SD Custom is a great pickup

I don't hate it. I just commented to discuss becase this is a discussion forum. The second sentence I wrote was "I don't hate it", LOL.

I also like slightly overwound PAF-types like the Duncan '59 or DiMarzio PAF 36th, FWIW, but yeah, I just wanted to add to the discussion. I'm by no means implying anyone's opinion is wrong.
I Know you wrote you don't hate it. I just thought it odd that you offered anything at all for a pickup you don't like. So, since there are people that like it, think it's ok & people who love it.....what pickup would you recommend that is similar but addresses the parts you don't like about the SH-5?

I Know you wrote you don't hate it. I just thought it odd that you offered anything at all for a pickup you don't like. So, since there are people that like it, think it's ok & people who love it.....what pickup would you recommend that is similar but addresses the parts you don't like about the SH-5?
Gibson 498T comes to mind, maybe.

Although "similar" is used very loosely here. That would be my go-to mid output pickup for when I want something slightly more open than a full-on high-output wind, but something more focused than a full-on vintage-y wind.

But from the Duncan lineup, I personally prefer the JB when it comes to output close to the Custom. I personally don't find the Custom to be "clearer" than the Distortion. Just more scooped and lower output, but by the time I EQ the amp and set the gain to the levels I like, I don't find it to be any "clearer".

Again, please don't take me the wrong way. Out of the Custom family, the full-on Ceramic Custom would be the one I'd choose. It was just the Custom 5 that I said I hate.

A pickup that I think would be really interesting would be the Full Shred (similar if not the same wind as the Custom) but with a regular Ceramic or an oversized Ceramic magnet.

A pickup that I think would be really interesting would be the Full Shred (similar if not the same wind as the Custom) but with a regular Ceramic or an oversized Ceramic magnet.
I had a Duncan Custom shop pickup you probably would have dug: S-Deco, which on its own is Custom-ish, but less low end and a little more midrange attack. I had them do 2 rows of Allen screws like the full shred and put in an alnico 8 magnet. Miss that pickup. Not saying to shell out for one, but if you ever come across an S-Deco model at a good price, give it a go!

As for the Customs: I like both the Custom and Custom 5 and used both for years doing the skate punk thing and hardcore. Preferred the Custom 5 overall: a bit less bass and a chimey top as opposed to the Custom, which had a really aggressive low and top end.

I had a Custom SH5 (pretty sure that was it) in my 1987 Ibanez RG for many years from the early 1990's to late 2000's and it was my only guitar during that time. It was fine, I didn't really think about it too much back then. It was before I started really experimenting, I.E before I started browsing forums, haha.

I fell in love with the Custom 5 (SH14/TB14) a few years ago and had them in several guitars.

Since this is confusing:

SH-5/TB-5 is a Duncan Custom (ceramic magnets) - I really like these pickups. My favorite in alder for hard rock and classic metal tones.

SH-11/TB-11 Duncan Custom Custom (A2 magnets)

SH-14/TB-15 Duncan Custom 5 (A5 magnets)

And did Eddie use the SH-5 in the late 70's? This ad from Seymour Duncan in 1979 would strongly suggest he did? The ad only ran for 2 months as Eddie had Seymour Duncan remove the link to him. Eddie talked about how he worked with Seymour on his pickups and this was clearly Seymour's take away from their collaboration.

GP Oct 79 pg 17 c_zpskcnq9tlp.jpg
GP Oct 79 pg 17 b_zpswburciq0.jpg

I remember a thread in the Seymour Duncan forum titled "Full Shred + Ceramic = Sex". LOL

I had one in a V years ago & loved it. I sold the guitar but it's always been in the back of my mind that I need another SD custom in something.

I've used the SH-5 Custom in most of my guitars for YEARS. It's a great do-all pickup. Great mids, decent low end, not too fizzy. To me the Custom is like a high output version of the Seth Lover.

I haven’t used the Custom in years but I thought it was cool that you could swap in an A2 magnet and you’ve the Duncan SH-11 , put in an A5 and you’ve got the Duncan SH-14

Ed got upset with SD over that ad. Lawsuit mad.
That ad originated in the 70's in magazines. Thats how the dinasours did it.
Signed : T-rex.

giphy.gif

Percussive is one of the traits I look for in a pickup. I need to get an SH-5 Custom and some different magnets. I hear that the Custom 5 is a good choice for Les Pauls. I hope you and yours are doing well bro.
Doing good bro…. Pups are a crapshoot. I have only heard jb’s through shredder guitars and despised that pup. I heard jb’s kill in Les Pauls though. My custom 5 is awesome in my shredder but might suck in a Paul. According to fricker it’s all snake oil anyway….

Back