Who needs a Larry amp? Nailing some iced Earth tones!

V
VESmedic
While they absolutely positively are the cheesiest band of all time, IE was a huge part of my upbringing in metal and like many here, was always obsessed with Jon’s tone. This took an hour or two to get close, but it’s pretty damn spot on for not having jons hands or rig at all really. Anyways it’s sick to me, hope you dig it.

Custom 24 ( holy diver bridge pickup)
Friedman HBE
Marshall 1960B, GT 75s (421+57 mix)
No boost.

EQ used:

Pro Q 3
API 550B
lindell 50 for alittle 7k boost.

Enjoy!

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/d5u7...-75s.wav?rlkey=gxvrj11nl891qf0z7q621lflg&dl=0

Take 2:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/emlh...5s-2.wav?rlkey=5t3jxpr0kg58yz4qkh1es9rob&dl=0

Last edited:
Sounds great. Could never get into iced earth myself. Axe fx or real deal? Ir or cab? No one here would be able to tell the difference anyway. Until you post what you used then the comments come in how blah blah is smeared lol

Sounds great. Could never get into iced earth myself. Axe fx or real deal? Ir or cab? No one here would be able to tell the difference anyway. Until you post what you used then the comments come in how blah blah is smeared lol

Oh you know how this is gonna go, no one is gonna touch it with an opinion until I decide to let it out of the bag…and even then, I’ll probably lie and fuck with all the “golden ear” clowns on the board 😂

Perhaps need more low mid.
Little more ballsacks.

It not the worst tone ever hear on here. Co granulation for this. 🤝

Little more ballsacks.

It not the worst tone ever hear on here. Co granulation for this. 🤝

Agreed! I think more than anything is that it’s not as saturated or gained out as the original track ( Frankenstein) which can give the illusion of it being “thinner” down low especially on palm mutes.

Agreed! I think more than anything is that it’s not as saturated or gained out as the original track ( Frankenstein) which can give the illusion of it being “thinner” down low especially on palm mutes.

It is aggressive but juuusssst enough, before it ice picky. It have very good clarity in upper mids without scratching my ear drum. This I enjoy.

I think this be absolute savage mix with non boost Herbert channel 2+ mixed in at slightly lower level. Like foundation for main tone to ride on if make sense but not overly so.

Well done on this clip VESmedic.
💀💀

It is aggressive but juuusssst enough, before it ice picky. It have very good clarity in upper mids without scratching my ear drum. This I enjoy.

I think this be absolute savage mix with non boost Herbert channel 2+ mixed in at slightly lower level. Like foundation for main tone to ride on if make sense but not overly so.

Well done on this clip VESmedic.
💀💀
Ok Chugg Norris

It sounds very good, the 75s and 57/421 mix are what i use for all my attempts at schaffer, and the post is perfectly done

That said, you can definitely tell the gain structure and clang of the pickups isn't really the same vibe, even with the EQ matched that well

All in all sounds kickass though - unless you're an iced earth superfan like me, that's as close as anyone on RT probably would care to get

Little more ballsacks.
This. Just a pinch of slight boost in the low-mids indeed...

But you're damn close fer sure. 🤘
Maybe -this being possibly placebo/confirmation bias- Jon's original Larry tone is slightly less 'juicy' than yours... his is a bit more on that aggressive, direct side.
But as I said, this could be because I already have this prejudice/expectation (based on both hearing other sound samples and hearing a Friedman HBE from Courtney Cox (Iron Maidens) IRL when we did a soundcheck together) that Friedman typically voices his amps thicker and more 'gooey' than the more dry Larry sound. Not to say that a Larry Dino sounds like a Fryette/VHT by the way. Gain structure is totally different.

The clip does the Iced Earth thing for sure. There's a spike in the upper mids / highs that really nails the same upper sizzle/crunch on the record. Very cool.

Last edited:
It sounds very good, the 75s and 57/421 mix are what i use for all my attempts at schaffer, and the post is perfectly done

That said, you can definitely tell the gain structure and clang of the pickups isn't really the same vibe, even with the EQ matched that well

All in all sounds kickass though - unless you're an iced earth superfan like me, that's as close as anyone on RT probably would care to get
Can you post one of yours in here for AB purposes

Back