preamp tube question & what pre tubes r best in a 6505

A

Anonymous

so i know most preamp tubes are jsut relabeled of something else.. so that being said what are GT ecc83s?? and are they any good?? and what are some good preamp tubes for a 6505?? and what preamp tubes to all the 5150/6505 owners have in there amps.. if you could tell me by V1,V2,V5,V3,V4.. I think thats the order it goes..

and one last question what are the stages for each preamp tube in the 6505.. i know v1&v2 are gain stages but not sure about the rest.. and is v4 or v5 the phase inverter tube.??

5150-Tube-Layout.jpg

the way i understand it is in the 5150 and 6505 is that all signal flows this way:

V1-V2-V5-V3-V4- Output Valves

all the channels (including clean) go through the tubes as follows:
V1/V2/V5 are
V3 effects loop
V4 phase inverter

in mine, i like v1 and v2 as chinese 12ax7b

v3 (pi) is a sovtek LPS
v4 (effects loop) is a 12ax7b as well

and v5, imho is the most important for gain and tone, at least i hear the biggest difference in my amp, so i put one of my 2 favorite gain tubes in there, rft 12ax7, or a sylvania 12ax7. rca and ge nos also sound great in this position, im just partial to the 2 i mentioned.

the groove tube ecc83's i have are outstanding, i do believe they are chinese 12ax7b (silver dragons) as well...but, you'd have to post a pic of them for me to be able to help you there bro.

Back