VHT 50/CL gig review

• Thread starter Thread starter stratotone
  • Start date Start date
stratotone
stratotone
So, got a 50/CL with all the trimmings (EQ and reverb) and tried it out at the gig saturday. I usually use a JSX, but had a VHT long ago and sold it - one showed up on ebay with all options and a footswitch so I jumped on it.

First things first - the VHT handled my GT8 perfectly. The loop on the 50/CL is damn near perfect - you can either use it parallel or series (I went series) and line or pedal level (I went pedal). Also has a return level control too. Took me about 30 seconds to set it where I could bypass all fx on the GT8 and turn the loop off and on (via footswitch) and it sounded 95% the same. Yeah, there was a slight difference, but nothing bothersome for me. Could even just be the different sound of the fx loop circuitry being added, but it was fine either way.

Had compliments on my tone from several people who had seen me play with the JSX and bandmates... they said it sounded more agressive than the JSX and I had a lot more clarity on my high gain tones.

One thing that is good/bad about the VHT is that clarity... you can hear at full tilt whether or not you're hammering, picking or picking each note hard, and if you slop a note it shows it. the JSX is a lot more forgiving - and easier to play. I wasn't playing the VHT as loud as I would the JSX, since the tone just projects really well.

Am I going to get rid of the JSX? Not sure. It's a terrific amp, but I like the way the VHT keeps me on my toes, and I do like the tones better. The JSX has an extra channel, and rocks! But it has a more (for want of a better term) generic tone, and the VHT is just a 'go for the throat' sound. After I set up the amp and hit the first chord at stage volume, a couple of guitar players came running up wondering what the amp was. :)

Doesn't surprise me to hear your assessment.

VHT's sit in a mix like no other amp I have ever played... they don't really dominate it, but you can hear everything with them.

Great amps in a band setting IMHO. 8)

Back