What sounds good with a DiMarzio Tone Zone?

skullfxr

I have too many sitting around from getting torn out of Ibanez' most of my guitars I am satisfied with as is, but is there anything that a tone zone really excels with? Air nortonss are far more usable for me. They will find a spot.

Anybody have thoughts other than try to trade them for any other DiMarzio on CL?

TZ is one of my favorite pickups; it sounds amazing in any strat-style guitar to me

The TZ is a problem solver for me in bright guitars where every other pickup sounds too bright / thin / harsh.
In most guitars it's mud city with no cut.
To me it's kinda like the SD SH11 Custom Custom, but maybe even darker, with a little more output.
IMO, the perfect guitar for a TZ would be a maple or maple / ebony neck super strat with a trem, or maybe an SG.
Should also mention that when I need that tone now, I go for an MCP Afwayu.
Does what the TZ and SH11 do in bright guitars, but better.

Lol, I thought about buying up a few cheap TZs :D

I just put the stock TZ back in my Charvel So-Cal the other day, and it made me wonder why I ever played pickup roulette in that guitar. It sounds great in there as is. It has probably been 6-7 years since I last had it in there. I have had the Duncan Custom, Distortion, Invader, etc.... in there over the last several years. It is Alder/Maple neck, so naturally very bright. I thought about trying the TZ in a few other bright guitars I have.

It also makes me want to try some other related pickups, like the Super Distortion, and the D Sonic.

Shask, if you like the Tone Zone, you should try the BG Hellabucker. To me it's like a more versatile, better sounding TZ. By far my fave high output pickup

I tried the Tone Zone back in the 90s and hated it in my guitar at the time. I don't know if it was wired wrong, etc. but I was so disappointed. When I would hear people talk about it, would always blow my mind since I didn't have the same experience.

I probably need to give it another whirl one day.

romanianreaper":1o0lx4kh said:
I tried the Tone Zone back in the 90s and hated it in my guitar at the time. I don't know if it was wired wrong, etc. but I was so disappointed. When I would hear people talk about it, would always blow my mind since I didn't have the same experience.

I never "got it" either, just like I don't get the hate on the JB by some folks. Po-tay-toe, po-tah-toe...

You need to have it in the right guitar. A guitar with a maple board and floyd/basswood can give you a very awesome sound(IMO). GREAT for bridge pickup leads. Has a great feel and is chewy........High notes don't cut your head off but it's still very clear. I have an Air Zone in my 92 RG550(maple board), it's perfect for me. Not using it with a tone pot connected sounds best IMO. I'll probably always use that pickup in this style of guitar. It just works. I just don't find that the TZ is muddy at all. Disconnect the tone pot.

My sentiments are opposite on the Air Norton too...I thought it was muddy in the neck(or more accurately put, lacked sparkle), didn't like it at all.

I love it too. Have TZ in several superstrats with Super 2 in the neck. Balls, chunky, good definition for such output.

Chris O":3m8dktaa said:
romanianreaper":3m8dktaa said:

I never "got it" either, just like I don't get the hate on the JB by some folks. Po-tay-toe, po-tah-toe...

Dude, I think we like the same tonez!!!! Makes sense since years ago I bought your DeMartini "Skulls" with a JB (RTM) in the bridge. :) I think we are Seymour Duncan dudes.

BTW, I'm still angry at myself for trading that guitar for a Les Paul Classic. My Classic is ok, but it is no Charvel "Skulls". I need to get another one. I have the DeMartini "Frenchie" but don't like it as much as the San Dimas style. I don't know what it is but the San Dimas style sounds more my style.

Back to the Tone Zone, I can't remember if I've ever had it in another guitar before. The funny thing is I may have had a Tone Zone in that Ibanez I traded with Rob Keeley back in high school. I think the JB and Tone Zone are probably similar in that the guitar makes a huge difference. Found that out when I had a Jackson RR5. Did not like the JB in that.

Purpleibby":3a5bx2me said:
You need to have it in the right guitar. A guitar with a maple board and floyd/basswood can give you a very awesome sound(IMO). GREAT for bridge pickup leads. Has a great feel and is chewy........High notes don't cut your head off but it's still very clear. I have an Air Zone in my 92 RG550(maple board), it's perfect for me. Not using it with a tone pot connected sounds best IMO. I'll probably always use that pickup in this style of guitar. It just works. I just don't find that the TZ is muddy at all. Disconnect the tone pot.

My sentiments are opposite on the Air Norton too...I thought it was muddy in the neck(or more accurately put, lacked sparkle), didn't like it at all.

Just curious, do you like Seymour Duncan pickups? I'm wondering if some of us lean one way or another with pickup brands. Would be interesting to see if we stick to what we know. You are right though man, amazing how much a guitar can change the tone.

romanianreaper":1ttaspzm said:
Purpleibby":1ttaspzm said:

Just curious, do you like Seymour Duncan pickups? I'm wondering if some of us lean one way or another with pickup brands. Would be interesting to see if we stick to what we know. You are right though man, amazing how much a guitar can change the tone.
Could change though just depending on the guitar. I probably have 8 different Duncans, but like the TZ, and the Crunchlab, which are the couple Dimarzios I have. I want to try some other Dimarzios also, just for something different.

romanianreaper":2hxbhcl4 said:
Purpleibby":2hxbhcl4 said:

Depends on the guitar for me. For Ibbys(and my charvel really) I like Dimarzios(Air Zone/Tone Zone Bridge...Paf Joe neck) But I like the JB in the bridge of a rosewood/alder strat though...that's a magic combination(but in my Koa Charvel it didn't work)...also like the EVH Frankenstein bucker. In my Les Paul I actually get along fine with the stock pickups. I've been through a LOT of pickups finding the one that works for each guitar in my collection(not counting the Les, which has a 57 classic and I've just decided not to mess with it, it sounds great how it is...could just be that specific LP which has a great sound).

Shask":wmko9zzr said:
romanianreaper":wmko9zzr said:
Purpleibby":wmko9zzr said:

Could change though just depending on the guitar. I probably have 8 different Duncans, but like the TZ, and the Crunchlab, which are the couple Dimarzios I have. I want to try some other Dimarzios also, just for something different.

Yeah, nothing wrong with all of us chasing our tones and trying different things. :thumbsup:

Purpleibby":3vakqtc8 said:
Depends on the guitar for me. For Ibbys(and my charvel really) I like Dimarzios(Air Zone/Tone Zone Bridge...Paf Joe neck) But I like the JB in the bridge of a rosewood/alder strat though...that's a magic combination(but in my Koa Charvel it didn't work)...also like the EVH Frankenstein bucker.

I will say this. Obviously Dimarzios are amazing pickups when you look at some of the players that swear by them. I mean Satch and Vai with them in their Ibanez guitars is a perfect combo. Ace and his Super Distortion, etc. I'm a Seymour Duncan guy but if I wouldn't swap a Dimarzio out if it came with a guitar I really like.

I think I need to give Dimarzios another try like Shask said. I'd love to have a Satch guitar someday but I'm on a Gibson Les Paul Special kick right now so will have to wait.....LOL!

The Tone Zone sounded really good in my Ibanez which is an Ash body and Maple/Wenge neck. (Bolt on, 25.5 scale of course) I have replaced it to try other pups (using an Afwayu...again lol) but it wasn't really necessary and I kept the Tone Zone in for almost a year.

Back