Which Marshall 4x12 would suit both my JVM and my Suhr SL67?

• Thread starter Thread starter CarlF
  • Start date Start date
CarlF
CarlF
I’m currently playing both heads thru a PRS 4x12 with Creamback 75s.
I’m not a fan of these speakers or the cab.
I’m thinking the Handwired. Thanks!

Get the Marshall BV and never look back
Yeah. I like slants so I have an AV. I use it with an old 2204 and a 5152 plus any number of amps I've had over the years.

I still have one with G12Ms but I prefer the AV. I'm not a huge fan of the G12H that I think come in the handwired cabs. I prefer a V30.

for you…1960 with greenbacks. I have an avatar with v30’s that is my favorite cab at the moment.

I also have a marshall mode 4 with v30's that is growing on me. Just found my casters for it so I'm going to put them back on and get it off the floor. Hopefully that will help. Really dark sounding.

I also have a marshall mode 4 with v30's that is growing on me. Just found my casters for it so I'm going to put them back on and get it off the floor. Hopefully that will help. Really dark sounding.
Those are huge sounding cabs!

If you find a good used deal the 1960BV or BX would be a good choice.

If you have to fork out the cash for a new one, I'd just get one of the Suhr ones.

AV or AX is absolutely killer, can't go wrong.

Anything you can find with the anniversaries.

Also StoneAge, Mills, Redplate, and Mojotone 1960 copies are just as good as the marshalls - and you can switch out the logo if you need to.

I had one of those a few years ago. Mine was really dark as well but it was a nice cab! Getting it off of the floor isn't going to help it much.

I had one of those a few years ago. Mine was really dark as well but it was a nice cab! Getting it off of the floor isn't going to help it much.

I've had one of those as backline and it was maybe a little dark but absolutely huge sounding

Reactions: fek
AV or AX is absolutely killer, can't go wrong.

Anything you can find with the anniversaries.

Also StoneAge, Mills, Redplate, and Mojotone 1960 copies are just as good as the marshalls - and you can switch out the logo if you need to.
I had the AX 3-4 years ago and I can't remember why I got rid of it. It sounded great. Mark it down to stupidity.
Then when I moved to SC last year, I take the PRS Hendrix amp and cab, and sold a 1987x and a 2012 1960AHW. That may have been the dumbest move. The PRS head is gone and I want the PRS cab gone as well.

1717700055097.jpeg

I have a BV (Marshall Vintage speakers) and a BC (Greenbacks). They both sound killer to me. I had a BV before and loved that one too.

I sure don’t like slant cabs as much as straight.

Marshall BX sound like a joke beside something like Bogner or Friedman. The bottom end is very loose and flubby. BV will be better fit for JVM but not so much for Suhr. Handwired cabs are better compromise for both amp. But still I take Bogner or Friedman with V30/GB25 combo. Glued-in front baffle makes significant difference in tighness and overall sound of the cab. Bonus is that in the US are those cabs in the same price range. In EU I have 2-3 Marshall cabs for one Bogner :)

A Plexi and V30's on their own is not at all the way to go in my opinion. Are you set on a Marshall? As others have pointed out, a Friedman/Suhr/Bogner with a Greenback and V30 blend will work a little better with those amps. Additionally, you could get a Marshall BX and swap in a pair of those Creamback 75's.

A Plexi and V30's on their own is not at all the way to go in my opinion. Are you set on a Marshall? As others have pointed out, a Friedman/Suhr/Bogner with a Greenback and V30 blend will work a little better with those amps. Additionally, you could get a Marshall BX and swap in a pair of those Creamback 75's.
I got Creamback 75s in the PRS cab. I do not like them. Nobody seems to carry Suhr cabs.
I had V30s in a Jubilee 4x12 and everything sounded great thru that cab.
Also, Robin Trower used V30 cabs for decades with various Marshall heads.
It looks like zzounds is expecting a delivery July 11. The only thing certain is that PRS cab is going.

Maybe pick up a Marshall V-30 cab and transplant two greenbacks into it like Dave Friedman does.......

Maybe pick up a Friedman cab unless you want a Marshall cabinet. The only V-30 I that I like with my Plexi's and Superleads is the Mesa V-30, but the older V-30 aren't supposed to be as harsh in the mids.

I tend to like straight cabs a little better but I don't hate slant cabs.

What happened I thought you loved the PRS Hendrix amp?

Last edited:

Back