VHT UL strange popping noise

• Thread starter Thread starter strungout82
  • Start date Start date
S
strungout82
Hi guys,
need some help with my Pittbull UL. When it warms up it develops strange popping or ticking sound, not crackling or hum. It's across all channels. Gain and channel volumes, voicing or eq switches, loop on/off don't make a difference. I can hear it with master volume turned off and turning volume up doesn't change this noise intensity with one exception - around 2 o'clock on MV the noise is just a little quieter. The noise is not very loud and it's frequency is changing in time, it starts with just some pops and then over time it goes quicker and quicker to almost machine-gun sound. I'm not really sure but I think that I can hear it not only from the cab but also from the chassis. When I put the amp on standby it goes away and I hear only some transformer hum from the amp, the cab is quiet. All tubes were replaced, some suspect cold joints resoldered but it doesn't help. I tried unplugging guitar from the amp or going straight into effect loop return but no success. Changed also all the cables, tried another cab, power socket, Hi/Low power switch - it stays the same. I looked at the guts of the amp and the components looked fine, no deformations of caps or burned resistors.

So what should be checked or replaced? Caps, grid resistors, sockets? Arcing problem?

I'm going to take it to the tech again but any tips are welcomed. I love the amp really much and want it to be healthy again...

Thank you

Petr

PS: Sorry for my english, I'm not a native speaker....

Check for cracked resistor bodies (talking hairline cracks) check for any evidence of arcing to chassis, tube sockets, untrimmed component leads to gnd or other net

Little update.....

The amp is fine now. The tech tightened outer powertube socket clamps and the annoying popping noise is gone. I ordered new socket just in case but I hope that it won´t be necessary to replace that. So it was just arcing in power tube socket due to the bad contact with pins.

Thank you mookyj for your suggestions :-)

Petr

Back