What is "The" marshall 4x12 to buy

• Thread starter Thread starter mniel8195
  • Start date Start date
mniel8195
mniel8195
If i wanted to buy a used marshall 4x12 cab off craiglist and i wanted either greenbacks or v30's what model should i be looking for? Are there better years or designs to keep in mind? Thank you.

Depends on the amp...but in general I like Greenbacks slightly more than v30s

If you are looking for Greenbacks old school 70s Marshall cabs first, then the 1960a or b classic cabs are good along with the AX or BX like Reza said. I would try for vintage first if you can find one. Another really cool cab is the 425A or B cabs, hard to find G12C greenbacks. They are the Vintage Modern or Hendrix Marshall cabs. With V30s the earliest ones that I know of came with the Silver Jubilee cabs from 87. Then Marshall produced them as the 1960av or bv cabs. The Jubilee cabs mostly came with 75s or 70s so make sure you check. Really, check every cab because you never know if they've already pulled the original speakers. If no luck on Craigslist try Guitar Center.com....quite a few on there but price is 5-700, but they'll ship a cab for 40 bucks. And 45 days now to return it....

If I could ever sell my Soldano 4x12, I'd get a Marshall 4x12 with Greenbacks the next day. But I just don't have room in the house for another cab until then.

mniel8195":3e7l5gm3 said:
If i wanted to buy a used marshall 4x12 cab off craiglist and i wanted either greenbacks or v30's what model should i be looking for? Are there better years or designs to keep in mind? Thank you.

1960 AV/BV = Vintage 30's
1960 AX/BX = Greenback's

A word of advise is to bring a power driver to unscrew the back to verify. I have had 3 potential purchases with replaced speakers in the cabinet. I trust no one

That being said, for the price they are going for, you could likely get a used Bogner cab with will be superior.

Not trying to hijack the thread, aside from what's already been mentioned, which Marshall cabs came loaded with the G12-65's? I believe it was the JCM 800 cabs from the 80's, but I'm not sure. Aren't those sought after as well?

Mr. Willy":2nkv2fqf said:
Not trying to hijack the thread, aside from what's already been mentioned, which Marshall cabs came loaded with the G12-65's? I believe it was the JCM 800 cabs from the 80's, but I'm not sure. Aren't those sought after as well?
I like those best with almost any Marshall. They started putting the 65s in late 70s Marshall cabs, they had a Marshall label on the back instead of the Black back greenies. The plate might say 100w but they were really 260w. I had a 79 checkerboard cab, great sounding cab. Then they continued with the JCM 800 cabs until 83 or so, and had regular celestion labels. I have 4 bass cone 65s now from '81 and they are just as nice as the lead cones IMO. And if anyone cares I did A/B these with the WGS ET65s and they are very close. 65s are like a greenback with a less crispy high end.

thanks everyone. I would prefer a Friedman cab but i was just keeping my eye out for something used. I like the idea and look of the vintage cabs with greenbacks or v30's.

I have found over the years what works best for a Marshall style amp (modded or stock) and for me in a band setting is a UK 25w greenback loaded 1960AX the BX being my second choice

Racerxrated":292wb5hr said:
Mr. Willy":292wb5hr said:
I like those best with almost any Marshall. They started putting the 65s in late 70s Marshall cabs, they had a Marshall label on the back instead of the Black back greenies. The plate might say 100w but they were really 260w. I had a 79 checkerboard cab, great sounding cab. Then they continued with the JCM 800 cabs until 83 or so, and had regular celestion labels. I have 4 bass cone 65s now from '81 and they are just as nice as the lead cones IMO. And if anyone cares I did A/B these with the WGS ET65s and they are very close. 65s are like a greenback with a less crispy high end.

I had a 1960A with T75s and I still have a 1982A with G12-80s and a 1960B with G12-65s. The 1960B cab is by far my favorite of the three. All three of them sound great with my Mark III, but the 1960B loaded with 65s is the clear winner and also sounds absolutely killer with my Mesa Electradyne.On top of that, I like the 1960B better than the Mesa Road King, Mesa Traditional or Mesa 2x12 cabs I owned and probably slightly edges out my Mills Acoustic Afterburner most days.

Rezamatix":1ltt6dm9 said:
Any of the 1960B variations are usually pretty solid.
I put V30's in mine.
And I always get bottom cabs.
Personally my favorite (and the one I own) is the 1960BX

I agree with this...though I do an x with the stock 75's and 30's. Always go with the B straight cabs, more volume, more bass, less woofy.

if you ask 10 different people, you'll get 10 different answers :thumbsup:

iplayloudly":jh61r49f said:
if you ask 10 different people, you'll get 10 different answers :thumbsup:
:lol: :LOL: Too true. Although I think after doing some research one can figure out which cab/speakers usually work best. Believe me if I had known 10 years ago what I know now concerning amps that really gel with certain speakers, I'd have saved a lot of cash! :D

mincy":e9pxu2y5 said:
Racerxrated":e9pxu2y5 said:
Mr. Willy":e9pxu2y5 said:

I had a 1960A with T75s and I still have a 1982A with G12-80s and a 1960B with G12-65s. The 1960B cab is by far my favorite of the three. All three of them sound great with my Mark III, but the 1960B loaded with 65s is the clear winner and also sounds absolutely killer with my Mesa Electradyne.On top of that, I like the 1960B better than the Mesa Road King, Mesa Traditional or Mesa 2x12 cabs I owned and probably slightly edges out my Mills Acoustic Afterburner most days.
65s really are great with every amp I've had over the past few years. Any Marshall, Mark series, SLO, Deliverance 60/120, EVH 5153....just a nicely balanced speaker.

I have an '02 Marshall 1960BC ("Classic") 4X12 with UK Greenbacks and an '06 Marshall 1960BV with V30s. I decided to swap around a pair in each, so I did one with Greenbacks on top and V30s on the bottom and an X pattern in the other. I've only tried the Greenbacks on top cab with the band so far, but it sounded good. I'll take the X pattern cab out next go round and see which I like better.

I still have a '76 Marshall 4X12 with G12M "Blackbacks" and my '98 Mesa Rectifier (Traditional, Straight) 4X12 with Mesa V30s (from the days when they were all still called "Rectifier Cabs"). All of my cabs are straight cabs.

If you want V30s, I would go with either a Marshall 1960(A or B)V or a Mesa 4x12.
For Greenbacks, the EVH 4x12 is pretty hard to beat.
I've had eight Marshall 4x12 cabs at the same time at some point. They were from 67 through 70, and all had the original Greenbacks, both the 20, 25 and 30 watts. When I've started the studio, diversity was the key, s I've sold 7 of them and kept the absolutely best sounding old Marshall cabinet that I've had... a 67 angled with 20w Greenbacks. It sounded a lot better than all the other straight vintage Marshall cabs I had.
So, a few years later EVH release the 4x12 with 20w greenies. I bought two of them right away!!!

Racerxrated":1mi07nty said:
mincy":1mi07nty said:
Racerxrated":1mi07nty said:
Mr. Willy":1mi07nty said:

65s really are great with every amp I've had over the past few years. Any Marshall, Mark series, SLO, Deliverance 60/120, EVH 5153....just a nicely balanced speaker.

That's what I have, a JCM800 4x12 with 65's with my Mesa Mark IV on it. If I was going to get another cab it would be an old metal grill with MC90's/EVM 12L's, then I'd get a Mesa Traditional.

The white 20th Anniv Marshalls came with 65's as well... I miss mine.. great sounding speaker

Back