Vinnie Vincent - What Is Going On?

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall during the Happy Days sessions!!! I can imagine a whole new world of WTF??!! LOL
VV had some moments but is now nuttier than a box of almond roca.

i spoke to henry winkler about the era when potsie had to do a regular musical vocal performance at arnolds with richie on drums and ralph malph on piano, to cater to his diva demands in an attempt to make a musical career for himself. eveyone on the cast hated that lame waste of time and to hear the fonz himself bag on the potsie band performances was priceless!

vinnie and potsie sound like a dream come true.
Potsie Gibson.jpg

This really sums him up:

"We were on tour with Iron Maiden," remembered Slaughter. "I was talking guitar player talk with him, and I go ‘I love Jeff Beck.' He starts playing this Jeff Beck stuff, and I’m like, ‘You’ve got to be kidding me’ — and the next thing you know, Dave Murray and all the guys from Iron Maiden and their techs are standing outside our dressing room watching him play this stuff and going, ‘Mate, why don’t you play like that?’ Vinnie goes, ‘Because it’s boring.’ He was just trying to be recognized with the shredders."

Read More: Mark Slaughter Looks Back on the Band Mutiny That Ended the Vinnie Vincent Invasion | https://ultimateclassicrock.com/vinnie-vincent-invasion-end/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

Vinnie sounds like the Batio before Batio started doing the speed kills pinball machine solos. He's a creepy dude ( Vincent I mean) and he can barely play anymore.

Yes, " transition" should also be on that list of " accomplishments". Professional scammer too.

VV had some moments but is now nuttier than a box of almond roca.

i spoke to henry winkler about the era when potsie had to do a regular musical vocal performance at arnolds with richie on drums and ralph malph on piano, to cater to his diva demands in an attempt to make a musical career for himself. eveyone on the cast hated that lame waste of time and to hear the fonz himself bag on the potsie band performances was priceless!

vinnie and potsie sound like a dream come true.View attachment 289679
Man, what a great story! LOL

He told Jas Orbchet in GP magazine that Beck was his biggest influence, that he learned everything Beck ever did note for note like EVH with Clapton. And he took jazz lessons for years. His pre Kiss band Warrior had future members of Yngwie era Alcatraz. So his past isn’t just Dan Hartman. He played with Felix Cavilere of the Young Rascals in a band called Treasure. Some good soloing on that record.

Paul ragging on Vinnie sounds completely like100% professional jealousy. Vinnie is a much better player than Paul, and IMO he wrote better songs. Paul dishes lots of dirt on tons of people in his book, but he was the last to publish too, so he sort of had the last word. Plus he’s a bigger bitch than Vinnie would ever be, even if Vinnie transitions for real. Vinnie’s whole problem with Kiss was he felt the employment contract was unfair. People generally side with Jake E Lee over Ozzy on the publishing raw deal he got, sort of the same deal here. Kiss was dying. They were passé in a post VH/LA metal world. Vinnie updated their sound and, it’s been said, their look to compete, and the thanks he got was peanuts. He was married with 2 young girls at the time. He felt it was unfair, and I agree with him. That being said, he needed their quality control to a certain extent in the solo department, as evidenced by VVI. I personally love that album, but even I would agree (being a VV fan) that it’s ridiculous overplaying on every solo. And the whole thing just rubs people wrong to this day. The more recent events in his life haven’t done anything to change peoples minds about him, and all that is squarely on him. FWIW
Disagree somewhat. It seems to me it's always easier for people to side with the guy on the outside i.e. not fair etc... yet the guys that stayed the course and kept the thing from going into the ditch numerous times seem to get the blame when in reality it probably should be the opposite.

I mean guys scratch and claw, basically put everything they've got into "making it" and some people can't deal with it. So should the one's that can keep their heads on straight throw their careers away for a bunch of knuckleheads? No from my perspective.

Ace got famous, preferred drinking to working, Peter got famous preferred drugs to working - I've just never seen how that's Gene and Paul's fault.

VV is handed the keys to the kingdom and from the get go refuses to sign their contract. Why? No doubt the longer he stayed the more he would have gotten. Sorta like showing up to a new job and demanding more than they are gonna start you off with. Further Kiss the business wasn't exactly rolling in dough at the time VV joined. 30 - 40k was about the going rate for a hired gun at the time which was about what Jake was making. At that point isn't it on him to say no thank you? 14 times he's sued them and lost.

Now did VV really update their sound, to a degree yes. But go back to the credits on COTN, Vinnie had exactly three co-writes on that album. I'd say the guy who had more of a hand in getting them up to speed was Eric Carr who was continually pushing the guys to get heavier. VV had more of hand in Lick it Up however the following albums had some pretty damn good heavy tunes where he wasn't involved.

Personally I liked Vinnie alot in Kiss, I wished he'd been smart enough to stay. That version is my favorite and I go back to '75 with the band. They were smoking live but ultimately this comes down to knowing his role, people either accept or don't. If I'm in that position I'm sticking it out because you're already ahead of the curve i.e. an established band that was on the comeback. As the old knight said in Indiana Jones, he chose poorly.

Dynasty was the end of Kiss being relevant. It was also my first concert. October 2, 1979 at The Checkerdome in St. Louis. Luckily they only played a song or two off Dynasty, everything else was the good shit. 100,000 Years, She, Got To Choose, Black Diamond, Cold Gin, Shock Me, etc.. John Cougar opened and was boo'ed off the stage.

Those first 7 or 8 Kiss albums were great. Those songs still kick ass.

I can't say I ever heard a VV song. Maybe. Couldn't name one. Definitely looks like a tranny.
I go back to '75 with the band, I'm a diehard and as much as I love the early stuff - Creatures of the Night kills. That album and Revenge are really the only albums by them that still listen too. Hell, listening to Eric Carr on Creatures is enough reason to check it out. Amazing album, great songs, great playing.

I think there are songs or at least riffs he’s not credited with on Creatures AND future albums. There’s no way Bruce came up with those diminished licks in Unholy for example. My opinion.

He told Jas Orbchet in GP magazine that Beck was his biggest influence, that he learned everything Beck ever did note for note like EVH with Clapton. And he took jazz lessons for years. His pre Kiss band Warrior had future members of Yngwie era Alcatraz. So his past isn’t just Dan Hartman. He played with Felix Cavilere of the Young Rascals in a band called Treasure. Some good soloing on that record.
He also did work on a Laura Nero and a Bangles album.

Sometimes in life people refuse to see the great situation they have and instead of making the most of that, they make a bad choice and blow it. The Invasion records to me were terrible and I thought so as a kid. Way too much overplaying and slop. It was almost a caricature of a the typical metal band of the day. VV could have had a run like Bruce Kulick in Kiss. Tell me that was not a bad career? I bet he could have written more songs as well for them.

Sometimes in life people refuse to see the great situation they have and instead of making the most of that, they make a bad choice and blow it. The Invasion records to me were terrible and I thought so as a kid. Way too much overplaying and slop. It was almost a caricature of a the typical metal band of the day. VV could have had a run like Bruce Kulick in Kiss. Tell me that was not a bad career? I bet he could have written more songs as well for them.
Its just his nature. I dont think he thought he was making bad decisions, its just he follows his own way of thinking, which unfortunately isnt always the best career move. He would have been better off taking the back seat and did the Kulick thing. He would have lasted a long time with them. Turns out he went full blown nuts later on so who knows how long he really would have lasted with them. LOL

I don't know if there is enough money on planet earth to have to listen to Gene Simmons speak for more than a minute or two let alone be in a band with him.

Last edited:
Back