Fryette Fat Bottom Cab - Fane F70 vs Eminence p50e

stephen sawall":uhru9buw said:
I would be real interested in trying F90 in a Deliverance 4x12.

https://www.fane-acoustics.com/view-pro ... ension-F90
Ditto. Fane ain't cheap.

The thing that gets me about "cabinets" is, well, it's the whole herd mentality thing... I mean, if Bogner, Diezel and Friedman are all getting their "boxes" made by B.A.D., that means they've all got a similar DNA or perhaps - aside from tolex and badge - the same DNA. But yet everyone goes off about them because, well, they've been the flavour of the month at one time or another.

Enter Fryette. Steven is a master. The guy's literally a "sonic engineer". He's funny as hell, and knows "sonics" better than anyone on this board I am almost certain. But seems everyone except true "musicians" or people who work in studios actually give credit to Fryette; know their inherent qualities; understand that they're a cut above the rest; understand that Steven actually worked through the resonant frequencies, response, attack, etc of each prototype design he went through before saying "this is the one!!". Whereas I am - without ANY disrespect - going to look at other designers/manufacturers and state, a large part of "their" decision making doesn't come from the finer details of sonic perfection, but costs vs profits - plain and simple. And we - generally speaking as a populous of internet fiends seeking to waste time talking shop on forums (admitted guilty!!) - fall for the marketing ploys and the YT vids and clips (which are impossible to truly garner *any* appreciation for the gear in question) and are just a bunch of malleable weirdos who'll hit "buy" without really knowing WTF we're doing.

Then you take some of our heroes... Our inspirations. The "talents" who made us pick up the guitar in the first place, who make us want to play more, learn more, get sore fingers and stay up late just riffing away....oddly enough, MANY of these very people give less care about the shit they play through than just getting through the gig, laying their tracks, doing their job, and making great music. It's funny - a juxtaposition - I've watched enough interviews with some of the worlds' best and many of them are NOT gearheads, but simply "talented musicians". They don't even know WTF is in their guitars, what cables they use, what tubes are in their amps. They know what strings they like, a couple of stomps that were with them since they picked up playing, and the groove they and their bandmates want to have carried on in their music.

Weird. So, are we gearheads or musos?? They are indeed two separate entities. *Some* musos are indeed gearheads (Bonamassa, Zappa, etc) but the large majority are not. They're working musicians that just want gear that works - gig after gig - and they've become great by playing the same gear they've had for decades.... Imagine that.

/end rant

Some of Steven Fryette's humour displayed:

Attachments

• Fryette1.jpg
    Fryette1.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 6,289
  • Fryette2.jpg
    Fryette2.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 5,504
  • Fryette3.jpg
    Fryette3.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 5,495
SO, I received the F70 for my ISO Cab. I did a quick test and recorded the same guitar track with the same amp settings along with a Vintage 30 and a G12H-30 for comparison. The Fane is by far the darkest speaker out of the bunch. Therefore, I don't think it's fair using the same amp settings for a comparison demo. The Fane needs more highend to be dialed in. The Celestions however sounded good with the same amp settings as they seem to have the same overall brightness level, but just accentuate different frequencies.

I read that you can get a bit more saturation out of a Deliverance using the Fanes.. I can see this as you will crank the highend more to get the sound right, thereby giving you more perceived gain with the extra treble pumping through the preamp.

36401569743_7ea944dc43_c.jpg

37025689556_1e7dc41a81_c.jpg

Thanks for doing the work on these Fanes man!!

And the "kitty button" laying on the carpet puts you immediately into my "cool good dude" books!!

midnightlaundry":1gpblm5y said:
SO, I received the F70 for my ISO Cab. I did a quick test and recorded the same guitar track with the same amp settings along with a Vintage 30 and a G12H-30 for comparison. The Fane is by far the darkest speaker out of the bunch. Therefore, I don't think it's fair using the same amp settings for a comparison demo. The Fane needs more highend to be dialed in. The Celestions however sounded good with the same amp settings as they seem to have the same overall brightness level, but just accentuate different frequencies.

I read that you can get a bit more saturation out of a Deliverance using the Fanes.. I can see this as you will crank the highend more to get the sound right, thereby giving you more perceived gain with the extra treble pumping through the preamp.

36401569743_7ea944dc43_c.jpg

37025689556_1e7dc41a81_c.jpg
Hey what ISO cab is that? Is that what you used for your Priest recording last week? Was always curious about ISO cabs.

I had pre recorded the other speakers, so I could slap in the F70 and go when I got it but was not wowed right away. Funny how perceived highend in a mix will sway you.. I just got the thing, so I haven't had much time to work with it.

For the record, the amp I used was the Sig-X. My Deliverance is way brighter. Maybe I should just do a demo with the D120 instead.

errrrrl":36hposah said:
midnightlaundry":36hposah said:

Hey what ISO cab is that? Is that what you used for your Priest recording last week? Was always curious about ISO cabs.

Yeah, it was a Sig-X into a Silent Sister with a G12H-30.

Hmm.

I nabbed the Hiwatt 412 IR from 3 Sigma a couple of months ago and it's become one of my main go-to IRs since then. I love that it's highs are tamed but the tone is still clear.

Does anyone know if these F70s or F90s are what Hiwatt uses in their Custom 412s? I dig the IR so much that I'm thinking heavily about hunting down the same speakers or very similar ones for whatever 4x12 I get next.

When I looked into the F70 I noticed there are two: the F70 & F70G. I've looked to find out the differences, but I can't find anything other than a couple of posts on TGP saying they're different models. Anyone know how they are different?

The F70 definitely requires you to EQ your amp differently than you would with a celestion. Once you bump up the highs on the amp, the F70 really comes alive

I had a similar experience with the Sig X I had. I wasn't at all fond of the P50e, but when I swapped them with F90s the amp really came alive to me.

Anyone else try different speakers in their FBs or Deliverances??

I'm about to go postal with 2xV30, 2xGreenback X pattern on my spare D412.

Any feedback - bring it!!
Peace,
Mojo

So here's the 3 clips. I tried cranking up the highend, but found the Fane actually responded really well. I only needed to bump the treble dial up like 1 click to get more bite and that was all.

Treble/highend is really impressionable. If you get a lot real quick, anything less thereafter just seems dull. That said, I put the Fane in the 1st spot on the playlist.

*Disclaimer*
The initial tone was dialed on a live 4x12 cab with Vintage 30's to what I felt sounded good in the room.. The Iso cab imparts it's own sound, so this isn't the end all tone for the haters. I wanted some control and I thought 1 tone fit all, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Not all speakers respond alike so it seems.. But in this example, the amp settings are the same save for an extra click of Treble for the Fanes. If I had a 4X12 of Fane's I might dial in the amp different than what the amp was set at here.

So far, the impression I get from the Fane is that the upper midrange is more spread out and sweet, whereas the Celestions are more pointy and grating to a degree.

https://soundcloud.com/midnightlaundry- ... ne-comparo

Ventura":3d08n1ay said:

I'm about to go postal with 2xV30, 2xGreenback X pattern on my spare D412

Peace,
Mojo

I have the same in a cab and found I liked the greenbacks better on top.

midnightlaundry":2zh303ix said:
So here's the 3 clips. I tried cranking up the highend, but found the Fane actually responded really well. I only needed to bump the treble dial up like 1 click to get more bite and that was all.

Treble/highend is really impressionable. If you get a lot real quick, anything less thereafter just seems dull. That said, I put the Fane in the 1st spot on the playlist.

*Disclaimer*
The initial tone was dialed on a live 4x12 cab with Vintage 30's to what I felt sounded good in the room.. The Iso cab imparts it's own sound, so this isn't the end all tone for the haters. I wanted some control and I thought 1 tone fit all, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Not all speakers respond alike so it seems.. But in this example, the amp settings are the same save for an extra click of Treble for the Fanes. If I had a 4X12 of Fane's I might dial in the amp different than what the amp was set at here.

So far, the impression I get from the Fane is that the upper midrange is more spread out and sweet, whereas the Celestions are more pointy and grating to a degree.

Thank you for the clips. The comparison to the H30 was very helpful. Dig what I'm hearing from the Fanes.

stephen sawall":2bk1z9rc said:
Ventura":2bk1z9rc said:

I'm about to go postal with 2xV30, 2xGreenback X pattern on my spare D412

Peace,
Mojo

I have the same in a cab and found I liked the greenbacks better on top.
Duly noted, thank you :thumbsup:

midnightlaundry":u74xvt3e said:

*Disclaimer*

Nice... I like them in order of Fane, H30 and V30. Are the H30 and V30 "broken in?"

Back