vintage charvel strat head - need help with value

• Thread starter Thread starter jharpersj
  • Start date Start date
J
jharpersj
Hey dudes,

So my buddy has a crazy collection of charvel strat heads and I am trying to pry one loose. This was is well gigged, 22 fret, 1982, white with two hums, rosewood board, serialized and vintage trem. He is thinking $5K, was wondering if the experts here can let me know thoughts on value. It's a chunk of cash but this is a dream guitar for me. Thanks everyone

I may be off a little bit, but that seems high for a strat head. In the 2-3,000 range I could see. At 5 I've seen pre pro's sale for that were mint. Hope that helps

SDMF38":3g48zaty said:
I may be off a little bit, but that seems high for a strat head. In the 2-3,000 range I could see. At 5 I've seen pre pro's sale for that were mint. Hope that helps
I have never seen a legit, all original/unmolested, vtrem 1982 Charvel strat head for under $3K. Good-Excellent condition is going to be way more. $5K-7K or more would not be out of line for an amazing original graphic in near mint condition. Legit "holy grail" B&Y stripes can command $10K...

$2K-3K is going to be a great parts guitar built from legit '82 parts.

Hell, people pay over a grand for beat up original Charvel strat head necks alone... They pay $400 or more for original serialized Charvel neckplates...

Here is a recent sale. White '82 Star poached off of eBay. I'm sure the price paid was higher than the listing ($3995) since it came down fast:

1982 White Charvel Star

IMG_6407_1.jpg

Here is a molested (Floyd'd) '82 strat head for $3500.

1982 Flame Maple Charvel Strat Head

cfbrccyobyb27os59qhm.jpg

Anyone paying $5k for a "mint" Prepro is out of their mind unless they REALLY know what they are doing and can trace it back in some verifiable way (for example a "celebrity owned" guitar or one from the early Charvel catalog with a rare graphic). They are easy to fake and there is no way to trace them. Most offered are parts guitars... At least with a serialized guitar there are resources on the web to verify.

Steve

I've been watching the vintage market for a while, the prices have come down a lot. Especially since Charvel started making them again in 2005+ And the quality is as good or better than the originals. I've seen the cut-throat deals and undermining of people. These days, I wouldn't pay pay more than $1,500 for a parts Charvel, unless I really needed a neck or body to complete something special. I wouldn't pay more than $3,500-$4,000 for a MINT Strat head with solid color and matching pictures/paperwork from the factory. Of course this is just my opinion based on years of watching reading and talking about them.

I think that white star star sold for less than the $3995. I personally wouldn't have paid over $3,000 for it.

sah5150":2t5ozla7 said:
You're talking about Tracy's #1642, no?

Steve
Not to but in but are you guys talking about Trace Jenkins?

I sold him quite a few guitars in the past. And bought from him as well.

Only one I wish I would of kept was the Demartini Skull blood. It was an original.
Think I sold it for $1200?? :lol: :LOL:

Its number 4342 on this link.

Pretty sure I sold him #4875 too. Lot of years back.

http://www.usacharvels.com/charvels.htm

Mailman1971":397dz1sb said:
sah5150":397dz1sb said:
You're talking about Tracy's #1642, no?

Steve
Not to but in but are you guys talking about Trace Jenkins?

I sold him quite a few guitars in the past. And bought from him as well.

Only one I wish I would of kept was the Demartini Skull blood. It was an original.
Think I sold it for $1200?? :lol: :LOL:

Its number 4342 on this link.

Pretty sure I sold him #4875 too. Lot of years back.

http://www.usacharvels.com/charvels.htm
That's the guy I was talking about...

Steve

I lost contact with him years ago.
He sold me this BC Rich that belonged to Mark Kendall.
Another one I sold off that I regret.

lets see some pics of the charvel. those are awesome guitars!! I love super strats!!

Back