TonePros vs PRS adjustable stoptail

• Thread starter Thread starter snakeman1986
  • Start date Start date
snakeman1986
snakeman1986
Hey everyone. I'm having intonation issues with my PRS singlecut. First off, I don't understand the whole idea between the PRS stock bridge. Drives me crazy and is the one dowfall of their guitars IMO....but anyway I'm pretty sure the intonation issues I'm having is because of the strings (blue steels... :thumbsdown: hate these things), but I can't adjust the intonation for the D string that I am having problems with now, and I'm just going to ditch the bridge now so I don't run into this problem again. I'm looking at the tonepros or the PRS adjustable stoptail. There is a huge difference in price between the two. Say $100 for tonepros and nearly $300 for the PRS adjustable stoptail. Is there really that much of a difference in quality? Thanks in advance for the info!

There is a difference, I have 2 of the tonepros and wish I would have gotten the PRS instead, the PRS has more mass to it, and can be adjusted more easily as far as height goes, also I run 10-46 and the large E string does not fit the saddle just right on the tonepros, it will jump out of the groove if you yank it hard enough. This can be easily fixed though by cutting the groove slightly. The tonepros bridge must be raised or lowered from underneath the bridge which is a PITA, and requires the right wrench that did not come with mine, while the PRS can be raised or lowered easily with a proper fitting screwdriver
In the end I wish I would have spent the extra coin and got the PRS, it works exactly like it should with no issues at all ;)

Either of you guys try a Tone Pros vs. Gibson bridges vs. Gotoh?

Get the PRS. The tone pros is also a slightly different radius. Most people can't tell because it's a small difference, but to me its a difference of turning a good setup into a great setup. The tone pros also have open holes on the bottom side of the tailpiece and if you're not super careful, you'll scratch up your top.

I'd give this a shot if you really can't swing the PRS, seems better than the tone pros. http://www.schroederguitars.com/buy/gui ... ail-bridge ...But I'd get the saddles adjusted right for the radius.

As a side note, you can get the PRS bridge for around $200...don't quote me exactly on that price but it's much closer to $200 rather than $300. The PRS bridge works really well for standard tuning with 9's and 10's, I've had good intonation with 11's as well. But if you're doing alternate tunings or using really heavy or odd string gauges, it is problematic. Brain Meader at Washington Music Center usually has them in stock and the price is much lower than off PRS website.

Yeah I dunno about a $3k + guitar shipping with a bridge that can't be intonated (except height adj) considering how picky your average guitarist is. :confused:

Vrad":x4bave6w said:
Either of you guys try a Tone Pros vs. Gibson bridges vs. Gotoh?
I havent, I was told the Tonepros would be a drop in with no problems, so I got 2 of them and found out differently :aww:
I figured I would go with the PRS later, I know they will deliver as advertised. I'll check with vchizzle's guy for a price when I get ready

vchizzle":1d6lpaie said:
As a side note, you can get the PRS bridge for around $200...don't quote me exactly on that price but it's much closer to $200 rather than $300. The PRS bridge works really well for standard tuning with 9's and 10's, I've had good intonation with 11's as well. But if you're doing alternate tunings or using really heavy or odd string gauges, it is problematic. Brain Meader at Washington Music Center usually has them in stock and the price is much lower than off PRS website.

I guess by washington music center you mean here: http://www.wmcworld.com/ . I couldn't find a PRS bridge on the website. I guess I'll just call up there. Cheapest I've found this bridge is $240 at guitarasylum.com. Most expensive I've found is $435 (https://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-PRS-Paul-Reed-S ... 588d7352bd)! :shocked: Am I missing something here? Also, I have 10's on mine right now and am tuning down to Eb and drop Db. Like I said, I think it is just the blue steels. I just changed to try them. I usually use d'addarios and have had no trouble. I'll probably just try to save up for the PRS adjustable or go with the tonepros for a while and then upgrade.

anybody familiar with these Schroeder Guitars? they look really nice to me...

I have a Tonepros on my Les Paul and I love it. Way better than the stock Gibson.
I replaced the non-adjustable bridge on my Singlecut with the adjustable PRS.

I have no issues with the PRS bridge and I'm happy with the purchase.
If I had to get another tailpiece for a PRS, I would just get the PRS part. Very hearty bridge.

Mark

snowdog":t6vg8ffb said:
Yeah I dunno about a $3k + guitar shipping with a bridge that can't be intonated (except height adj) considering how picky your average guitarist is. :confused:
That's incorrect. There's a set screw on each of the bridge post. While it may be limited, you can most certainly adjust it.

The reason they have that type of bridge is because Paul feels they yield the best tone of any type of bridge. He researched with vintage guitars with wrap
around stoptails & felt they had the best tone and sustain, so he set out to redesign that type of bridge.

snakeman1986":3t9a3rdl said:
vchizzle":3t9a3rdl said:

I guess by washington music center you mean here: http://www.wmcworld.com/ . I couldn't find a PRS bridge on the website. I guess I'll just call up there. Cheapest I've found this bridge is $240 at guitarasylum.com. Most expensive I've found is $435 (https://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-PRS-Paul-Reed-S ... 588d7352bd)! :shocked: Am I missing something here? Also, I have 10's on mine right now and am tuning down to Eb and drop Db. Like I said, I think it is just the blue steels. I just changed to try them. I usually use d'addarios and have had no trouble. I'll probably just try to save up for the PRS adjustable or go with the tonepros for a while and then upgrade.
Yes, that's the site. Yeah, call and talk to Brian. They are very close to PRS and get parts quickly. They may just not have it listed on the site.
There's some D bag on ebay that's always trying to sell PRS parts for 2x what they cost. You shouldn't have any issues in Eb, drop tunings are a little tricky. You can try adjusting the wound string set screw by splitting the difference between the Db and Ab strings. You should be able to get it really close, that's not a super low tuning.

I'd seriously go the Schroeder route if you're going on the cheap side. The tone pros is just a pain with the open slots on the bottom where you feed the string through.

Back