uh-oh, better watch out Soldano

• Thread starter Thread starter rsm
  • Start date Start date
R
rsm
Glenn's got a ringer for the SLO 100 for only $183.

:D

Dis Gon B Gud GIFs | Tenor

It's an absurd clickbait title but the video is actually a bait and switch. The title suggests it's simply about comparing two vastly different amps, but it's really a video about the importance of cabs and mics in high gain recordings as opposed to just looking at the amp. Considering Glenn's audience is mostly relatively new guitar players interested in metal, the actual message of the video seems like it's a helpful one, which is that $3,000 isn't the ground floor minimum you need to spend on an amp to get decent high gain tone.

Like yeah his Sam Kinison screaming all the time act is obnoxious and awful, but he's not totally full of shit in this video.

Also, that Valveking doesn't sound like an SLO, but if you know what you're doing and have a good cab/mic setup then yes you can get pretty good sounds out of it.

Last edited:
It's an absurd clickbait title but the video is actually a bait and switch. The title suggests it's simply about comparing two vastly different amps, but it's really a video about the importance of cabs and mics in high gain recordings as opposed to just looking at the amp. Considering Glenn's audience is mostly relatively new guitar players interested in metal, the actual message of the video seems like it's a helpful one, which is that $3,000 isn't the ground floor minimum you need to spend on an amp to get decent high gain tone.

Like yeah his Sam Kinison screaming all the time act is obnoxious and awful, but he's not totally full of shit in this video.

Also, that Valveking doesn't sound like an SLO, but if you know what you're doing and have a good cab/mic setup then yes you can get pretty good sounds out of it.

He does often make good points, but he’s just insufferable until he gets there

Just so no one else has to watch the video, he never plays his clips of the valveking supposedly sounding like the soldano until the very end, just a frequency response chart - which tells you everything you need to know about how bullshit this is lol.

30 seconds of buried in the mix lead wanking is all you get.

Sorry, this dude's an idiot.
/thread.

It's amazing how people get away with using "science" and "Facts" and pretending to be "objective" by selectively choosing what data to present to an audience like this - just so everyone knows, if you dial them in to sound shitty as hell, through the same speaker you can basically get ANY two amps to match up on a frequency response chart.

The engineer who I worked under for a long time did something similar, with a frequency response chart to show how your eyes can lie to you

running a silverface champ and a 101B through the same creamback cab and then overlaying them -He also did it with midi synth piano and a guitar DI

The two tones sounded and played almost completely differently as you can imagine - frequency response is always going to be similar running the same guitar DI through the same speaker. The amp changes how you PLAY and that changes the PERFORMANCE because it feels different under the fingers, and reacts differently.

Since Glenn fucking sucks dick at guitar, he thinks this doesn't matter because it doesn't matter to HIM.

But your average idiot beginner/I Fucking LOVE Science Bro will see a freq response chart and be like OMGZ THEYRE THE SAME THO

It's amazing how people get away with using "science" and "Facts" and pretending to be "objective" by selectively choosing what data to present to an audience like this - just so everyone knows, if you dial them in to sound shitty as hell, through the same speaker you can basically get ANY two amps to match up on a frequency response chart.

The engineer who I worked under for a long time did something similar, with a frequency response chart to show how your eyes can lie to you

running a silverface champ and a 101B through the same creamback cab and then overlaying them -He also did it with midi synth piano and a guitar DI

The two tones sounded and played almost completely differently as you can imagine - frequency response is always going to be similar running the same guitar DI through the same speaker. The amp changes how you PLAY and that changes the PERFORMANCE because it feels different under the fingers, and reacts differently.

Since Glenn fucking sucks dick at guitar, he thinks this doesn't matter because it doesn't matter to HIM.

But your average idiot beginner/I Fucking LOVE Science Bro will see a freq response chart and be like OMGZ THEYRE THE SAME THO

so, trust the science?

:D

I remember the first time I heard this concept explained to me in such a way that it burned into my mind forever.

"I could Tone Match the EQ curve of a grand piano to output the same frequency response as a 5150 > Mesa 4x12 > SM57, but that doesn't mean they'll sound the same."

I remember the first time I heard this concept explained to me in such a way that it burned into my mind forever.

"I could Tone Match the EQ curve of a grand piano to output the same frequency response as a 5150 > Mesa 4x12 > SM57, but that doesn't mean they'll sound the same."

Yep, exactly.

When I started out in recording, I thought a mix was just a "math" puzzle where I could cut little holes into the EQ spectrum and then "shape" the eq of all the instruments to fit into the little holes.

This shit doesn't work like that. Glenn using a frequency response graph like that is literally the most dishonest thing someone can do to try and tell you a valveking and an SLO are "the same."

Not that valvekings suck, they sound quite good. But the amount of dishonesty is seriously mind boggling.

It's one of those lies that ANYONE with any serious recording knowledge will recognize straight away, but your average hobbyist beginner will just lap up because it's "Science" and "Objective" and they don't fucking know any better.

Fuckin dork. All these YouTube videos are kinda funny. Unless you are sitting there…you’re not getting an accurate picture…playing a digital video of a digital recording of a tube amp. Am I making sense?

This is actually way, way worse than just that aspect of it.

It's more like youre measuring the RPM of the highway cruising speed of a Ferrari f40 and a 96 Honda Civic and saying "see, they're both at 3200 rpm at highway cruising speed, they're totally the same"

It's funny guys get so triggered by him. This ain't that hard to deal with:

are glenn and henning the same person? Henning = glenn without the wig and with a fake accent? I cannot watch either

are glenn and henning the same person? Henning = glenn without the wig and with a fake accent? I cannot watch either
Glenn gets to whatever point much quicker; Henning can make a review video that only needs 15 minutes an hour+; fluff is another one I avoid, but at least he got a EBMM signature guitar for his efforts. :LOL:

Glenn, clickbait and ragebait

Name a more iconic combo.

Back