Two amp setup, whats my best option? The Mark V and Diezel Herbert

shadow070

Hi everyone,

14 years a go i decided to get the Diezel Herbert, i had to choose between that and a Mark V. Now finally i got one!

Im running a broken doen 1x12 at home
Im in yhe maroet for a other cab

So im thinking running them as a dual amp setup, reading about phasing issues and other things, what path would upu advise me?

Thanks in advance
Robert

You should get two things:
- An automatic double tracker pedal like a TC Electronic Mimic or a Strymon Deco to run into the front of your amps. This will give them a really wide sound, while also ensuring that the two amps are being fed slightly difficult signals by your guitars.

- Some kind of pedal that allows you to shift the phase of one of your amps/cabs. Typically, these will have a ground lift built into them to get rid of annoying humming issues. I use a Radial Headlight pedal for this.

On the cabs, it would be a good idea to get two 2x12s for these big amps, as I think a 1z12 won't give you a good representation of the sound. You can then position the 2x12s on either side of a wall/room in order to create a wall of sound. 4x12s will do an even better job, but take up a lot more space. Just be mindful of your speaker choices, as you might love or hate them with either of the amps.

Be aware that most devices that split your signal will degrade your signal, gear that keeps your signal relatively intact is expensive. The Radial JD6 or JD7 is the best splitter I tried, IME cheaper stuff degraded the tone to the point that it wasn’t worth it. I’ve heard good things about some of the Sound Sculpture gear but haven’t tried it myself.

Best one I've tried:

1706713388717.png

So im considering having my Diezel left with a can and the Mark V on the right with a cab
At the moment im using a pedalboard 4cm

So if I understand this correct:
Best is to use a ABY box to switch the amp used at one moment
For effects and getting them stereo its best to use an effects processor?

or:
while retaining the pedalboard I should get a pedal that splits the guitar signal to both amps input and a stereo pedal that's last in the chain leaving the pedalboard to the effects loop of both amps

Is this correct?

Nice rabbit hole im getting myself in to🤣

So im considering having my Diezel left with a can and the Mark V on the right with a cab
At the moment im using a pedalboard 4cm

So if I understand this correct:
Best is to use a ABY box to switch the amp used at one moment
For effects and getting them stereo its best to use an effects processor?

or:
while retaining the pedalboard I should get a pedal that splits the guitar signal to both amps input and a stereo pedal that's last in the chain leaving the pedalboard to the effects loop of both amps

Is this correct?

Nice rabbit hole im getting myself in to🤣

You need to basically use an isolated splitter to send your guitar signal to two amps at once. They will already be in stereo, since they are two independent amps and cabs. For FX, just run them in front of each cab or in the loop. Stereo effects pedals will allow you to wire both FX loops of both amps into a single unit/processor for stereo FX. But if using mono effects, you'll have to buy two of each. Not really necessary, since this would make for a good wet/dry setup, with one amp rigged with FX and the other playing your pure tone. Of course, both amps sound vastly different, so how you tweak them to play well together will be the primary consideration of what you get out of the dual amp setup.

It’s a pain in the fucking dick to do without buying special equipment. Not really special but splitters and aby’s…etc…. Ground loops and such. But damn- when it’s on it’s on. I have been hooked playing stereo for decades. There’s always an issue that pops up. I’m running my tremoverb in stereo with the 100 watt el-34 power section of my Windsor on the other side. Boss Ms-3 for effects in stereo. 2nd amp has a tiny bit of delay on the signal so it’s a few milliseconds behind the main speaker. Everything is hooked up via the 7 cable method with wah and boosts all up front. For a bedroom wanker who never plays…I got it going on…

Last edited:
I've been using an FX8 to run two rigs in stereo with the 4CM. It's my ABY, Effects, and my footswitches for both amps at once.
20230724_191724.jpg

I agree with most everything said so far. But don't get ahead of yourself. Adding stereo FX to BOTH amps will get more complicated. BeZo is handling that with an Axe FX8 - which is great. I would focus first on what cabinets/speakers you want and then what ABY you want. I agree with getting a quality one. I have medium 'ish one and can't remember if it has the ground lift option - I don't think it does. Getting rid of any unwanted noise or phasing should be priority #1. Worry about effects later, and what @nightlight said is what I do. Wet/dry. Run loop effects into one amp.

oeFbnJHl.jpg

don't use a mimiq to split your signal. That added a hell of a loop hum to mine. I need a god aby pedal with all the goodies built in.

I used the Lehle ABY switcher. Has everything needed to prevent loops and can switch phase if needed. I used one for a long time. As @JackBootedThug said it can be a pain the the head of the dick though. Mine worked and worked good but would occasionally have individual amp volume mismatch when playing live. I now have gone to wet/dry single amp.

Back