Welp, i found out what happens when you use 18v power supply on a non 18v pedal....

• Thread starter Thread starter romanianreaper
  • Start date Start date
romanianreaper
romanianreaper
So I smelled something while I was playing yesterday that smelled like a computer parts store burning....lol....I accidently plugged my Keeley El Rey Dorado into the 18 volt on my pedal power. I messaged Rob to see if I tried it or just temporarily gave it a burned smell. It was a first for me...lol

IfboOq.gif

Might want to place a sliver of tape over any 18v outlets that are not currently occupied by 18v pedals.
Same goes for 1/4" covers/plugs on speaker outs/ins that could potentially cause fried parts.

Same goes for 1/4" covers/plugs on speaker outs/ins that could potentially cause fried parts.
Great idea. I had a friend once plug the speaker cable into the FX return on my Quick Rod once. We were swapping heads. I strap the guitar back on and no sound. Took a minute to figure it out but needless to say I had signal going in and no load for a minute or so there. Then again, I guess tape wouldn't have fixed that :dunno:

I only have one pedal that is 18v (MXR EQ). Thankfully my buddy Mr. Keeley is going to take a look at it and I think they'll be able to get it fixed. I told him it is still working but he said he'd hate for it to fail at the worst time, which is a good point.

The El Rey Dorado is an amazing pedal so I'd buy a new one if I needed to. Has an great tone and like an amp feel.

That sucks, sorry.....but revise your story and make yourself the hero. Say you were playing so fast that your pedal caught fire, after awhile, it will go viral and you will be a hero!

That sucks, sorry.....but revise your story and make yourself the hero. Say you were playing so fast that your pedal caught fire, after awhile, it will go viral and you will be a hero!
Oh yeah, I forgot that part of the story. When I plugged into the 18v, I had just stopped a bus full of kids from going off a cliff.....😂

Aw man, that burns. I did the same thing recently, except it was 15V center positive into 9V center negative. Poor little resistor didn't stand a chance.

Aw man, that burns. I did the same thing recently, except it was 15V center positive into 9V center negative. Poor little resistor didn't stand a chance.
I didn't know what was going on. My wife was curling her hair down the hall and i thought it was that.😂😂😂

Back