To Plek or not to Plek.....That is the question G&L comparisons

• Thread starter Thread starter Beergoblin
  • Start date Start date
Beergoblin
Beergoblin
I'm looking at snagging a Legacy and I'm confronted with a choice. 2 of the 3 guitars are a year or two older and don't have the PLEK job done (to the best of my knowledge) while the newer sunburst does.

I'm still waiting on price quotes, but I'm assuming the older guits will be a bit cheaper than the newer one with the PLEK, possibly by a few hundred.

So, I'm a little torn. Should I save the possible couple hundred on a non-PLEK'd or go with the Sunburst for a bit more just for the PLEK job? Do you really think it will be that much better playing? Anyone have any real experience with a PLEK'd guitar? Is it definately worth it or will a good old fashioned fret job still be good enough considering it was done well?

Besides the older models being a bit cheaper, I also like the vintage white finish better. But, ultimately I just want the best guitar.

PLEK'd
Photo2_57b79.jpg

Not PLEK'd
photo1_a3c79.jpg

Not Plek'd
photo1_b4d20.jpg

The plek job really is worthit!

My R7 Les Paul was plek'd and it plays so fast its unbelievable!!

Its only been around for around a year or so (to my knowledge), but its basically a computer that gives you a precision fretjob/setup. I haven't heard anything bad about it at all, but if the white models are a couple hundred less than the sunburst I'm looking at, I'm not sure if I'm sold that its definately worth it or not.

A Plek job is definately worth it. I had it done last year to a '70 ES-335 that was pretty good to start with. It was worth every penny.

For Plek info: www.plek.com

A good luthier will take the time and do it just as nicely as the PLEK machine. The key word being "good."

badger71":9a251 said:
A good luthier will take the time and do it just as nicely as the PLEK machine. The key word being "good."
I have a good luthier and he does great work ... and has an ego. When I told him I was sending the guitar to be Pleked he laughed and told me I was wasting my money. He didn't laugh when I brought it to him to check out afterwards.

Aside from the fact that a Plek machine can dress the frets about as perfectly as they can get and repeat the dressing tolereances any time you have it redone or refretted, I think the important part of the Plek process is that it does the job with the neck under tension. A luthier, no matter how great, can't do that.

Beergoblin":1aaef said:
I'm looking at snagging a Legacy and I'm confronted with a choice. 2 of the 3 guitars are a year or two older and don't have the PLEK job done (to the best of my knowledge) while the newer sunburst does.

I'm still waiting on price quotes, but I'm assuming the older guits will be a bit cheaper than the newer one with the PLEK, possibly by a few hundred.

So, I'm a little torn. Should I save the possible couple hundred on a non-PLEK'd or go with the Sunburst for a bit more just for the PLEK job? Do you really think it will be that much better playing? Anyone have any real experience with a PLEK'd guitar? Is it definately worth it or will a good old fashioned fret job still be good enough considering it was done well?

Besides the older models being a bit cheaper, I also like the vintage white finish better. But, ultimately I just want the best guitar.

PLEK'd
Photo2_57b79.jpg

Not PLEK'd
photo1_a3c79.jpg

Not Plek'd
photo1_b4d20.jpg

BTW - Wolfe guitars is a great place to buy from! I have a Heritage that I bought from them!

So are all 2006 G&Ls PLEKed? Just wondering since I have a brand new Legacy showing up on Monday.

Back