VH4 Clean volume very quiet vs other channels?

Nolly

Hi guys,

I've noticed recently that with CH1 volume maxed out, I'm having to run the other channel volumes at around 11 oclock to prevent getting a massive volume change when changing to or from my clean sound. I know it's often the case with other amps, but I can't remember the imbalance being this extreme before. Maybe I'm just not remembering correctly. It's a tad annoying as I prefer the dirty sounds with the channel volumes set much higher.

Any other VH4 owners like to chime in?

Cheers in advance,

Nolly

Cheers Peter,

Is this something I'd have to send it back to the factory to do? I know the UK distributors pretty well, perhaps they could sort it somehow?

Are you 100% that it's not something silly like a preamp tube gone bad?

Thanks for taking the time to respond, very cool of you :rock:

Nolly

I noticed the same thing. Very low output on Channel 1. Mine is at the amp lab right now, so maybe it would be a
good thing to get it updated.

I never encountered this problem when I had a VH4. I was gigging at the time, so it was cranked regularly too. I got mine in 2001 so it was an older one if that makes a difference.

There is a volume on every channel.
We never had an issue with quiet
channel one.

Do You have full output level on Your
axe ?

Clean output level depends on type of V1.

It needs solder skills to replace parts
inside the amp.

Cheers MARK2C and fearhk213, good to hear other people's experience. Seems we've got conflicting experiences though, so I don't really know what to make of it!

Peter Diezel":24ejwud9 said:
There is a volume on every channel.
We never had an issue with quiet
channel one.

Do You have full output level on Your
axe ?

Clean output level depends on type of V1.

It needs solder skills to replace parts
inside the amp.

Interesting. Yes, I have my guitar volume on full nearly all of the time.

I'm fairly handy with a soldering iron, is it possible for me to replace the resistor myself then?

Cheers once again!

Nolly

Hey Nolly,

please shot a few pics from the board inside
and send it to peterdiezel (at) diezelamplification (dot) com.

I will mark the position of the resistor.

Thanks,

Peter

DSCF1363.jpg

Cheers Mark,

I'll send that picture direct to Peter's email address. Hopefully that's sufficient, otherwise I'll open up the VH4 tomorrow and get some more pics.

Nolly

Cheers Mark,

I'll send that picture direct to Peter's email address. Hopefully that's sufficient, otherwise I'll open up the VH4 tomorrow and get some more pics.

Nolly
Did you ever get this sorted out Nolly? I’m very rarely ever on channel 1 as it is, but last night I noticed channel 1’s volume needed to be cranked much higher than the other channels. I don’t remember that being an issue from when I first got the amp, but like I said, I’m rarely on channel 1 lol

The clean channel on my VH4 is damn loud, Of course, it depends on the gain knob as well, but that needs to be at 11 o'clock al least anyway.

On my early VH4 Channel 1 has always been quieter than the others.
If you use it live keep the other channels at noon or below and it isn’t an issue.

Back