SD Custom is a great pickup

I'm a SD fan, but my main guitars are EBMM EVHs and Axis. A few of my Axis don't have the original DiMarzios, so I don't mind experimenting with other pups in those. Does SD make anything that's a direct drop-in in an Axis like DiMarzios? I don't know that I want to bother filing down the legs or having other fitment issues.

I had the ceramic custom in 2 guitars over the years and it ROCKS. I had it in my PRS Custom 22 and also in my Charvel Strat. It is a very versatile pickup, it can do metal no problem, early VH (see Pete Thorns VH pickup shootout) and also classic rock.

For those that like the Custom but think it’s just not “quite” there, I recommend the Manlius Asphalt with his Ceramic 8 option. I have a white Gibby V that is a dedicated Schenker guitar. I went through the following bridge pups before settling on the Manlius:

Gibson 70’s Tribute (stock JB like)
500T
Dean Lights Out
Duncan Custom
Tonenerd Roxy
BKP Cold Sweat
Manlius DF
Manlius ceramic Asphalt

The Asphalt takes the Custom and adds a more vintage flavor to the mids and shelves the top end “fizz” I sometimes hear in the Duncan. It’s not so clinical sounding and a lot more dynamic. Definitely fits more of the PAF on steroids description.

For those that like the Custom but think it’s just not “quite” there, I recommend the Manlius Asphalt with his Ceramic 8 option. I have a white Gibby V that is a dedicated Schenker guitar. I went through the following bridge pups before settling on the Manlius:

Gibson 70’s Tribute (stock JB like)
500T
Dean Lights Out
Duncan Custom
Tonenerd Roxy
BKP Cold Sweat
Manlius DF
Manlius ceramic Asphalt

The Asphalt takes the Custom and adds a more vintage flavor to the mids and shelves the top end “fizz” I sometimes hear in the Duncan. It’s not so clinical sounding and a lot more dynamic. Definitely fits more of the PAF on steroids description.
Lot's of people describe Duncan pickups as not being quite there, but I find they have some of the best most organic sounding pickups out of all the pickups i've tried, all that said i'm not sure the Custom is for me?? After more time with it I notice that it's lacking some mid presence. Love the high end of it though. I think the Distortion may still be my fav SD pickup cause I can dial out some of the excessive top end sizzle that pickup has with my amp, and the mids are great and grindy and the low end really tight. The only pickup I might still like better than the distortion is the EMG-81 because it just sounds so balanced to me and has an aggression I can't get out of passives.

Lot's of people describe Duncan pickups as not being quite there, but I find they have some of the best most organic sounding pickups out of all the pickups i've tried, all that said i'm not sure the Custom is for me?? After more time with it I notice that it's lacking some mid presence. Love the high end of it though. I think the Distortion may still be my fav SD pickup cause I can dial out some of the excessive top end sizzle that pickup has with my amp, and the mids are great and grindy and the low end really tight. The only pickup I might still like better than the distortion is the EMG-81 because it just sounds so balanced to me and has an aggression I can't get out of passives.
I like the Custom a lot, but kind of liking the Nazgul better these days for a similar type thing. Chunky low end, scooped lower mids, upper mid spike for the crunchies, reduced presence.

I'm a SD fan, but my main guitars are EBMM EVHs and Axis. A few of my Axis don't have the original DiMarzios, so I don't mind experimenting with other pups in those. Does SD make anything that's a direct drop-in in an Axis like DiMarzios? I don't know that I want to bother filing down the legs or having other fitment issues.
You can order them as shop floor custom with triangle mounting feet, as far as i know

I like the Custom a lot, but kind of liking the Nazgul better these days for a similar type thing. Chunky low end, scooped lower mids, upper mid spike for the crunchies, reduced presence.
I never tried the Nazgul, i heard it's for downtuned metal though,, not so much for standard tuned or Eb.

I never tried the Nazgul, i heard it's for downtuned metal though,, not so much for standard tuned or Eb.
I have it in a guitar tuned to D. It does good for Pantera style playing. Chunk and crunch. Little bit metallic in the upper mids.

I have it in a guitar tuned to D. It does good for Pantera style playing. Chunk and crunch. Little bit metallic in the upper mids.
As low as I go is Drop-C, but not too often. Mostly I'm in standard E or drop-D. I'll give it a try sometime.

Back