BOSS EVH Delay is insane...even at mono

I feel we ain’t seen nothing yet as far as stripes and the EVH juggernaut. Now that he’s gone the businessmen will ramp everything up until we have EVH Bluetooth speakers and fridges. Hopefully I’m wrong.

The best era for him was when he had just started with the signature Wolfgang. Still remember how cool it looked inside Greatest Hits Volume 1 in black. The business and gear side of things was not huge or a main priority.

It’s amazing when you actually think about it in todays “every nobody get a signature guitar” that he didn’t start those things until as late as he did. Different times.

I feel we ain’t seen nothing yet as far as stripes and the EVH juggernaut. Now that he’s gone the businessmen will ramp everything up until we have EVH Bluetooth speakers and fridges. Hopefully I’m wrong.

The best era for him was when he had just started with the signature Wolfgang. Still remember how cool it looked inside Greatest Hits Volume 1 in black. The business and gear side of things was not huge or a main priority.

It’s amazing when you actually think about it in todays “every nobody get a signature guitar” that he didn’t start those things until as late as he did. Different times.
Hard to speak on his mindset about that but when he was younger he was sort of a rebel in terms of everything he did within a rock n roll context. Necessity is the mother of invention as they say. I personally liked it better when he did not have a signature guitar as it was his own creation etc. I liked his tones better too then (but that probably had a lot to do with his amp of choice then as well). But I dig the Wolfgang era as well.

It seems like now the gear has outstripped the music in terms of emphasis. There certainly is more of it these days and that is a blessing and a curse if I may say so.

I don't want to hype it too much if you guys have had $100,000 racks, etc. but I plugged the pedal into just my EVH 5150-III 6L6 Stealth mono and every preset was lush and awesome. I can't wait to hook this up to two amps and eventually WDW. The EVH ones are instant Eddie and just inspiring for tapping, etc.
In the loop, or in front of the amp?

Gonna get one for sure. I i need the stripes, they look bad ass when associated with Ed. Absolutely need the stripes😁

But seriously, perfect dor a simple WDW setup in the living room!!!! I got a couple stereo power amps collecting dust and a couple cabs, might as well do it!!!!
It's cool because the pedal makes it easy to do it. You have a typical effects loop setup with one amp, and then run return to amp from amp 2 and return to amp from amp 3 and super simple.

I am a die-hard Strymon bitch when it comes to delays/chorus.
Just got this pedal today.
Effects are on par with my Fractal . The EVH's delays and modulations/stereo spread are cleaner sounding
Ed's patches are great on this pedal.

I wrote a few Eddie patches on the Fractal but this is way more fun and easier to get at.
Plus I get my own 100 watters to play with and not what Fractal thinks an amp should sound like.

I know there are purest out there that can poo poo on all this but I can not see turning this pedal off anytime soon.
Boss got there shit together with this pedal.

Thanks and a tip of the Hat to Romanian da Reaper for making me spend money.

:thumbsup:

Effects are on par with my Fractal . The EVH's delays and modulations/stereo spread are cleaner sounding

I wrote a few Eddie patches on the Fractal but this is way more fun and easier to get at.
Plus I get my own 100 watters to play with and not what Fractal thinks an amp should sound like.

I know there are purest out there that can poo poo on all this but I can not see turning this pedal off anytime soon.

Hells yeah man, I'm not going to be thr only spender!! Lol. I am going to try the wdw thing soon but the stereo alone is badass! Glad you dig it man. I'm having a blast with it.

Anyone want to share the milliseconds for the EVH delays? I love to recreate it in my Kemper.
The EVH settings more or less correlate to the known settings that were published over the years

398/798 was his standard setting by the end.

360/720 was used for Women in Love

250/500 was used in the 90s.

300 is the classic delay on VHI and others.

I'm fine with people liking the stripes and if they want them on their stuff but I wish they had a no stripes option. I know what the stripes are about and don't want them on everything..it gets a bit overdone for me.

I'm fine with people liking the stripes and if they want them on their stuff but I wish they had a no stripes option. I know what the stripes are about and don't want them on everything..it gets a bit overdone for me.
I get it. I remember when the SRV Strats came out and people wanted an option for the sticker so folks didn't give them crap about thinking they were EVH. The pedal is more conspicuous and hidden than an amp but definitely see your point. I'm such an EVH fan that I love all things stripes but good to have an option.

Have you compared it to the Strymon DIG?
I passed on the EVH because I have the DIG. Popped for the DM-101 instead, way back in June. Prymaxe took my $, but no pedal, and no responses to emails chats.

About a $400.00 price difference between those two . The EVH has tons more options .

Have you compared it to the Strymon DIG?
I passed on the EVH because I have the DIG. Popped for the DM-101 instead, way back in June. Prymaxe took my $, but no pedal, and no responses to emails chats.
Just have a El Cap and had the Timeline 3 different (. too much knob twisting on that one)
ElCap is darker than the Boss EVH.

Almost bought the DIG so I cannot give you a comparison.
Have a Source Audion Nemises as well and it's delays seem darker .

Just have a El Cap and had the Timeline 3 different (. too much knob twisting on that one)

Have had El Cap and Nemesis. Kept the DIG. Nemesis had some good sounds, but the simplicity of the DIG, and the fact it is super close to the SDE3000 and Dd2, won out.

Last edited:

Bumping this back up.

My buddy bought the EVH Sde3000 last week. He brought it over today and we shot it out with my DIG v1.
Short story, I just got home from GC with my own EVH SDE3000. Got it for 15% off. Ask, and they'll do it.

Longer story:
I've had the rack SDE3000 and the DD2. I compared the DIG to those, and preferred the sound of the Boss/Roland units, by like 5%, but much preferred the functionality of the DIG.
Compared to the EVH SDE, l could get the DIG to closely match the EVH settings and sounds. There is a hair more depth, air and clarity on the EVH. Hardly detectable when you spend the time to dial em in.
But! It's a huge pain in the ass to dial in the DIG to match. 2ndary functions on the knobs, pull apart the pedal to set the inner jumper to mono or stereo, only one preset, that you have to use an extra switch for.
What a bitch. Honestly, I'll never spend the time. V2 of the DIG addresses the stereo setting and presets (if you use an extra midi controller), but the secondary knob functions, and no time/menu display, are still a bitch!!!

Taking all that into consideration, and the bonus of having a built in noise gate (that's really good), and no need for outboard gear to go w/d/w...
The EVH is a no brainer.

It's as easy as hitting a button or 2 to go stereo or mono, and switch between several EVH settings. And if I want to explore, the pedal is way deeper than the DIG, allowing me to get whatever I want out of it.

It's an inspiring pedal. I find myself getting lost in it, whether I'm shredding dirty or finger picking clean.

Funny thing...I bought the EVH 78 Eruption guitar last Tuesday. Got a huge discount on it, about half of the $1599 normal price. My buddy with the EVH delay is so impressed with it, that he's grabbing one for himself. The sound and playability stands up to his Anderson Pro Am and my Suhr Modern. The setup, ability to stay in tune and overall quality is another story. But for a beater guitar that you you can take anywhere and not worry about, it's a pretty good deal. At that price anyway. It's severely overpriced for what it is.

Anyway, the SDE3000 EVH is probably the best digital delay pedal I've ever heard, and well worth the $, if you're into that kinda thing.

Last edited:
I've started digging into the pedal's functionality as a chorus/flanger and I love it.

The modulation is very rich, and the controls offer a ton of flexibility. I've been able to get something akin to the SPX90 "Symphonic" sound, and I can still pair it with another delay in a single patch.

Back