What upgrades for a MIM Strat

• Thread starter Thread starter jirojan
  • Start date Start date
J
jirojan
Hi guys,

Ive got an old MIM strat laying around that plays like a dream, however the hardware is kinda lacking....currently it has a SD hot rails in the bridge (i also have a stock 2019 MIA strat)

Its black with rosewood neck. im thinking of blacking it out (other than the fretboard and headstock) What do you think of the look and the upgrades?

Its about $600 in parts, but this thing will basically be top of the line lol

Thank you!

So far this is what i have:

1) Pickups / pickguard

Was thinking about buying a loaded pick guard and dropping that in there. Never played any but heard great things about fralin single coils (black pickguard with black pickups and knobs)

maybe something like this? with vintage hots? what pickups would you recommend? ($300ish)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lindy-Fral...:~PwAAOSww8td0hlN:sc:USPSPriority!91405!US!-1

2) Upgrade tuners (black)

Never really messed with tuners before but this thing wont stay in tune very long and this kinda bugging me, so i was thinking of the Gotoh Magnum Lock-Trad 6-In-Line Tuners ($70)

https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_an...e&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=2020-05-gp

3) Upgrade nut (black) ($20) figure this is a cheap upgrade and i might as well

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...crccfB1YDmfsF6SOY-BoCZe0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

4) Tremolo and saddles black $150

Not sure if this is worth the cost, but i figure id have to in order to complete the look and match the remaining upgrades

https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_an...ZQUMO5sc2-CVEZYWdWUXs93Yg6-P_P8hoC0TMQAvD_BwE

5) Input jack (black) $15 to complete the look

https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_an...GSwgdgQaJcSHIC8sewfWbuErqjQbPgQxoCoqoQAvD_BwE

6) Strap locks (black) $20

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...CWRbpNnFxqaNEDMspmxoCrdYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Hey there. First and foremost good luck and have fun. That's the most important part.

I have a MIM Strat too. 2008. I think it is a great player. I've upgraded mine too but mine was a HSS.

Several different pickups have been through there but I think you were wanting to stick with SSS. Can't help you too much honestly on that part but Fralin obviously has a good name and I've heard good stories about guitarfetish dot com.

Personally, I think the tuners are great. Unless you are really really wanting the black black look I wouldn't worry about them - or save that last. If you are not stretching your stings on restring and adding some graphite to the nut too, I feel like those will affect your tuning more. I even filed mine down a bit and use both pencils and powered graphite depending on mood.

Upgrading the nut I can totally see. But if you are just going to get a cheap one for looks only - don't do it. A cheap nut is never worth it. Use some of your budget to get a good nut and maybe even a graphite one. Those can be a bit tricky to install too so if not sure, let someone else do it.

The vintage floating 'trem' bridges Fender uses are on these are actually quite good. Same answer as above is I wouldn't do it just have all black. It would have to be perfect for me to consider it. Like the nut, they can add frustration to a project if you don't know what you are doing.

Input jack is pretty straight forward if you know how to solder. If you don't - I highly suggest practicing a bit on similar materials (same for pickups etc).

Strap locks - not necessary. I bought some for my Strat and never ended up installing them. But again, maybe you gig and really want the all black look.

That is a lot of words, so the tl;dr version is to try to talk yourself out of the all all black black thing. No offense to you but it is kind of a teeny bopper thing to do. A black strat with chrome hardware actually looks a lot sexier IMO. With that, you don't have to get rid of the tuners or the bridge - which both function quite nicely.

Here's mine and good luck with whatever you decide to do. Please post pics when done.

jnoXyaZl.jpg

311splawndude":8mjsjc3e said:
Hey there. First and foremost good luck and have fun. That's the most important part.

I have a MIM Strat too. 2008. I think it is a great player. I've upgraded mine too but mine was a HSS.

Several different pickups have been through there but I think you were wanting to stick with SSS. Can't help you too much honestly on that part but Fralin obviously has a good name and I've heard good stories about guitarfetish dot com.

Personally, I think the tuners are great. Unless you are really really wanting the black black look I wouldn't worry about them - or save that last. If you are not stretching your stings on restring and adding some graphite to the nut too, I feel like those will affect your tuning more. I even filed mine down a bit and use both pencils and powered graphite depending on mood.

Upgrading the nut I can totally see. But if you are just going to get a cheap one for looks only - don't do it. A cheap nut is never worth it. Use some of your budget to get a good nut and maybe even a graphite one. Those can be a bit tricky to install too so if not sure, let someone else do it.

The vintage floating 'trem' bridges Fender uses are on these are actually quite good. Same answer as above is I wouldn't do it just have all black. It would have to be perfect for me to consider it. Like the nut, they can add frustration to a project if you don't know what you are doing.

Input jack is pretty straight forward if you know how to solder. If you don't - I highly suggest practicing a bit on similar materials (same for pickups etc).

Strap locks - not necessary. I bought some for my Strat and never ended up installing them. But again, maybe you gig and really want the all black look.

That is a lot of words, so the tl;dr version is to try to talk yourself out of the all all black black thing. No offense to you but it is kind of a teeny bopper thing to do. A black strat with chrome hardware actually looks a lot sexier IMO. With that, you don't have to get rid of the tuners or the bridge - which both function quite nicely.

Here's mine and good luck with whatever you decide to do. Please post pics when done.

Thank for the response!

I do wana stick to the SSS layout...most of what i listed is basically why not if im dooing everything else lol

My main confusion is involving the pickups and the bridge and what to get

Best upgrade for that guitar is sell and buy an old Japanese Fernades or Tokai Strat. :lol: :LOL:

Seriously if everything is working fine, as in staying in tune, just experiment with different pickups. You don't want to start investing big money into upgrading all the hardware etc. because first of all you will never get the money back you put into it because it's just a MIM strat and won't really make a difference in tone.

Maybe check into Eric Johnson wiring for the pickguard.

I would not fuss with the bridge. If anything maybe a block, it does make a difference.

Tuners are fine stock. If you want black, buy them.

For a nut, get a black tusq and get it fit properly. It makes a huge difference. I use them on a lot of guitars.

Upgrade pots and caps if you are going to get new pickups. Bourns and NOS PIO make a world of difference.

swamptrashstompboxes":2vdnkcod said:
I would not fuss with the bridge. If anything maybe a block, it does make a difference.

Tuners are fine stock. If you want black, buy them.

For a nut, get a black tusq and get it fit properly. It makes a huge difference. I use them on a lot of guitars.

Upgrade pots and caps if you are going to get new pickups. Bourns and NOS PIO make a world of difference.

ive been trying to find a drop in set ready to go with those things, but im having a hard time finding a company that does that...any idea of one that does?

thanks!

311splawndude":zcj99fu5 said:
Have you checked out Guitarfetish yet?

I have gotten some stuff from them. But just about everything I have tried I would consider a downgrade in comparison to MIM parts. (have not tried the pickups though)

swamptrashstompboxes":13c758gn said:

Top notch advice here. :thumbsup:
Big believer and user of Tusq nuts as well.

Re: Guitarfetish, I've used them a lot when they just came out (back in the HCGF days), but I wouldn't go for their hardware anymore.
If you really want to upgrade some hardware (be it tuners, bridges, tailpieces, switches), my experience has been to fork up the little extra over Guitarfetish, and go for Gotoh, Grover, CTS, Switchcraft and Bourns.

Speeddemon":16c218yn said:
swamptrashstompboxes":16c218yn said:

Top notch advice here. :thumbsup:
Big believer and user of Tusq nuts as well.

Re: Guitarfetish, I've used them a lot when they just came out (back in the HCGF days), but I wouldn't go for their hardware anymore.
If you really want to upgrade some hardware (be it tuners, bridges, tailpieces, switches), my experience has been to fork up the little extra over Guitarfetish, and go for Gotoh, Grover, CTS, Switchcraft and Bourns.

Exactly this.

For me:

Gotoh/Schaller for tremolos
Gotoh/Schaller/hipshot for tuners
Fu-tone blocks
Tusq nuts
Bourns Pots
Switchraft switchrs
Puretone multicontact jack
NOS PIO caps (Russian green ones are good for cheap)

I have all of that on every Gibson, Tele, Strat, and Semi hollow I own. (minus the tuners, I don't upgrade those on Fenders and minus the bridges on the Gibsons and semis) )

First off, if you like chrome, you be you, but black is always awesome.

You don't want to start investing big money into upgrading all the hardware
You could say that about any guitar. I upgraded everything on my strat and it has given it a new life after laying dormant stock for so long. Agreed the investment is a money pit, but inconsequential if you enjoy the end product and keep it.

FWIW, I put a FR Rail Tail in and LOVE it. Will get a 2nd strat to do it again.

crankyrayhanky":1xczqfhn said:
First off, if you like chrome, you be you, but black is always awesome.

You don't want to start investing big money into upgrading all the hardware
You could say that about any guitar. I upgraded everything on my strat and it has given it a new life after laying dormant stock for so long. Agreed the investment is a money pit, but inconsequential if you enjoy the end product and keep it.

FWIW, I put a FR Rail Tail in and LOVE it. Will get a 2nd strat to do it again.

tbh thats why i mentioned i have a MIA one with nice hardware already. The MIM just just one ive had laying around for about 15 years that plays like a dream, so i figured why not dump $600 into it to make it sound as good as it plays....besides i only got the thing for like $150...so im sure worst case id be able to get my money out

If it is a guitar you love - I see no issue putting money into it
Especially if it increases its value or time you spend actually playing it
I think I had your budget wrong in my head before. I was thinking it was $150
I also got the impression that you'd rather have a drop in pick guard
VS soldering something in yourself or paying someone to do that
That's why I brought up guitarfetish
Yes, obviously there are higher quality parts out there
Make sure to post pics ploix

Back