Tom Bukovac on playing fast

I would agree. Most important two things to playing fast are light tough and relaxation. I have to constantly remind myself of those as every time I focus on an intricate run, my tensing up f's me up.

I would agree. Most important two things to playing fast are light tough and relaxation. I have to constantly remind myself of those as every time I focus on an intricate run, my tensing up f's me up.
Light touch won’t be good with rhythm though

Ditto...been playing over 50 years heavy handed and need to lighten the touch. I tend to tense up my right hand but still manage to rip some fast lead riffs. I hybrid pick alot hence the closed fist approach. I find if I open up my right hand like George Lynch does it lightens up my touch considerably and increases speed. Will never stop being a student.

I haven’t watched that video but he’s talked about it several times in his Homeskoolin series and I don’t think I’ve missed an episode. It’s all in that loose wrist.

What gets me is that some days I just have it and some days I just don’t. Some mornings I’m thinking how the fuck did my hands forget how to play overnight? I had it last night. Then it’s back to the shed to try and get it back. Other days it’s all there soon as I roll outta bed. The bad days are frustrating af.

I haven’t watched that video but he’s talked about it several times in his Homeskoolin series and I don’t think I’ve missed an episode. It’s all in that loose wrist.

What gets me is that some days I just have it and some days I just don’t. Some mornings I’m thinking how the fuck did my hands forget how to play overnight? I had it last night. Then it’s back to the shed to try and get it back. Other days it’s all there soon as I roll outta bed. The bad days are frustrating af.
It's all in the amount of time it takes to warm up. At my current age, it takes me about :30 before I stop feeling like I have two left hands. My son can not touch the guitar for 3 days, plug in and shred immediately.

Tom leaves out the part where you have to play 4-hours-a-day, everyday.

:ROFLMAO:
...for 40+ years. And not just noodling or playing Mustang Sally...but playing stuff that really counts with the red light on, etc. That last part matters, you have to be at your best at all times.

Notice how when he changes strings...the whole 'mechanism' moves up/down. He's not really flexing his wrist to change strings, the whole thing shifts up/down.

Tom leaves out the part where you have to play 4-hours-a-day, everyday.
There are ways (besides unemployment or working as a musician) to make that happen. For one, getting a tiny guitar like an Ibanez mikro and never letting it out of your sight. I bought a cheap Amazon one used for $20 bucks, and it's gotta be one of my best gear investments so far. Probably also my friends' most hated piece of gear I own, but so it goes.

Notice how when he changes strings...the whole 'mechanism' moves up/down. He's not really flexing his wrist to
change strings, the whole thing shifts up/down.
I didn't catch that, I'll have to go back and look again. I was paying attention to how he clears strings while string changing, because with his motion if you have the right string depth the only thing involved with a string change is to "move the whole mechanism" up/down. The rotation of the forearm takes care of clearing the strings, with maybe only a slightly bigger rotation compared to the tremolo picking motion. I'm not sure if he's doing that though. It's the motion I train, so was interested in seeing if he was using it.

Ben Eller has also talked about shifting the whole thing up/down to change strings and not flexing the wrist to change strings.

Back