SD Custom is a great pickup

anomaly

Thank you to the people that recommended it to me. I noticed quite a big difference in tone going from the stock Alnico 5 pickups to the Custom in my Yamaha. The high end especially, it's just very clear and defined with this pickup and distinct sounding, with a fat low end and mids have a nice growl to them as well... it might turn into my fav pickup so far, above the SD Distortion just because it's so unique sounding.

I once bought a new guitar that had a stock JB in it. The sound was OK but I thought it could be better, so I had a TB-5 Custom installed. (The TB-5 is the Fender spaced version of the SH-5 Custom) It was one of those "Fuck yeah!" moments. The Custom destroys the JB.

There are a lot of pickups that make me smile, but if I had to choose one bridge pickup to play for the rest of my life, I'd have no problem using the Duncan Custom. It's inspiring. It's one of those perfect pickups.

Last edited:
I call the Duncan Custom The Eric Rutan Pickup cause he used one for YEARS until he switched to the Dirty Fingers & now Fishman.

I've had such good luck with the SH5 / TB5 in just about anything I've tried it in. Plenty of sizzle and bite without being harsh or strident. And the Ceramic mag keeps the low end tight - even with lighter weight, softer wood guitars. Enough output to really kick - but still has nice string separation / articulation and cleans up reasonably well with the volume knob.

I also really like the Custom/Custom with the A2 mag - but it can be a little to soft/undefined sounding in lighter weight, softer wood guitars.

Yep I use one in a LP, great with gain. Not a fan of the clean tone but could be my guitar. I want to see how that Custom 14 that's coming in the new LTD EC-01FTs compares.

I have had a Custom Custom for some time now and really like it. The guys at Duncan recommended it to me when I called about the JB being too bright in my Strat. They literally pre shipped a TB-11 to me and told me to just return the JB back them whenever. I was sold on Seymour Duncan ever since :yes:

Somehow only tried one of these in the past year or so and I was really impressed. It's really a "just right" pickup that I wouldn't hesitate to toss into a guitar if I there wasn't something else in particular that I wanted.

I’m a fan as well. My only complaint is they’re not as mid forward as I’d like.

Anyone wanna comment on whether EVH used one to get the brown sound? Saw a compelling YT vid not too long ago. Was it Pete Thorn?

Hate to be the Debbie Downer, but I don't love it, personally. I don't hate it either, but my experience wasn't all that extensive, if I must be honest. I once got a PRS SE that someone had swapped a Custom in. Tried it, thought it was alright, but immediately ripped it out to drop a Black Winter in there, and I was much happier. It was tighter, hotter, more agressive, more focused, and about as clear.

I tend feel like that with mid-output pickups myself. I find they're neither here nor there, in my humble opinion.

I also tried the Custom 5 and HATED it. I also don't think I'd like the Custom Custom.

Last edited:
Hate to be the Debbie Downer, but I don't love it, personally. I don't hate it either, but my experience wasn't all that extensive, if I must be honest. I once got a PRS SE that someone had swapped a Custom in. Tried it, thought it was alright, but immediately ripped it out to drop a Black Winter in there, and I was much happier. It was tighter, hotter, more agressive, more focused, and about as clear.

I tend feel like that with mid-output pickups myself. I find they're neither here nor there, in my humble opinion.

I also tried the Custom 5 and HATED it. I also don't think I'd like the Custom Custom.
Why comment if ya hate it? the black winter for a lot of people is "too much" so in the case of the OP the BW may not work for him. if i remember correctly you used to be an EMG Guy & now you're a High Output Passive guy.....Nothing in between.

Thank you to the people that recommended it to me. I noticed quite a big difference in tone going from the stock Alnico 5 pickups to the Custom in my Yamaha. The high end especially, it's just very clear and defined with this pickup and distinct sounding, with a fat low end and mids have a nice growl to them as well... it might turn into my fav pickup so far, above the SD Distortion just because it's so unique sounding.
This is how the Aldrich was explained to me at one point as a cross between a custom & a JB.....I went with the custom as a starting point.

Why comment if ya hate it? the black winter for a lot of people is "too much" so in the case of the OP the BW may not work for him. if i remember correctly you used to be an EMG Guy & now you're a High Output Passive guy.....Nothing in between.
I don't hate it. I just commented to discuss becase this is a discussion forum. The second sentence I wrote was "I don't hate it", LOL.

I also like slightly overwound PAF-types like the Duncan '59 or DiMarzio PAF 36th, FWIW, but yeah, I just wanted to add to the discussion. I'm by no means implying anyone's opinion is wrong.

Last edited:
Back