Recto Lovers - what would you buy now?

It's definitely easy for that to occur, specifically with graphic EQs. I think most people boost or cut too much. Most EQs shouldn't look like the fader settings on a Mark, they should be more subtle. Parametric EQs seem more natural to me, but again you should be doing subtle changes.

Same thing for boosts if you're doing the internet settings of level on 10. If I boost high gain amps I'm usually right around unity level. You can definitely go higher on the boost if that's the sound you're going for, but I try to just add a little bump in a mids most of the time.
In the loop, absolutely. When I use my MXR in the loop of my T-Verb, it only needs very small nudges.

Yea I get why the C is more money because of the rarity and the fact that it's different. $6k is a lot for an amp no matter what though.

And yea I agree on the Rev F. The one I played sounded basically the same as the early Rev G I owned, which sounded like the other Rev G's I've owned just tighter.

All I'm trying to say is that most people on here will recommend the most expensive or rare option to someone looking for an amp, but in the case of the Rectifiers you're going to get "the Recto sound" with a "normal" 2 channel or multiwatt. You don't need to spend $3k+ for that sound.
This is like saying I could buy an orange candy or from concentrate oj and it’ll have the same flavor as the best fresh squeezed version. Does it still taste like oj? Sure. Does it actually taste as good? Not to me

In my case, I just try to cut through the bs and recommend whatever products I think are the best in their class period regardless of price, practicality or attainability. I just give info/opinions on that. We can all decide for ourselves what’s the most feasible options or best alternatives, but I still think it’s helpful for all of us to have the experience (if we can) of hearing the best stuff out there even if we can’t have it. I can’t afford a real Dumble, but I still had the experience playing one and heard how incredible it was. It is what it is, and I’m not gonna pretend like I have amps that can touch it. I AB’ed some of my favorite amps with it and they just couldn’t remotely get there. I have no problem accepting that. It’s just valuable info/experience to me

Last edited:
Not on mine. Serial in the 40s; pv of 470 on diode/bold. Puts out like an SLO or even a Wizard. Monster power section.
Iirc correctly my C put out more imo than my MTL when compared. The MTL just punches harder (not more) and is tighter, more solid/defined. That’s where I think wizards shine over other amps. I’ll ask my tech to measure my C’s pv when I pick it up from servicing. Just brought it in

This all the way! Especially the bold highlight.

My friend has a Rev C, F and G and he led me onto the EQ thing. He got them sounding dead nuts to each other. I thought for sure it needed the mods done but it truly doesn’t. Since then, I always have EQs in my signal chain. It changes everything. You buy other amps for feel at that point when you realize this 👍🏻
The EQ’s alone are close enough between revisions where you could pretty much match them with what you’re doing, but what really separates each revision imo is more the tonal complexity, aggressive character in certain frequencies, the more liquid connection between notes in the Rev C & D, the extra punch and air moving of them too. These differences won’t be solved with eq’s IME and has never been for me the determining factors in why I liked some pieces of gear more than others

Last edited:
This is like saying I could buy an orange candy or from concentrate oj and it’ll have the same flavor as the best fresh squeezed version. Is it the same flavor? Does it still taste like oj? Sure. Does it actually taste as good? Not to me

In my case, I just try to cut through the bs and recommend whatever products I think are the best in their class period regardless of price, practicality or attainability. I just give info/opinions on that. We can all decide for ourselves what’s the most feasible options or best alternatives, but I still think it’s helpful for all of us to have the experience (if we can) of hearing the best stuff out there even if we can’t have it. I can’t afford a real Dumble, but I still had the experience playing one and heard how incredible it was. It is what it is, and I’m not gonna pretend like I have amps that can touch it. I AB’ed some of my favorite amps with it and they just couldn’t remotely get there. I have no problem accepting that. It’s just valuable info/experience to me

That analogy only works in this scenario if the one brand of OJ is $4,500 more than the other brand and not actually available to be purchased.

That analogy only works in this scenario if the one brand of OJ is $4,500 more than the other brand and not actually available to be purchased.
Well that’s not my point. More just about quality differences where the flavor itself is the same, but in either case I think fresh squeezed juice percentage wise can sometimes be similarly more expensive vs the cheaper alternatives and it’s not always just readily available at any store all the time. There just almost always is a humongous premium for the best vs 2nd or 3rd best. I’m not saying whether it’s worth it or not, but I just like to acknowledge that difference is there. In my main area in classical guitar, there are some $10-20k guitars that some may feel are almost as good as a good example $250K Hauser, but most of us can still hear the Hauser just sounds better still, even if it’s not $240K better. I don’t think you can really quantify it like that anyway. You simply just hear the difference and decide if you wanna pay it or not for it. I will if it’s within my budget, but that’s just me. Dumbles & Hausers are not at all in budget fwiw LOL, but I wish they were

When you're comparing prices across markets it's more accurate to present percentages, not dollar amounts. a $2K Rev G vs a $6K Rev C is a 300% difference. So, a $4 bottle of concentrate OJ would compare to a $12 bottle of fresh squeezed.

Similarly, the Mark IIC+ has historically tracked 300% of the price of a Mark III.

When you're comparing prices across markets it's more accurate to present percentages, not dollar amounts. a $2K Rev G vs a $6K Rev C is a 300% difference. So, a $4 bottle of concentrate OJ would compare to a $12 bottle of fresh squeezed.

Similarly, the Mark IIC+ has historically tracked 300% of the price of a Mark III.
Exactly! It’s very simple concept. My friends fwiw used to think I was nuts (and maybe I am) when I used to buy those juices and other good products… until I had them taste it to see for themselves lol. Quality costs. It is what it is. I think it’s worth it as long as it’s within budget. Life’s imo too short to not enjoy it more. These days I try to just reserve big purchases to gear and less elsewhere

That's not entirely accurate. Raw dollars matter. A 1% mistake that costs a company $2,000,000 isn't the same as a 1% mistake that costs a company $200.

You might be willing to spend an extra 300% on a steak for an anniversary dinner or on vacation because it's $40. You're probably not ok spending an extra 300% on a car. At a certain point the percentage doesn't matter as much as the dollar impact.

That's not entirely accurate. Raw dollars matter. A 1% mistake that costs a company $2,000,000 isn't the same as a 1% mistake that costs a company $200.

You might be willing to spend an extra 300% on a steak for an anniversary dinner or on vacation because it's $40. You're probably not ok spending an extra 300% on a car. At a certain point the percentage doesn't matter as much as the dollar impact.
I agree, but this wasn’t my point or direction I (or probably GjJo) was trying to take this in. I just meant quality differences are often huge in the little bit extra for the best versions of things. Not saying it’s worth it all the time or not, but I go for it when I’m able to. That’s just me

The plate voltage is lower on the Rev C. The one I had dished out only 445 vDC on the power tubes in Bold/Silicon Diodes (117 coming from my wall outlet). Also, the power transformer runs hot which is one of the reasons why they changed it later on.
That`s in the realm of what I measured for my F and E, which all had the early PTs. They were around 450v - 455v. The RevG had around 465v. Only the RevC were the 230v wiring is missing is putting out 20v less. It`s not the filtercaps etc, I measured secondary of the PT and it had around 20v less.

I agree, but this wasn’t my point or direction I (or probably GjJo) was trying to take this in. I just meant quality differences are often huge in the little bit extra for the best versions of things. Not saying it’s worth it all the time or not, but I go for it when I’m able to. That’s just me

I understand. I think it's equally important to show the other side of the coin though, where you can get the vibe you're looking for in a more attainable fashion. That's what I said in my post, and you apparently took umbrage with that, as if you can't actually get the recto sound from a Rev G.

At the end of the day all of this is dependent on the individual. There is no "best", just what's best for you. A Rev C is best for you and that's great, but someone might actually flat out prefer an F or G to a C because of their tastes.

Everything you've said here is directly tied to the relative scale of how many dollars a person or organization has available. So, it's still percentage based.

Or I suppose the way you're looking at it, raw dollars only matter when you don't have them! :ROFLMAO:

The car example is not immune. You could spend $15K on a used car, or $45K on a new version of the same car. Or a Miata vs a Corvette, concept is the same. It's all relative to the spending power & proclivities of the spender.

That last 10% of any hobby is VERY expensive. Not everyone can afford it, and that's OK.

MW or a Roadster. I've owned all of them from F up to the Badlander (which I haven't owned). For the looser Recto sound, I love the Roadster, it sounds huge and has all the cool stuff from the Road King, without any of the stuff that seems cool but you'll never actually use.

For the tighter and more aggressive sounds, the Rev F Racktifier I had was my favorite, but those amps are stupid expensive now. I more recently had a Tremoverb and it was okay, like all the Rev Gs. The 3 channels were my least favorite and the MW has all the good Recto tones in an amp that's still in production and don't need service for another 10-15 years.

Very true. Like it or not, the Rev G IS the sound of the 90s.
Can’t argue that, but I’ll say the ‘90’s would’ve imo sounded even better if those bands used Rev C & D’s instead lol. I likewise think the Metallica sound coulda been even better if they used JBL’s or Crescendo’s instead of EV’s plus a non-simul c+ for a more aggressive sound, but that’s just me I guess

This all the way! Especially the bold highlight.

My friend has a Rev C, F and G and he led me onto the EQ thing. He got them sounding dead nuts to each other. I thought for sure it needed the mods done but it truly doesn’t. Since then, I always have EQs in my signal chain. It changes everything. You buy other amps for feel at that point when you realize this 👍🏻
This is like saying you can make a Mark III sound just like a C+...well, sure, after all they are Marks and they'll sound similar....but there are still big differences. It's not as simple as 'eq to brighten it' ...ok so it's brighter....so now it's a C? Hard to believe that one. The C is not only brighter, tighter, has more balls(like in an unreal way), has 10x better clarity, has almost a C+ type feel, has a ton of TIGHT low end, no harshness no matter how you dial it, and....wait for it....is one of the BEST lead amps I've ever played. On the same level as an SLO, or C+. Not even kidding. Try that with any other Recto...they are for the most part rhythm amps only...but not the C.
So, no, you can't get a G or any other Recto to sound just like a C by putting an eq in the loop. If you really compared your friends C with others and believed that, then I suspect there's something off with his C. Maybe Mike B needs to do some work to it.

As far as cost, 5K for a C....6-8K for a C+....4K for a new Friedman....6k for a Wizard....I'd easily pay 5 for a Rev C vs all those other choices..and it's not close. Yes I think the C is the best Mesa I've played, for what I like, over even the 4 C+ I've owned.

This is like saying you can make a Mark III sound just like a C+...well, sure, after all they are Marks and they'll sound similar....but there are still big differences. It's not as simple as 'eq to brighten it' ...ok so it's brighter....so now it's a C? Hard to believe that one. The C is not only brighter, tighter, has more balls(like in an unreal way), has 10x better clarity, has almost a C+ type feel, has a ton of TIGHT low end, no harshness no matter how you dial it, and....wait for it....is one of the BEST lead amps I've ever played. On the same level as an SLO, or C+. Not even kidding. Try that with any other Recto...they are for the most part rhythm amps only...but not the C.
So, no, you can't get a G or any other Recto to sound just like a C by putting an eq in the loop. If you really compared your friends C with others and believed that, then I suspect there's something off with his C. Maybe Mike B needs to do some work to it.

As far as cost, 5K for a C....6-8K for a C+....4K for a new Friedman....6k for a Wizard....I'd easily pay 5 for a Rev C vs all those other choices..and it's not close. Yes I think the C is the best Mesa I've played, for what I like, over even the 4 C+ I've owned.
You have me Gassing but they are 12k, not 5 from what I can find. 12K is way too steep

Back