Which is a better mix H30's/Greenbacks or V30/greeanbcaks?

• Thread starter Thread starter Jay Strange
  • Start date Start date
J
Jay Strange
Howsy dudes, any body have experience with mixing V30's X Greenabacks in a 4X12?
How about H30 X Greenback in a 4X12?

Which did you like better and why? :rock:

I think V30's would overpower Greenbacks, the V30's are a lot louder.

Yep. I'd go with as closely matched a wattage rating as well as closest matched sensitivity ratio.

V.

I have one of my 4X12's with V30's on the bottom and Greenback 25's on the top. No X pattern. I like the blend actually but only on a slant cab.

70strathead":3n782i2h said:
I have one of my 4X12's with V30's on the bottom and Greenback 25's on the top. No X pattern. I like the blend actually but only on a slant cab.
I did that to with a Marshall 1960TV slant 4x12 cab. Your ears hear the Greenbacks more on stage and the V30's on the bottom gives the cab more oomph.

Now...I would try Greenbacks with H30's. I've really come to like over the last few years the added clarity and cut that H30's have in the high mids

I really like GB's and V30's mixed, but my favorite is a V30/CL80 mix (especially in a 2x12). I can't stand the G12H Anniv.......either alone or mixed with anything. They have too much high mids/highs and also get really tubby sounding in closed back cabs. At least to my ears.

Sorry, but I really like the V30's/H30's combo. Never tried Greenbacks yet...

:rock:

I criss-crossed a pair of V30s and H30s in an older fatty Ampeg cab I have, and I really like that match. That cab makes guitar heads sound better than they are. Case in point, I recently acquired (didn't pay for it) a Bugera 333, and it actually sounded good on that cab. It sounds like a tinny shit pile through anything else, but it was really tolerable on the V30 x H30.

I'm trying not to have that head for longer than a week. I'm just waiting for a friend to buy it.

But yeah. V30 H30 cross!

another vote for the V30 x H30. Im running a cab like that right now. I dig it

I personally wouldn't mix Greenbacks with anything. They have their own thing going on. YMMV of course.

Here's a little write-up from Bogner's website. Doesn't directly answer your question, but might be of some help:

V30 at 8 and 16 ohm (best all around speaker with 60W power handling, cuts through just where the guitar should sit in a mix)

G12H30 at 8 and 16 ohm (30W only, less upper mids then the V30, a bit more pleasant, nice in combination with the V30)

G25 Greenback at 16 ohm (25W only, classic sweet Greenback tone, nice in combination with the V30 and G12H30)

Classic Lead 80 at 16 ohm (80W, big bass response with smooth dark upper mids, good in combination with the V30 but to dark by itself)

G12T75 at 16 ohm (75W, tighter bass response, we use this one in combination with the V30 in the Ubercab)

Randy Van Sykes":2uhfmayl said:
70strathead":2uhfmayl said:
I did that to with a Marshall 1960TV slant 4x12 cab. Your ears hear the Greenbacks more on stage and the V30's on the bottom gives the cab more oomph.

Now...I would try Greenbacks with H30's. I've really come to like over the last few years the added clarity and cut that H30's have in the high mids

exactly. Hmmm. I'll give the H30's a shot, have you tried Pre-rola black back 30's in combo w/ V30's? I have a pair of those laying around from the 70's I guess i can experiement with too.

I'm in the minority here but i say go with V30/greenbacks. Vinnie Moore does it and it works just fine for him. He makes JCM2000 sound amazing through those mixed cabs.

I ran h30's and greenbacks, loved the low end but hated hard high end. I threw 2 Super V's in and i'm done. Super V's are a better v30 with more bottom and less spike on top. They are awesome with greenbacks.

I have greenbacks in one 412 and V30s in another and play them stereo with the Peters amps and it sounds godly. The Greenbacks cut through the V30s like you wouldn't believe. I actually have to run the V30s louder to maintain a correct mix.

As we mentioned the H30/V30 mix I think is pretty common.

If you are leaning toward the Greenback / H30 combination, don't overlook the Scumback H75/M75 mix, its very common...

Back