What pick-up's would you recommend for a Jackson DK2-Alder body?

• Thread starter Thread starter patsplat
  • Start date Start date
patsplat
patsplat
What would you recommend for replacement P.U.'s for an Alder body Jackson DK2 ?

It looks just like the one pictured below and here are it's specs...

Model Name DK2 Dinky Series Pro Series
Body Alder (with Flame Maple Veneer on Transparent Colors)
Neck Bolt-On Rock Maple Machine Heads Die-Cast Tuners
Fingerboard Rosewood Frets 24 Jumbo Frets
Pickups Duncan Designed® HB-102B Humbucker Bridge, Duncan Designed® SC-101 Single-Coil Middle, Duncan Designed® SC-101 Single-Coil Neck
Bridge JT580 LP Double Locking 2-Point Tremolo Hardware Chrome Pickguard NA
Scale Length 25.5"
Case Not Included
Included Accessories NA

The kid it belongs to said he is into KSE and Between the Buried and Me.I was looking at these two sets from 8th street.com...

EMG EMG S/S/85
http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=8130&Category=Pickups $230.00
EMG EMG S/S/81
http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=8129&Category=Pickups $230.00

...but the kid's dad talked like he didn't want to spend 2 or 3 hundred on the project.It's missing some trem. arm and locking nut parts as well.

So what do you think...passive's or active's ? ...and fairly cheap :? Like maybe even used off ebay.

Attachments

• jackson_dk2skulls.jpg
    jackson_dk2skulls.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 946
if it has to be cheaper i'd go passives. then you could swap the bridge and neck pu's only (i can imagine the middle doesn't get much use). trem arm and locking nuts shouldn't cost a fortune. my suggestion: SD JB and Hot Rails in the neck.

i wouldnt bother changing to a JB...that Designed pickup is going to sound so similar to it that its just gonna be a hassle to change it out. the Designed pickups are actually good, despite what some people say (the Detonators arent very good though...LOL) but the Designed Distortion is very good and VERY close to the original (so close i wouldnt change it out...) and the JB version is very close to the original as well i hear.

just a thought though...if its Killswitch's tone he wants the 85 in the bridge is the way to get it. otherwise...id say stay stock and get the trem and nut parts LOL locking nuts arent that exepensive and neither are trem arms and stuff...just gotta shop around!

stanbog":8c580 said:
my suggestion: SD JB and Hot Rails in the neck

Hey man...thanx for the reply! 8) ....So far it looks like ebay is his best option.I found a used JB, a used hotrail, and a JT580 trem w/ arm & lock nuts for around $150 all together.

Anyone else care to chime in ?

I'm a way bigger fan of the Bill Lawrence L500xl in the bridge than the JB of any ilk. Passive but gets a great metal tone like an EMG. I think they're relatively cheap too, something like $60 direct from the Bill Lawrence site.

Mudder":ff566 said:
I'm a way bigger fan of the Bill Lawrence L500xl in the bridge than the JB of any ilk. Passive but gets a great metal tone like an EMG. I think they're relatively cheap too, something like $60 direct from the Bill Lawrence site.

soc_monki":ff566 said:
just a thought though...if its Killswitch's tone he wants the 85 in the bridge is the way to get it.

Thanx for the replies...I appreciate it !! :twisted:

So far I've got ...
JB-bridge,Hot Rail-Neck
EMG 85-bridge(which is what I was thinking of in the first place..maybe a used one from ebay...check this out.. http://cgi.ebay.com/EMG-SL20-SLV-EMG-85-for-Fender-Stratocaster-pickups-set_W0QQitemZ150019174257QQihZ005QQcategoryZ41427QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Bill Lawrence L500xl-bridge

I should also mention that his center single coil is cracked long ways,and should probably be replaced.

Anyone else care to weigh in ? 8)

stanbog":1e5dc said:
trem arm and locking nuts shouldn't cost a fortune.

fixed it, sorry. my fingers were faster than my head obviously. :roll:

i'm personally against getting EMG's because you said it has to be cheap. if you go with the actives it would be much better to change all pu's to EMG. having an active in the bridge and passives in the middle & neck is a hassle you don't really want to deal with.

stanbog":5b2a8 said:
i'm personally against getting EMG's because you said it has to be cheap. if you go with the actives it would be much better to change all pu's to EMG. having an active in the bridge and passives in the middle & neck is a hassle you don't really want to deal with.

Yeah...it looks like EMG's is out of the question at this point.I fixed it so he can be playing it with the stock hardware(one black lock nut with his two chrome and no whammy bar :mrgreen: ) until his parents buy the needed parts.

Mudder":5b2a8 said:

*edit-again :) * Well..I've done some web searching and I think I'm going with the L500xl unless I find a reason not to.He said that he didn't even use the two single coils and the stock one's work(even the cracked one)..so I think I'll just leave 'em be.

His parents talk like they're pretty strapped for $$$ ATM so it may be a bit before they can buy any parts...so if someone would like to add anything else..please do.

Thanx again to all who replied 8)

Back