What are you boosting your MC II with?

• Thread starter Thread starter Jay Strange
  • Start date Start date
J
Jay Strange
Hey dudes, just thought I'd start a thread on boosting a MC II.
I've used : Maxon OD9-- worked like a charm for low end tightness and grind.Also turns amp into Firebreather.
Analogman King of Tone--Gives a nice push into the amps natural overdriven sound.
The high gain side of the pedal turns amp into Monster!
Rockbox Boiling Point--I could take it or leave it with this amp.
So whatcha usin'?

When I had Wizards, an old TC Electronics booster/line driver/distortion. It has a choice of clean boost (30 db !), mild OD, bass & treble controls, additional XLR output for direct tracks, external bypass capability and built in noisegate. Swiss army knife of boosters and sounds great.

thegame":31wwbm95 said:
When I had Wizards, an old TC Electronics booster/line driver/distortion. It has a choice of clean boost (30 db !), mild OD, bass & treble controls, additional XLR output for direct tracks, external bypass capability and built in noisegate. Swiss army knife of boosters and sounds great.
Sounds killer!!Believe it or not I tried my JMI Treble Booster with the MC II and I
found several killer tones. It boosts the mids and tightens up the bottom more than
adding treble.
Back in the 50s/60s Dudes rocked treble boosters as distortion/overdrive pedals. :rock:

I use a Boss OD3 for extra hair through the front and an MI Audio Boost and Buff in the loop for solos. I call it "The Hammer".. :thumbsup:

BAN-ONE":1tp9ahkv said:
I use a Boss OD3 for extra hair through the front and an MI Audio Boost and Buff in the loop for solos. I call it "The Hammer".. :thumbsup:

Nice!!!! :thumbsup:

Dudes I got a Mesa 5 band EQ in the mail today!!
It KILLS with the MCII, you can make it sound like a mix of Dual Rec/Wizard
or Mark4/ Wizard.
VERY cool!
It makes the bottom end HUGE!!
I HIGHLY recommend you check one out with your MCII.

I have an MCII. I use an Fulltone OCD for lead boosts or a light overdrive on the clean channel. Works great. I used to use a boss sd1 but didn't like the mid peak.

Don't think a newer MC or MCII would ever need a boost... I run a Empress compressor in front sometimes to keep gain at nice lower level and still have the sustain for leads. It works great, the Wizards are already so damn dynamic so it makes the amp a little easier to play also :) Not allot of compression, just a bit.. and no boosting.

About the Mesa 5-band EQ.. I heard the same, that they completely kill in the loop of a wizard. I wanna try it.

Jofipe":1wcsee3j said:
Don't think a newer MC or MCII would ever need a boost... I run a Empress compressor in front sometimes to keep gain at nice lower level and still have the sustain for leads. It works great, the Wizards are already so damn dynamic so it makes the amp a little easier to play also :) Not allot of compression, just a bit.. and no boosting.

About the Mesa 5-band EQ.. I heard the same, that they completely kill in the loop of a wizard. I wanna try it.

Dude that EQ is WICKED with the Wizard :rock:

Wow, I think I wanna try this. I have a new MC2 100 watt and it friggin rips. We do a lot of different tunes in the set and the wizard covers about 95% of it perfectly, but I won't lie, a couple of our tunes can for some serious gain and I found myself wishing it had just a hair more. I have a Maxon 808 and it works pretty darn well, I set the volume on the Maxon at about 2oclock and the gain at 10 o'clock. It seems to be the sweet spot. Also I put the tone knob at about 12:30 and that seems to work best. I also found that to get the most out of this set up, I have to back the lead channels gain on the MC2 down from wide open to about 2 o'clock. Mine sounds better if i hit it with the gain backed off a tad. I'm not sure the Maxon is the end to my search. I will try some others I have and see what happens. I also have a Cusack Screamer V2, that I'm going to try and see what happens. This is an awesome pedal and sounds great when you nail a really good clean channel with it. I will let you know how it does.
I must say, the mesa eq pedal setup you speak of has me very interested. I have the Mesa studio preamp and it has basically that same eq, and it just pummels when engaged. Gonna give this pedal some thought. Do u run it in your loop? I have a MXr 10 band sitting around in a box somewhere...do u think it would do roughly the same magic?
Len

I have to play around with tubes for the loop right now since I get the slightest bit of top end loss. I think a brighter tube than the JJ will help. I have a MXR 10 band for solos and it's working well. I can tweak the EQ curve to account for any tone loss too.

Haven't even hit it with a boost yet. Honestly can't see a reason to use one for my purposes. Edge of break up on channel 1 and the rhythm boost takes it to AC/DC. Channel 2 with the gain at about 6 gives a little more hair and saturation and the lead boost is balls out for me. I have a modded TS9 that I love and a Soul Food, so I'll see what they offer. Most likely will be more for EQ change than anything though.

LanierP":3r4p38te said:
Wow, I think I wanna try this. I have a new MC2 100 watt and it friggin rips. We do a lot of different tunes in the set and the wizard covers about 95% of it perfectly, but I won't lie, a couple of our tunes can for some serious gain and I found myself wishing it had just a hair more. I have a Maxon 808 and it works pretty darn well, I set the volume on the Maxon at about 2oclock and the gain at 10 o'clock. It seems to be the sweet spot. Also I put the tone knob at about 12:30 and that seems to work best. I also found that to get the most out of this set up, I have to back the lead channels gain on the MC2 down from wide open to about 2 o'clock. Mine sounds better if i hit it with the gain backed off a tad. I'm not sure the Maxon is the end to my search. I will try some others I have and see what happens. I also have a Cusack Screamer V2, that I'm going to try and see what happens. This is an awesome pedal and sounds great when you nail a really good clean channel with it. I will let you know how it does.
I must say, the mesa eq pedal setup you speak of has me very interested. I have the Mesa studio preamp and it has basically that same eq, and it just pummels when engaged. Gonna give this pedal some thought. Do u run it in your loop? I have a MXr 10 band sitting around in a box somewhere...do u think it would do roughly the same magic?
Len
They do different things but have a similar outcome so bust that 10 band out and throw it in the loop. I use mine both ways.
I know you really don't need to boost a Wizard BUT if you do find the right boost/EQ and it takes the amp to another level then break that shit out! :rock:

Wizards don't like the Maxon too much. Either the OD820, OD808 and the 808 Extreme. It does like a Green Rhino though. Best pedal I have used with the Wizards is the Monsterpiece Stud. Not the newest version though. I had one of those and preferred the older version for boosting I had next to it. The older version uses linear pots, and lower voltage diodes and it makes it more aggressive. You don't need much of any boost with the amps but a little bit sounds great with the newer Wizards. MCII and MTL.

Ive never needed to boost mine... but I do run the gain on the drive channel full out and pulled out. I basically get warren demartini syle gain which is all I need for what I'm doing. When I had a 2203 I used a blues driver and a spark booster together...sounded pretty good.

Just bought the Bogner Wessex overdrive pedal and the has ended my search for an overdrive pedal for my MC2. Very cool pedal;has a small little transformer inside. I will try and get some clips up of how these two sound together but for me, it is much better than the Od808 I have.
Super cool hitting the clean channel with it as well. Wow!

Back