Do I sell my Wizard or take Boss to small claims court?

@ErikT just bring ya amp to ya local amp tech and getta wizard mtl replacement OT from MM... fix !! Else do let me know what ya price... if ya willing to ship overseas i be willing to take it off from ya hahah...

Its far more likely there was a defect with the amp. Attenuator mfgs have long became the target of similar accusations, but the truth is that attenuators only reveal the issues with the amps...well most of the time.

It was determined the unit was defective....

Called Boss and they were aware of my plight from an email I'd sent (never got back to me ever, I've always had to reach out). Decided to send the TAE back to Sweetwater to see if the unit was defective or not. Turns out it was (I didn't get an exact written reason why) and they gave me the RMA number for sending it back to Boss, when I asked. I then proceeded to contact Boss now that I knew it was a defective unit and have received deafening silence in return.

I've used numerous Wizards with a few different Fryette attenuators and my amps have never blown up.

It was determined the unit was defective....

I've used numerous Wizards with a few different Fryette attenuators and my amps have never blown up.
It was not determined by boss or wizard that the attenuator was defective. Sweetwater said so, based off who knows what information.

Speaking of which, if sw could provide said info then op could submit that....
Nothing like bringing up the dead huh

Well its still on going...

According to a new guy that joined today who’s sole involvement in this website so far is two posts in this thread....hmm that’s sorta odd...considering OP got his amp back in January of 2021.

BTW welcome to Rig Talk, actual tech knowledge is always appreciated. Any links or clips of amps you’ve built?

It was not determined by boss or wizard that the attenuator was defective. Sweetwater said so, based off who knows what information.

Speaking of which, if sw could provide said info then op could submit that....

What's still on-going?

I'm just going off what the OP post. Rick repaired the amp and I believe the OP has since sold it. Boss went MIA according to the post. Do you work for Boss?

I'm not gonna post it, but I do know what Rick had to say about the damage to that particular amp. lol

What's still on-going?

I'm just going off what the OP post. Rick repaired the amp and I believe the OP has since sold it. Boss went MIA according to the post. Do you work for Boss?

I'm not gonna post it, but I do know what Rick had to say about the damage to that particular amp. lol
Would love a PM about that. My local tech said it was flyback voltage from the Boss Waza unit. He's said he's since heard of this happening to other people too.

Yeah it's since fixed, updated and sold. Maybe one day I'll have a Wizard again, amp was perfect. Gotta love the Necro bump. Haha.

Would love a PM about that. My local tech said it was flyback voltage from the Boss Waza unit. He's said he's since heard of this happening to other people too.

Yeah it's since fixed, updated and sold. Maybe one day I'll have a Wizard again, amp was perfect. Gotta love the Necro bump. Haha.
Hahah yeah, necro bump from a guy that joined today and posted twice only in this thread, in a manner and language that kinda of makes him look like a Boss employee who's stuck sorting this out with Sweetwater, cuz ya know "well its still going on..." How would he / she know that?

Hope you find yourself able to get another Wizard soon, they are damn near perfect :rock:

Wizard isnt the most reliable customer service. In fact I think that Rick is a Dick.:unsure:
I bought a 2nd hand MTL 100 on Reverb and emailed Rick a couple of questions which he responded to within a couple of hours. Maybe it’s the approach.
I recommend .20mgs of valium with a shot of MM and try again.

Sometimes words like please and thank you help too but then again it’s quite possible the dudes just a douche but from what I know he’s a man of great stature who makes amps that are fucking amazeballs

Attachments

• IMG_6869.jpeg
    IMG_6869.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 20
Why would an amp designer do that? To have a steady stream of repairs coming in and conveniently offering $2K "upgrades" while its there?
This is killer advice.
I can attest my ‘22 MTL 100 is has 4 and 10 amp fuses .
Rick says he does this intentionally and it’s a good thing ,, something about the tubes.
I think the idea is to avoid having a fuse blow mid performance from something minor like a small voltage flux.
I highly doubt it’s anything nefarious.
The guy built his reputation over 30 years of building high quality rigs , not nickel and diming people on repairs

This is killer advice.
I can attest my ‘22 MTL 100 is has 4 and 10 amp fuses .
Rick says he does this intentionally and it’s a good thing ,, something about the tubes.
I think the idea is to avoid having a fuse blow mid performance from something minor like a small voltage flux.
I highly doubt it’s anything nefarious.
The guy built his reputation over 30 years of building high quality rigs , not nickel and diming people on repairs
You might want to lower that because the fuse is not doing it's job, which is to protect your transformer. 10 amp is way to high. If you have a tube voltage arc you will blow a transformer rather than the fuse. It happened to my Wizard. You are free of course to think what you wish. It's your amp but I am telling you without any doubt what I know to be accurate information. A 10 amp fuse will allow far too much current through it and your transformer will not handle it in the case of a tube arcing.

That sucks. Hope you get this sorted out. I will be staying away from the TAE, one too many stories of this happening.

You might want to lower that because the fuse is not doing it's job, which is to protect your transformer. 10 amp is way to high. If you have a tube voltage arc you will blow a transformer rather than the fuse. It happened to my Wizard. You are free of course to think what you wish. It's your amp but I am telling you without any doubt what I know to be accurate information. A 10 amp fuse will allow far too much current through it and your transformer will not handle it in the case of a tube arcing.
:oops: now I feel the need to go check all my amps. Shouldn't most larger amps be like 2-3 amp fuses? I'm surprised something as boutique as Wizard would use 10.

The way the load works in the TAE does not sound safe to me.

I'm not an expert, and i'm sure the TAE owners will rave about it sounding great, which it probably does - all boss stuff sounds good.

But there's a reason I got a powerstation instead. I've heard a bunch of stories of blown OTs on the internet and have two IRL friends who've blown transformers with a TAE. One with a DSL, and one with a tophat emplex.

The TAE is fine, just don't change the Z values while an amp is live running signal into it.

I've got both a TAE and a PS100

My Suhr SL68 blew fuses thru the TAE. My SLO worked fine thru it. Sold it and would never consider it again

Back