Walnut wood? Any experience..

• Thread starter Thread starter veji
  • Start date Start date
veji
veji
i know Claro walnut top is a popular option as a top. But any experience of walnut as a solid body? I read it's similar to maple but some say similar to mahogany. Thinking of getting custom guitar with a walnut solid body with a maple neck and maple board with motorcity afwayu pick set.

I made a xylophone for a birthday gift for a friend's son and of all the woods I had in stock (including Mahogany) the Walnut had the most pleasing resonance. It would probably be great.

There was a local guy that built an Explorer out of Walnut, and I think that is still the heaviest guitar I've ever known. It made a Custom feel like a feather. The tone was very dark and mushy. Could be great with a maple cap, to give it some snap, but ever since then, Walnut was off the table. Just my limited experiences.

veji":4dhqi230 said:
i know Claro walnut top is a popular option as a top. But any experience of walnut as a solid body? I read it's similar to maple but some say similar to mahogany. Thinking of getting custom guitar with a walnut solid body with a maple neck and maple board with motorcity afwayu pick set.
My B.C. Rich Bich 10 String Prototype Reissue was made from solid black walnut. I sold it, because I could not get what I consider to be an acceptable tone. I've owned at least a dozen USA made B.C. Rich Bich guitars, all of which were less than spectacular. I tried several pickup sets, but nothing proved acceptable. I sold it to Lenny Kravitz's guitar tech.

I had a super strat with a walnut body, it had Dimarzio virtual paf's in it and it actually sounded pretty good. It was not dark or mushy. It was similar to an all maple body in tone. I liked it.

Gibson made The Paul out of Walnut. Might want to Google those

Not trying to bash, but I'm genuinely curious, why are you thinking about getting a custom made with solid walnut if you don't know what it sounds like?

fretout":25wkyibu said:
There was a local guy that built an Explorer out of Walnut, and I think that is still the heaviest guitar I've ever known. It made a Custom feel like a feather. The tone was very dark and mushy. Could be great with a maple cap, to give it some snap, but ever since then, Walnut was off the table. Just my limited experiences.

This surprises me. I'm in the lumber business, and Walnut is actually a pretty light-weight wood, compared to mahogany or maple. Are you sure is wasn't something else nicknamed walnut? There is a Brazilian wood called Ipé, that some call "Brazilian Walnut", but in reality it is unrelated to the walnut tree. Ipé is extremely dense and heavy.

A friend of mine has a walnut bass, and it is very light.

jsp":22zgryss said:
Not trying to bash, but I'm genuinely curious, why are you thinking about getting a custom made with solid walnut if you don't know what it sounds like?

I love the look of walnut. I wasn't sure if I should get a swamp ash back/walnut top or a solid walnut body. Judging from what people are saying its safer to go with a walnut top.

Swamp ash with a walnut top works pretty well for me.

UXQcucY.jpg

MWaBren.jpg

Back