Learn every track on both of those records and you'll be set for anything thrash-wise. Sure, downpicking at 200 is cool... Galloping at 240-260 is where the real fun begins, especially when you take into consideration that they would play the songs even faster live.

Back