Would you do this deal? VHT & early Dual Recto material

• Thread starter Thread starter dirtyfunkg
  • Start date Start date
D
dirtyfunkg
I have the opportunity to do this following trade:

Outgoing: VHT Pittbull Classic 2x12 Combo with Celestion Classic Lead 80's. 9.5/10 cosmetic condition, 10/10 functionality. Made in 1993. Includes footswitch. This amp is a CLX in combo form, except does not have the newer lo/hi gain switches for the rhythm and lead channels, and instead of the depth control, it has a reverb. Everything else is identical, including graphic EQ, etc.

Incoming: Mesa Trem O Verb head, 6/10 cosmetic, 10/10 functionality. Made in 1993. Includes footswitch (trying to find out if it's the 4 button or just channel). He's also throwing in $300.

Do you do this deal? I'm completely torn! Keep in mind that I do have a Fryette Ultra Lead head.

No, I wouldn't, but I vastly prefer VHT to Mesa.

Have you played the Mesa?

jcj":ckp0ig6k said:
No, I wouldn't, but I vastly prefer VHT to Mesa.

Have you played the Mesa?

No. I had a Roadster for a while, and while it was alright, I traded it and $300 for the Ultra Lead.

The reason I'm interested at all is that three of my all time favorite artists used Trem O Verbs extensively: Jeff Buckley, Soundgarden, and Incubus.

Also just got an email back that he only has the single button footswitch. I think that right there is a deal breaker.

Had an Ultra lead for a while....
For me personally....the Mesa tone wasnt as good in the stock form...but after having the Recto modded out by FJA...
it smokes damn near every amp I have heard....played...or owned....(Cept a Deizel) ;)

I personally would not do it in terms of value = value. However, if you have actually played it, and it is what you really want, then go for it. Sometimes a loss financially is a gain in other areas.

I wouldn't dude. I had the same VHT and was the worst mistake I made getting rid of it. The vht classic combo is very uncommon and hard to find. Ask him what he wants cash for the mesa and see if you can hold off and just buy it.

Qweklain":2kaqlk0o said:
I personally would not do it in terms of value = value. However, if you have actually played it, and it is what you really want, then go for it. Sometimes a loss financially is a gain in other areas.
What a good way to put it.
I have owned amps that the value was 3X the amp I have now. Was always looking for the 'next re-sale'...
and they didnt even SNIFF my cheapy recto... ;)
So if you play it....love it....ROCK IT!! :rock:
Dont matter if its a 100 dollar amp....or a 5K amp.....
well at least to me. :D

I ixnayed the deal. He put a cash value of $800 on his amp, but I guess is trying to move really fast. I couldn't deal until at least next week or more likely the week after when my bonus (supposedly) shows up. Found a buyer for my Mills cab but that's going to go towards paying down some debt.

Fact is I prefer the sound of the Classic to the Ultra Lead, but the Ultra Lead is way more convenient since it's in head form. I'd love to trade my combo for a Classic or CLX head, but that's a longshot type of deal. I just hate transporting a combo because I get paranoid about playing gigs without a backup.

I have the pb classic head and a tremoverb head. I like both of them a lot, but completely different in terms of tone and feel. Both sound great recorded, I think I prefer the mesa in the room though.

$800 for a T-Verb is a pretty good deal. I usually see them up around $1200.

Was it local.It would probably cost you 200 to ship that beast.

dirtyfunkg":izhnucjf said:
I just hate transporting a combo because I get paranoid about playing gigs without a backup.
I know what you mean. For over 10 years I carried an extra head to gigs. That being said, there's no reason you can't take your head as well. If your combo craps out, you can plug the speakers into the head.

dirtyfunkg":2srn8q37 said:
I ixnayed the deal. He put a cash value of $800 on his amp, but I guess is trying to move really fast. I couldn't deal until at least next week or more likely the week after when my bonus (supposedly) shows up. Found a buyer for my Mills cab but that's going to go towards paying down some debt.

Fact is I prefer the sound of the Classic to the Ultra Lead, but the Ultra Lead is way more convenient since it's in head form. I'd love to trade my combo for a Classic or CLX head, but that's a longshot type of deal. I just hate transporting a combo because I get paranoid about playing gigs without a backup.
You could always have a headshell made and turn the actual amplifier into a head. People have done it plenty with Mark series combos before (and others). Just a thought!

I've looked into getting a head shell made. It just seems pretty expensive in itself, though would be worth it. I've thought about making one (easiest and cheapest) then having my amp tech do the shielding and chassis transfer. It's just a matter of finding the time to do it.

As for the taking the combo and head in case the combo fails... the plug in for the speakers would need to be extended. Not a major surgery, but it's a surgery nonetheless. Plus it's an open back. And it's heavy as shit. God damn is it heavy.

Back