Fryette Fat Bottom Cab - Fane F70 vs Eminence p50e

RedB4Black

Has anyone played a newer Fat Bottom cab with the Fane speakers? Preferably with a Fryette amp.

I'm curious how the tone compares to the p50e. I've never really liked the p50e speakers, but I'm interested in how the Fane speakers sound in the FB cab.

maddnotez":174bbupg said:
I have not but the gear page folks rave about the Fane speakers.

Yeah. I've read all those threads. Unfortunately, most of those guys have different musical tastes than me. :LOL: :LOL:

what Fryette amp are you using it with? I have the older VHT front loaded FB 4x12 with P50E's and those speakers work really well with VHT 50 CL I pair it with so those speakers stay ;)

mhenson42":1sticdwd said:
maddnotez":1sticdwd said:

Yeah. I've read all those threads. Unfortunately, most of those guys have different musical tastes than me. :LOL: :LOL:

Same :thumbsup:

BUT for Steve to start using them over the P50's, that says something to me.

You should really revisit the P50's though if you still have them.

I had a D412, got the P50's and thought wtf is this garbage so I did some speaker swapping. Ended up with Chinese V30 x WGS 75's because it sounded better. I ended up using them in an old Peavey MS412 because the D412 was too tight for me and with gigging I felt better about abusing the Peavey.

I ended up selling the D412 but before I did I plugged it in one last time and was kind of blown away. The P50's sounded awesome. Idk why I did not like them at first and liked them later but I did not want to sell it lol.

I think P50's are odd and maybe take some getting used to. Kind of like the reverse effect of a Sonic Maximizer if that makes any sense. At first the Maximizer sounds so good but after a while you start to realize that it is not so great. With the P50's at first I thought they were bad but after a while I started to appreciate them.

Also one of the best tones I ever had was running all the above in a full stack with my Pitbull. Unfortunately it was just not practical. I was already blowing away our other guitarist with the half stack and full stack was just not an option. All of those together though (poor mans uber cab and P50 in a full stack) was pure bliss.

Sorry for the long rambles.

Shawn Lutz":36hcrjj5 said:
what Fryette amp are you using it with? I have the older VHT front loaded FB 4x12 with P50E's and those speakers work really well with VHT 50 CL I pair it with so those speakers stay ;)

Ultra-Lead. Right now I'm not using a FB cab. I had one but sold it because the amp sounded a lot better with my other cabs. I use the UL with cabs that have Greenback/V30, Scumback M75/J75, Scumback H55/H75 or Creamback H75/v30. I like the tone of all of them, probably best with the Mills cab with H55/H75 combo. I don't think I've ever played an eminence speaker that I liked, which is probably why the FB cab I had didn't excite me. The new speakers in the FB cab interests me though, so I'd like to find out more about them.

maddnotez":horc14ah said:
mhenson42":horc14ah said:
maddnotez":horc14ah said:

I had a D412, got the P50's and thought wtf is this garbage so I did some speaker swapping. Ended up with Chinese V30 x WGS 75's because it sounded better. I ended up using them in an old Peavey MS412 because the D412 was too tight for me and with gigging I felt better about abusing the Peavey.

I ended up selling the D412 but before I did I plugged it in one last time and was kind of blown away. The P50's sounded awesome. Idk why I did not like them at first and liked them later but I did not want to sell it lol.

I think P50's are odd and maybe take some getting used to. Kind of like the reverse effect of a Sonic Maximizer if that makes any sense. At first the Maximizer sounds so good but after a while you start to realize that it is not so great. With the P50's at first I thought they were bad but after a while I started to appreciate them.

Also one of the best tones I ever had was running all the above in a full stack with my Pitbull. Unfortunately it was just not practical. I was already blowing away our other guitarist with the half stack and full stack was just not an option. All of those together though (poor mans uber cab and P50 in a full stack) was pure bliss.

Try some Scumback H55/H75LDC in an x-pattern in that Mills cab you have. Sounds incredible with the Uberschall.

mhenson42":3jjadzi2 said:
maddnotez":3jjadzi2 said:
mhenson42":3jjadzi2 said:
maddnotez":3jjadzi2 said:

Try some Scumback H55/H75LDC in an x-pattern in that Mills cab you have. Sounds incredible with the Uberschall.

:rock:

One day my friend. It is on the list but I need a couple of other small things first. Have been so broke lately due to my gear purge over the last few months. Definitely want to try them and damnit I need some casters for this ridiculous cab :LOL: :LOL:

I took a chance and bought a new Fat Bottom cab with the Fane speakers from MF. Got it a few days ago but I didn't have the chance to really play it until tonight It sounds incredible, huge improvement over the p50e when I had my last FB cab. It's super tight and percussive and has a brighter/grinding tone. The speakers are more efficient than the p50es - which I like. Nice an loud and in your face. The p50es always sounded boxy and hollow in the mids to me. None of that here with the Fanes.

I also snagged a nice 2/90/2 off craigslist today for a great price. Gonna run it in a W/D with the Fryette-badged Splawn cab.

mhenson42":3muguz7e said:
I took a chance and bought a new Fat Bottom cab with the Fane speakers from MF. Got it a few days ago but I didn't have the chance to really play it until tonight It sounds incredible, huge improvement over the p50e when I had my last FB cab. It's super tight and percussive and has a brighter/grinding tone. The speakers are more efficient than the p50es - which I like. Nice an loud and in your face. The p50es always sounded boxy and hollow in the mids to me. None of that here with the Fanes.

I also snagged a nice 2/90/2 off craigslist today for a great price. Gonna run it in a W/D with the Fryette-badged Splawn cab.

Damn, nice score.

Really wish I could buy my pitbull back. Glad you like the Fane's, I ended up with a pair of V12 Legends for my 2x12's because they were cheap but damn they sound so good. I like better than V30 but still want to try that Scumback combo you mentioned.

No experience with P50s, but I have F70s in a Reeves 2x12. Great sounding speaker. Sweet sounding with low gain and have great crunch (no sizzle) with high gain. I like them better than the coveted 90s greenbacks in my 4x12.

Back from the dead..

So what Celestion does the F70 most resemble?? There's not any good comparos that I've found. I'm interested in trying them with my Fryettes but want an idea of what I'm getting..

midnightlaundry":2t7jem3k said:
Back from the dead..

So what Celestion does the F70 most resemble?? There's not any good comparos that I've found. I'm interested in trying them with my Fryettes but want an idea of what I'm getting..

Well...that's the whole deal with the F70..it doesn't really sound like a celestion. It sounds like a Fane, which is more balanced then a celestion in many respects.

The way I hear Vintage 30's with my Fryette's is that there's a lot of low and mid bass. Maybe this is the extended response of the KT88's?

I read a good description of a P50 vs a V30 where it basically says the V30's are sloppy in the bass. However, the Fane's have a heavy magnet vs a medium magnet of the P50.. Would you say the F70 is a tight speaker?

midnightlaundry":3c7inphr said:
The way I hear Vintage 30's with my Fryette's is that there's a lot of low and mid bass. Maybe this is the extended response of the KT88's?

I read a good description of a P50 vs a V30 where it basically says the V30's are sloppy in the bass. However, the Fane's have a heavy magnet vs a medium magnet of the P50.. Would you say the F70 is a tight speaker?

Tight - but not overly so. Super solid low end. Not dark, but not the same kind of high end spike that Celestions have. It's like the highs are shelved down, so they're not piercing. This means that when they're pushed, they have a very musical crunch and don't sizzle like celestions. Fanes were generally made to sound very balanced, while the Celestion sound is based on more extreme EQ. Fanes rock really hard, in a refined and complex sort of way. The F70s sound sick with my Friedman SB.

midnightlaundry":1dhp7xxz said:
Back from the dead..

Do it. Huge improvement with my UL. I think the closest Celestion to it would be a Creamback H75, just based on how I hear it. Though I usually blend the H75s with other speakers (v30s and Alnico Creams)

Back